Will I ever settle?

Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I ever settle?

A coupla points:

When I moved from Manchester to London to go to University I felt far more like a stranger in strange land. They also spoke really funny, and said I had a strange accent. Their idea of sport was really foreign to me also (Arse-nal for god's sake!) The beer was terrible. The food atrocious - I mean who eats jellied eels? The attitude of the locals was really unfriendly and arrogant - they suggested that if I didn't like it I could f... off back to Manchester. And their ignorance of anything north of the Watford Gap was immense! The whole place was a massive culture shock.

Moving from Stoke to Nottingham isn't going to be a big wrench, but moving from one end of the country to the other will give as much of a shock to the system as moving to Canada!

Secondly:

When you arrive "Canada" isn't going to bake you a cake, or give you a hug. You can park here and hoist a flag of convenience, or you can get involved, make friends, and get stuck in.

I've met a few different kinds of expats in Canada: there's the kind who come over to slot into a job ready made for them, and the kind who come on a roll of the dice because they are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to become Canadian. (And of course many others too)

How can you "give" to your country. It starts with attitude and local involvement.

You don't have to run for mayor; but things I have done include volunteering, working for a couple of political candidates during provincial and federal elections, inviting neighbours over to a BBQ, making a casserole for a neighbour who suffered a death in the family. Things I would have done in England, but they are now things I do here.

To help me and my family here in Calgary I moved to a community with a community lake.

BTW I ended up loving London.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:12 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bramley
No Brit will ever (truly) be Canadian, we are polls apart in every aspect. Respect the country, culture and people...doesn't mean you have to adopt it.
Originally Posted by Bramley
Don't want his thread to go in a negative direction so I'm gonna leave it for now if people can't accept other peoples point of view...sounds like Facebook!!
But there are several Brits here saying that they do feel Canadian. Maybe you wont ever feel canadian, but please accept that there are many here who eventially do feel that way.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:32 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
My usual response to that is "do you like shit on toast?"
I'm stealing that one.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by triumphguy
A coupla points:

When I moved from Manchester to London to go to University I felt far more like a stranger in strange land. They also spoke really funny, and said I had a strange accent. Their idea of sport was really foreign to me also (Arse-nal for god's sake!) The beer was terrible. The food atrocious - I mean who eats jellied eels? The attitude of the locals was really unfriendly and arrogant - they suggested that if I didn't like it I could f... off back to Manchester. And their ignorance of anything north of the Watford Gap was immense! The whole place was a massive culture shock.

Moving from Stoke to Nottingham isn't going to be a big wrench, but moving from one end of the country to the other will give as much of a shock to the system as moving to Canada!

Secondly:

When you arrive "Canada" isn't going to bake you a cake, or give you a hug. You can park here and hoist a flag of convenience, or you can get involved, make friends, and get stuck in.

I've met a few different kinds of expats in Canada: there's the kind who come over to slot into a job ready made for them, and the kind who come on a roll of the dice because they are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to become Canadian. (And of course many others too)

How can you "give" to your country. It starts with attitude and local involvement.

You don't have to run for mayor; but things I have done include volunteering, working for a couple of political candidates during provincial and federal elections, inviting neighbours over to a BBQ, making a casserole for a neighbour who suffered a death in the family. Things I would have done in England, but they are now things I do here.

To help me and my family here in Calgary I moved to a community with a community lake.

BTW I ended up loving London.
I just feel lost at the moment but do appreciate your words of advice..Thankyou
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you feel more settled soon. The first while can be really rough.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
But there are several Brits here saying that they do feel Canadian. Maybe you wont ever feel canadian, but please accept that there are many here who eventially do feel that way.
Think I just need to give it more time that's all
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:11 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I'll tell you what I do for Canada: I pay my taxes and don't commit crimes. This is pretty much as as far as I feel I need to go with my contribution.
If you are any good at your job you will be helping your employer become more successful. This will help grow the economy and provide more employment opportunities for Canadians and new Canadians.

I think you are contributing more than you are bargaining for. Sorry.

Last edited by JonboyE; Apr 15th 2010 at 3:14 am.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:13 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If you are any good at your job you will be helping you employer become more successful. This will help grow the economy and provide more employment opportunities for Canadians and new Canadians.

You are the author of the new Canadian citizenship guide and I claim my $5.

I'll send a tax receipt.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:28 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If you are any good at your job you will be helping your employer become more successful. This will help grow the economy and provide more employment opportunities for Canadians and new Canadians.

Haha, I know what I'm contributing and don't resent it (well too much - I'd rather pay less tax like most people). What I do probably won't create any opportunities for Canadians, at least not directly as I work for a big multinational. It will create jobs for people in other places - 100's of people have been employed around the world by the company I work for because of the work I do. Something I'm actually quite proud of.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Haha, I know what I'm contributing and don't resent it (well too much - I'd rather pay less tax like most people). What I do probably won't create any opportunities for Canadians, at least not directly as I work for a big multinational. It will create jobs for people in other places - 100's of people have been employed around the world by the company I work for because of the work I do. Something I'm actually quite proud of.
Wish I could get a job *sigh*