Will I ever settle?

Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:52 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I ever settle?

Originally Posted by Bramley
Aww don't be a party pooper, watching it for real is so much fun...try it some time
Don't NHL games go on for 4 hours or something? Who wants to sit through that?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Don't NHL games go on for 4 hours or something? Who wants to sit through that?
It's not 4hrs (probably a little over 2hrs dependant on the game) and lots of fun. Even if you go to one and say "nah it's not for me" at least you will have seen it...don't knock it til you've tried it, it's well worth the fun element honestly
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:23 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not 4hrs (probably a little over 2hrs dependant on the game) and lots of fun. Even if you go to one and say "nah it's not for me" at least you will have seen it...don't knock it til you've tried it, it's well worth the fun element honestly
My usual response to that is "do you like shit on toast?"
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

My usual response to that is "do you like shit on toast?"
That's not nice
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:31 am

That's not nice
don't knock it til you've tried it...
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I changed schools and moved around the country constantly as a child, so the only friends I've had for a considerable while I've only kept in contact with over the internet. Changing countries wasn't really much of a sacrifice for me, for someone with lots of personal roots in the UK I can understand how it would be harder to settle elsewhere.

I'm not really bothered about being a citizen either, I just want the travel document. I couldn't really careless about Canada other than what it can do for me.
Wow. I can sort of understand but I really can't relate. This country has welcomed me so warmly, provided me with a good standard of living, so I can't help but care about it. The "whats in it for me" attitude, which is very prevalent in Britain, is one of the (many) reasons I left.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

don't knock it til you've tried it...
Ewww think NOT!!!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Wow. I can sort of understand but I really can't relate. This country has welcomed me so warmly, provided me with a good standard of living, so I can't help but care about it. The "whats in it for me" attitude, which is very prevalent in Britain, is one of the (many) reasons I left.
I have no problem with that at all. Would you mind telling me what you actually do for Canada?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

I have no problem with that at all. Would you mind telling me what you actually do for Canada?
Don't want his thread to go in a negative direction so I'm gonna leave it for now if people can't accept other peoples point of view...sounds like Facebook!!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:05 pm

Don't want his thread to go in a negative direction so I'm gonna leave it for now if people can't accept other peoples point of view...sounds like Facebook!!
I'll tell you what I do for Canada: I pay my taxes and don't commit crimes. This is pretty much as as far as I feel I need to go with my contribution. CanadaJimmy implied he does more than this. Just asking what that was; nothing negative about that. Accepted I could have been politer
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Do you talk like a Canadian? Did you go to school here? Do you have the connections that go back to when you were in Kindergarten?
Yes Yes and Yes

In the UK they say I sound Canadian, I did go to various schools (training establishments anyway) and I have an old friend from Junior school who lives down the road and a school friend of my parents in the next town.

Whether one feels like you belong or not, is a state of mind and I guess if you want to you do and if not you don't. Personal choice and attitude really.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I'll tell you what I do for Canada: I pay my taxes and don't commit crimes. This is pretty much as as far as I feel I need to go with my contribution. CanadaJimmy implied he does more than this. Just asking what that was; nothing negative about that. Accepted I could have been politer
I've been active in political debate in issues such as the HST here, tried to promote canada to everyone I know, I keep in contact with the council here, I sent a letter to the council here commending them on the fabulous work they've been doing to improve the area in which I live and included some additional suggestions and improvements. Got some fantastic responses from that too.

Is that good enough for you Alan?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:34 pm

I've been active in political debate in issues such as the HST here, tried to promote canada to everyone I know, I keep in contact with the council here, I sent a letter to the council here commending them on the fabulous work they've been doing to improve the area in which I live and included some additional suggestions and improvements. Got some fantastic responses from that too.

Is that good enough for you Alan?
Well, you've answered the question, and I guess writing a letter to the council counts as contributing. Well done!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I love Canada and like you don't think of myself as living in someone elses country. The problem I'm facing is that I can't exactly put my finger on the reason why I feel so unsettled because although I also enjoy visiting the UK I don't have the desire to live there either...maybe if I could find work it would give me a whole new perspective on things because at times I don't feel I have a purpose being here.
Hi Bramley.
I haven't yet experienced emigrating to Canada but I lived in 3 countries growing up and then lived in 2 very different areas when I moved back to the UK so I understand starting again...
From my experience I would say you need to give anywhere you move to at least 2 years to feel settled, this gives you time to build a history with the town you're living in and the people you talk to.
Good luck with it all
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:27 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

This country has...provided me with a good standard of living, so I can't help but care about it.
The bastards. I have to provide my own

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.