Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

WILL our kingdom stay united?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: WILL the UK remain united after Scotland's referendum?
Rule Brittania! (Scotland will vote to stay)
69.35%
Away wi ye! (Scotland votes for independence)
30.65%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

WILL our kingdom stay united?

Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WILL our kingdom stay united?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Your comprehension needs working on.
No, it doesn't.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:12 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if they have factored in that "no" voters are more likely to keep it quiet like they have to with Tory voters in general elections.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:31 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I wonder if they have factored in that "no" voters are more likely to keep it quiet like they have to with Tory voters in general elections.
The pollsters most certainly haven't (and shouldn't have) done that.

The value of polls in general appears to be reflected in the results of the one at the top of this thread.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

It will be interesting to see if that turns out to be the case. I suspect the voters know that be appearing to flirt with independence they extract the best deal out of the rUK.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:48 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
It will be interesting to see if that turns out to be the case. I suspect the voters know that be appearing to flirt with independence they extract the best deal out of the rUK.
I think it might be a 2008 Obamaesque faith in Salmond's utopia.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Could be indicative of rising confidence in a Yes and/or a political statement that Scottish votes don't matter.
It could be a sign of hubris. They're generally pretty good at keeping the fleece on well.

Cameron has to keep out of the way and allow Milliband to be projected as the next labour PM of the UK. It could go down to the labour voters in the central belt to decide this.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:50 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
It could be a sign of hubris. They're generally pretty good at keeping the fleece on well.

Cameron has to keep out of the way and allow Milliband to be projected as the next labour PM of the UK. It could go down to the labour voters in the central belt to decide this.
The horse has already bolted. Milliband asleep at the wheel as usual.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:51 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The pollsters most certainly haven't (and shouldn't have) done that.

The value of polls in general appears to be reflected in the results of the one at the top of this thread.
Are you suggesting that pollsters shouldn't factor out known biases?

UK general election polls have been spot on since Blair won in 97. Whether or not they are valuable is subjective, but they are generally accurate. Usually, those poo pooing them are those who are predicted to lose.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
The horse has already bolted. Milliband asleep at the wheel as usual.
True it's all a bit late in the day. At least Cameron has kept out of it by and large and hasn't taken the bait.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 11:23 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Are you suggesting that pollsters shouldn't factor out known biases?

UK general election polls have been spot on since Blair won in 97. Whether or not they are valuable is subjective, but they are generally accurate. Usually, those poo pooing them are those who are predicted to lose.
Yes I am. If known biases exist then the consumers of the poll result should do the factoring, whether that be the voters or the parties.

"Don't knows" don't split 50/50 but its impractical and beyond their remit for pollsters to predict the actual split. In large part of course because the split may be determined by events that have yet to occur when the poll was taken.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Sep 6th 2014 at 11:25 am.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 1:17 pm

Yes I am. If known biases exist then the consumers of the poll result should do the factoring, whether that be the voters or the parties.

"Don't knows" don't split 50/50 but its impractical and beyond their remit for pollsters to predict the actual split. In large part of course because the split may be determined by events that have yet to occur when the poll was taken.
Voters aren't going to do that, they are mostly idiots.

Anyway, it will depend on what factoring is done. It might be in the sampling itself rather than just fudging the result.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 1:25 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care one way or another but I liked this:

Old Sep 6th 2014, 1:25 pm
Born again atheist

Voters aren't going to do that, they are mostly idiots.

Anyway, it will depend on what factoring is done. It might be in the sampling itself rather than just fudging the result.
I agree that voters are mostly idiots.

If the sampling is an issue (and of course it can be) that would simply be incompetence among the pollsters. One's own incompetence is rarely a "known bias".
Old Sep 6th 2014, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Didn't know that.

I rather wonder what my status would be if Scotland does bugger off. I'm half Scottish (mother).

Would I qualify as a Scot?

Perhaps some sort of McMetis?
I've wondered how this would work too. My husband was born in England, but lived in Scotland for over 22 years before we moved to Canada last month, and thinks of himself as Scottish more than English. I was born in Canada, raised mostly in England, but chose Scotland as my home for 15 years, and that's where our son was born. But as we have moved away, would our long term residency count for anything in terms of Scottish citizenship? Would we even be entitled to return there to live there in the future if we wanted, without having to apply for permanent residency in what we consider to be our own country?
Old Sep 6th 2014, 2:25 pm

I agree that voters are mostly idiots.

If the sampling is an issue (and of course it can be) that would simply be incompetence among the pollsters. One's own incompetence is rarely a "known bias".
Well, sort of I suppose. Although I'm not sure that I'd characterise adjusting your methods in light of evidence as incompetence.

Edit: anyway this is tangential. I was just wondering if there is a similarity between Tory voters and no voters in their response to pollsters and what effect this night have on the results. Intuitively I can believe it, but who knows.

Last edited by Alan2005; Sep 6th 2014 at 2:33 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.