Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Will our PC's work in Canada?

Will our PC's work in Canada?

Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Shazzy101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will our PC's work in Canada?

Can anybody tell me if our Dell Pc's will work in Canada?

We have windows XP

We are also trying to find out if what the electricity voltage is over there as we are bringing some machinery over

Thanks very much
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:49 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will our PC's work in Canada?

Originally Posted by Shazzy101
Can anybody tell me if our Dell Pc's will work in Canada?

We have windows XP

We are also trying to find out if what the electricity voltage is over there as we are bringing some machinery over

Thanks very much
The answer(s) to your questions are:

Yes

Upgrade to vista (I think NOT)

and DO A BLOODY SEARCH
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:51 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Canada uses 110 volts. Well technically two 110 volt rails but it gets complicated. Basically check if the power supply on the back of the PC has a switch to change between 230 and 110. If it has then it'll work fine, if not then it's a bit trickier. You can replace the power supply but on a Dell that's unlikely to be possible.

Basically most electronics I wouldn't recommend taking over, the wrong voltages will cause problems. Machinery especially will be a bad idea unless you get expensive transformers but then you still have to put up with the difference in frequency which can be a problem for motors.

Basically laptops will be fine as their power supplies allow many voltages and frequencies as inputs, but most other items won't be.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
The answer(s) to your questions are:

Yes

Upgrade to vista (I think NOT)

and DO A BLOODY SEARCH
Thank you, but I did a search and it didnt come up with anything !
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:56 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, but I did a search and it didnt come up with anything !
It should have honest it should.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Canada uses 110 volts. Well technically two 110 volt rails but it gets complicated. Basically check if the power supply on the back of the PC has a switch to change between 230 and 110. If it has then it'll work fine, if not then it's a bit trickier. You can replace the power supply but on a Dell that's unlikely to be possible.

Basically most electronics I wouldn't recommend taking over, the wrong voltages will cause problems. Machinery especially will be a bad idea unless you get expensive transformers but then you still have to put up with the difference in frequency which can be a problem for motors.

Basically laptops will be fine as their power supplies allow many voltages and frequencies as inputs, but most other items won't be.
Hi thanks for your reply, will check the PC's
We are taking electrics like a test bench etc so will check it out
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
It should have honest it should.
Hee hee maybe I am just thick then !!
Anyway thanks for help
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell

Hello again,

Do you happen to know if it is 415 3-phase?

Cheers
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:18 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Shazzy, this old thread entitled Electrical Goods has some good info.

Hello again,

Do you happen to know if it is 415 3-phase?

Cheers
I don't know what 415 3-phase is.

This past weekend I was doing some research on Canadian electricity. What I read stated that the power supply that travelled from the edge of your property to the distribution box in your house consisted of 2 wires that were 120 volts each. They were offset (or some word that was similar to offset) from each other by 180 something or other (180 degrees?), resulting in a power supply of 240 volts. The third wire was the ground.

The 240 volts is used to power stoves and clothes dryers in Canadian houses. However, the rest of the wiring in a Canadian house is 110 volts, as has been stated in this thread. I guess the 110 volt supply is achieved by splitting those wires that come into the distribution box.

But, even if you think your British 240 volt stove and clothes dryer will work in Canada, I recommend against bringing them. First of all, a Canadian house almost always is sold with a stove already in it. Secondly, if you regularly operate a household appliance, such as a clothes dryer, that is not CSA (Canadian Standards Association) approved, it most likely will render your home owners or renters insurance policy null and void.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Judy

Thanks for all of the helpful info - the Wiki is really good.

Best regards

Sharon
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to all

We brought over some electrical things last year:

My ceramic hair straighteners are fine with a travel plug because they have an adjustable thermostat thingy on them. (GHD's tend not to work here too well.)

Our PC is still running fine here - the same one we had at home. (Think hubby tweaked something on it though....... I think the switch for voltage and changed the power cable.) Cheaper than buying another computer.

Our laptop came to and it is going well.

Our music system did not like the change and although we could still get music it would not show the graphics etc on the front, so we are going to get one here.

Fibre Optic Xmas tree - yes I brought it - well I knew they did not really have the selection here which I was right about so we used it at Xmas with a transformer. (Imagine a bushy green tree with only tiny little white lights on it..... nice a simple............ when it comes to Xmas, Canadians don't tend to go for nice and simple!)
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Madmac

My ceramic hair straighteners are fine with a travel plug because they have an adjustable thermostat thingy on them. (GHD's tend not to work here too well.)

Our PC is still running fine here - the same one we had at home. (Think hubby tweaked something on it though....... I think the switch for voltage and changed the power cable.) Cheaper than buying another computer.

Our music system did not like the change and although we could still get music it would not show the graphics etc on the front, so we are going to get one here.

Fibre Optic Xmas tree - yes I brought it - well I knew they did not really have the selection here which I was right about so we used it at Xmas with a transformer. (Imagine a bushy green tree with only tiny little white lights on it..... nice a simple............ when it comes to Xmas, Canadians don't tend to go for nice and simple!)

Oh, for gods sake, not more electrical idiocy. Judy, if you need any help on your wiki article givussa shout.

(Sorry MrsMM, this is not directed at you, but rather the OP who clearly owns a PC but doesn't have a clue about either how it works or what you can use it for.)
Old Apr 12th 2007, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh, for gods sake, not more electrical idiocy. Judy, if you need any help on your wiki article givussa shout.

(Sorry MrsMM, this is not directed at you, but rather the OP who clearly owns a PC but doesn't have a clue about either how it works or what you can use it for.)
Sorry, obviously we do not know anything about the electrical voltage in Canada for our PCs, as we have never needed to know it before.
Thought that this forum was for asking such questions, that there would be helpful people on here.
Obviously I was wrong.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrs Madmac

Thanks for the reply Mrs MM

Very useful info, we have a fibre optic xmas tree as well! Luckily i dont need straighteners as I have curly hair !

Thank you for your time again
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:04 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

I think that was a bit harsh, the OP obviously asked as they genuinely didn't know. Not everyone who owns a PC has to know about voltages, currents and frequencies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.