Will I ever settle?

Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:27 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I ever settle?

Originally Posted by Bramley
In all honesty I think at certain times you feel all three...you love, are ambivalent and even loath it when you're trying to adjust. One things for sure, I won't be exchanging my UK passport for a Canadian one.
You do know you can have both right? I'll be getting canadian citizenship when I can apply for it cos you never know when it will come in handy. It also gives you the freedom to go and live somewhere else for a few years knowing that you can come back if you want to.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:35 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
IMO I don't think anybody really fully settles. They may try and convince themselves and others that they have, but the bottom line is you live in some else's country and nothing is going to change that fact.
Speak for yourself. We're fully settled, whenever I went to the UK, traveled on a CDN passport and felt fully Canadian. Have never felt we live in someone else's country.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You do know you can have both right? I'll be getting canadian citizenship when I can apply for it cos you never know when it will come in handy. It also gives you the freedom to go and live somewhere else for a few years knowing that you can come back if you want to.
I know, it just doesn't appeal to us becoming Canadian citizens that's all. As it stands now we still have the freedom to come and go as we please on our PR and I'm more than happy with that.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:40 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bramley
I know, it just doesn't appeal to us becoming Canadian citizens that's all. As it stands now we still have the freedom to come and go as we please on our PR and I'm more than happy with that.
I'm not really bothered about being a citizen either, I just want the travel document. I couldn't really careless about Canada other than what it can do for me.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

I'm not really bothered about being a citizen either, I just want the travel document. I couldn't really careless about Canada other than what it can do for me.
I can understand that and maybe that'll be an option later down the line, you never know. I think when you have feelings of uncertainty (as I do now) it's all too easy to say "I don't want to be a Canadian citizen" because your judgement becomes clouded...my motto? Never say Never, as it stands now? No way.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Speak for yourself. We're fully settled, whenever I went to the UK, traveled on a CDN passport and felt fully Canadian. Have never felt we live in someone else's country.
Do you talk like a Canadian? Did you go to school here? Do you have the connections that go back to when you were in Kindergarten?

It may be different if one locates to a small town but, no matter how much I enjoy living here, I know I will never be "Canadian" no matter how hard I try.

I feel like Alan2005 seems to.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Do you talk like a Canadian? Did you go to school here? Do you have the connections that go back to when you were in Kindergarten?

It may be different if one locates to a small town but, no matter how much I enjoy living here, I know I will never be "Canadian" no matter how hard I try.

Couldn't have put it better myself...Thankyou
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:10 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

How does a Canadian talk?

I didn't go to school here, I don't have any connections that go back to when I was in Kindergarten. In this respect, as in many others, I am just the same as nearly all the other Canadians I meet.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE
How does a Canadian talk?

I didn't go to school here, I don't have any connections that go back to when I was in Kindergarten. In this respect, as in many others, I am just the same as nearly all the other Canadians I meet.
i.e. not particularly

I don't even try to be "Canadian" (I wouldn't know where to start - except for maybe liking iced hockey which I can't bring myself to do). I'm here cos on the whole I like it and I'm selfish enough to think other concerns are secondary to that.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

i.e. not particularly

I don't even try to be "Canadian" (I wouldn't know where to start - except for maybe liking iced hockey which I can't bring myself to do). I'm here cos on the whole I like it and I'm selfish enough to think other concerns are secondary to that.
No Brit will ever (truly) be Canadian, we are polls apart in every aspect. Respect the country, culture and people...doesn't mean you have to adopt it.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't you bring yourself to like hockey?

I have to admit that watching it on T.V. does nothing for me, but live games are pretty good

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Apr 14th 2010 at 10:43 am.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

I have to admit that, watching it on T.V. does nothing for me, but live games are pretty good
Got to agree with that, we went to watch a hockey game and loved it!! sat there laughing all the way through at the atmosphere, music and everything that got thrown on the ice
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:46 am

I have to admit that watching it on T.V. does nothing for me, but live games are pretty good
The effort required to get knowledgeable enough to appreciate the game is considerably more effort than I'm willing to put in. Which is none.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The effort required to get knowledgeable enough to appreciate the game is considerably more effort than I'm willing to put in. Which is none.
Fairy nuff
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Aww don't be a party pooper, watching it for real is so much fun...try it some time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.