Winter 2017-18

Old Jan 2nd 2018, 12:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter 2017-18

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That's why I'm adding a generator connection this year. Truth to tell, we've had very few outages lasting longer than an hour or so in the 13 years we've been in this place. But when it does go out we lose the water which is a pain & there is also the frustration of knowing that if only we had a little bit of elek-trickery we'd be able to run the oil fired heating. So, since we're having electrical work done as part of a reno, I'm going to get a generator panel or one of these Transfer Switch | Global Power Products installed.

Haven't purchased a gennie yet but it'll be a portable version rather than anything permanently installed. Of course, if it's in the garage, one has to get it out of the garage when the power goes out & the powered garage door isn't working. (So opening it manually).
Oh my, I sob for your first world problems. Our garage door isn't powered anyway and, indeed, when the garage remodeling man comes, it'll have two unpowered doors.

That does look a cost effective gadget but you won't have the joy of feeling like Doctor Frankenstein when hauling on the giant power lever.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 12:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh my, I sob for your first world problems. Our garage door isn't powered anyway and, indeed, when the garage remodeling man comes, it'll have two unpowered doors.

That does look a cost effective gadget but you won't have the joy of feeling like Doctor Frankenstein when hauling on the giant power lever.
13 years of powered garage door ownership & I still hum the Thunderbirds theme tune when I press the "open" button...
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 1:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

35-45cm expected Thursday.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 1:44 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
35-45cm expected Thursday.
And strong winds, judging by the depth of the low tracking through. For this part of the world it will be a bit of snow then rain as it's tracking through the Gulf of St Lawrence. Rain means less shovelling but of course when it all freezes it means ice!
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 2:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

13 years of powered garage door ownership & I still hum the Thunderbirds theme tune when I press the "open" button...
We can't be having such extravagance, powering a garage door costs almost as much as board for a horse for a month.

The weather here is not very good, btw, we had more than a foot of "scattered flurries" overnight, it's still snowing and very windy. The garden usefulness threshold has been breached; we can no longer turn the dogs loose in the backyard as the snow is deeper than the fence (4' 6") and they could just walk out over the fence. That usually happens in February.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 2nd 2018 at 3:02 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 3:03 pm
Slightly Canadian

We can't be having such extravagance, powering a garage door costs almost as much as board for a horse for a month.
I'm free of such equine cost considerations, but the downside of the powered garage door is the shagging around with the magic eye sensor that invariably gets covered with snow thus refusing to close the garage door unless you keep your finger on the button. I have, upon occasion, hit the close button and left for work, coming home some hours later to find the door wide open and everything inside covered in snow. (but still there, which was some relief).
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 6:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

The weather here is not very good, btw, we had more than a foot of "scattered flurries" overnight, it's still snowing and very windy. The garden usefulness threshold has been breached; we can no longer turn the dogs loose in the backyard as the snow is deeper than the fence (4' 6") and they could just walk out over the fence. That usually happens in February.
Last year in Feb, I had to get a man with a tractor and snowblower to clear the fence line so the dog wouldn't jump (or step) over the fence. Not yet at that stage this year but the three days of sustained galeforce winds caused two panels to fall down & my temporary snow fence fix proved inadequate to keep the beagle contained. So he spent 12 hours on NYE roaming the woods nearby, only coming home when cold, wet and hungry.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Its not bad here today, plus 3, a bit cloudy but no rain. Low of +2 overnight, but rain starts back up Thursday....

Have to give kudos to the builder of our building, it's very well insulated, have not lived anywhere in Canada before where heat hasn't been turned on by January...

Joys of having heated retail space below, heated interior hallways...Most days we have a window open as it gets too warm inside...
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Its not bad here today, plus 3, a bit cloudy but no rain. Low of +2 overnight, but rain starts back up Thursday....

Have to give kudos to the builder of our building, it's very well insulated, have not lived anywhere in Canada before where heat hasn't been turned on by January...

Joys of having heated retail space below, heated interior hallways...Most days we have a window open as it gets too warm inside...
Hey there are many of us in Ontario and Quebec who aren't experiencing your kind of winter. It would be nice to open the windows here to freshen things up a bit.

I dread to see my next natural gas bill. This week has been -30 c w/o windchill in Ottawa apparently the coldest in 9 years.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I have, upon occasion, hit the close button and left for work, coming home some hours later to find the door wide open and everything inside covered in snow. (but still there, which was some relief).
This is why we always check it's closed before we drive away .

Though, in our case, it's usually due to a chunk of ice getting stuck to the bottom of the door and triggering the sensor.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:47 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I have just returned from 12 days in Florida, the weather over crimbo was beautiful, then the last few days got 'cold'.

A weather advisory was issued today as it may reach zero degrees celsius overnight
Attached Thumbnails Winter 2017-18-screen-shot-2018-01-03-5.44.33-pm.png  
Old Jan 5th 2018, 6:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The Atlantic weather bomb seems to have missed us. Or Star Wars technology shot it down.

Not seen any official figures yet but the depth I cleared from the steps was only a few inches. I wasn't aware of any freezing rain here, just a short period of ice pellets and then normal rain which must have taken care of some of the snow.

It's messy and has been very very windy and, of course, it's freezing up a bit now. After a couple of balmy days of temperatures slightly above zero with the feels like taking it just below, we're moving back tp -18/-30.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 6:47 pm
Slightly Canadian

We had a windy night and about 8cm of snow before it turned to rain. Went out and cleared it all today before the temp drops tonight and it all freezes. This afternoon St John's NL was warmer than Orlando. (9C vs 0C!).
Old Jan 5th 2018, 7:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Going down to -35c to -42c tonight.

Not amused.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 7:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

We had a windy night and about 8cm of snow before it turned to rain. Went out and cleared it all today before the temp drops tonight and it all freezes. This afternoon St John's NL was warmer than Orlando. (9C vs 0C!).
It is extremely cold here (see previous post) with lots of snow. The car is stuck in the snow. The tractor battery is dead and the truck heater has packed up. Tractor and car have to be sorted before the coming storm which means working in the dark. I believe that my right ear, never a particularly attractive ear, is frostbitten, certainly it looks as if I have pursued an unsuccessful career in boxing.

I could have gone to Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.