Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Why birds of a feather flock together.

Why birds of a feather flock together.

Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:08 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why birds of a feather flock together.

Just in case anyone out there is planning on moving here and becoming totally Canadian and hanging out with just Canadians and trying to stay away from as many Brits as possible................... (not my words the words of someone I once knew ) here's a bit of advice.

When you are in the UK, in a group of people (normally your own age or there abouts) you tend to reminisce about stuff, or crack a joke.

For those who love Peter Kay - I think i'm safe in saying that in any pub in Britain I could stand up and shout "GARLIC...................... BREAD" and 90% of people would know what I meant and then a half hour conversation would start with many quips coming from that stand up.

Or someone could to the David Brent dance - and again most would laugh and remember.

When you move to Canada - that all changes - the things you do and say bear no meaning to Canadians, no-one here knows the Shake and Vac woman, remembers Noel Edmonds on Swap Shop, and went on school trips to Alton Towers.

So before anyone decides to cut all ties () think about it! Even if its talking to us sad lot on here
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why birds of a feather flock together.

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Just in case anyone out there is planning on moving here and becoming totally Canadian and hanging out with just Canadians and trying to stay away from as many Brits as possible................... (not my words the words of someone I once knew ) here's a bit of advice.

When you are in the UK, in a group of people (normally your own age or there abouts) you tend to reminisce about stuff, or crack a joke.

For those who love Peter Kay - I think i'm safe in saying that in any pub in Britain I could stand up and shout "GARLIC...................... BREAD" and 90% of people would know what I meant and then a half hour conversation would start with many quips coming from that stand up.

Or someone could to the David Brent dance - and again most would laugh and remember.

When you move to Canada - that all changes - the things you do and say bear no meaning to Canadians, no-one here knows the Shake and Vac woman, remembers Noel Edmonds on Swap Shop, and went on school trips to Alton Towers.

So before anyone decides to cut all ties () think about it! Even if its talking to us sad lot on here
It's the same if you date a much younger man. They don't remember the Monkees and the Woodentops, so there is little to talk about and you have to think of other things to do.....

Culture gap.....

PS, I havent a clue what you are talking about with Peter Kay, let alone garlic bread. I only saw the Office once, and haven't seen the dance. Never watched swap shop, never been to Alton Towers. I do remember the Shake and Vac woman.....So we could talk about that if we ever meet.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:28 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
It's the same if you date a much younger man. They don't remember the Monkees and the Woodentops, so there is little to talk about and you have to think of other things to do.....

Culture gap.....

PS, I havent a clue what you are talking about with Peter Kay, let alone garlic bread. I only saw the Office once, and haven't seen the dance. Never watched swap shop, never been to Alton Towers. I do remember the Shake and Vac woman.....So we could talk about that if we ever meet.
hahaha we will have lots to chat about
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I cant make out who is the youngeest of you two now

Culture gap.....

Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:42 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mmmm maybe I should use a different example - however I suppose the point I was trying to get across is that you usually ally yourself with people of a similar age, or of similar interests, backgrounds etc. When you try that here - the only thing in common is the age.

I'm not making myself overly clear am I
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

but this is bound to be true for anyone who moves. BTW i think one of teh best things to do is to join similar interest/hobby clubs, this should really get you talking!!

mmmm maybe I should use a different example - however I suppose the point I was trying to get across is that you usually ally yourself with people of a similar age, or of similar interests, backgrounds etc. When you try that here - the only thing in common is the age.

Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:03 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by ExcitedBrit
but this is bound to be true for anyone who moves. BTW i think one of teh best things to do is to join similar interest/hobby clubs, this should really get you talking!!

Oh those who know me know I don't have a problem with talking to anyone - about anything hahahaha
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

GARLIC...................... BREAD?
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

similar interest is a powerful bonding agent let me tell you. well i just found out we one in common-- dogs except that i left mine at my parents! I just chocked on the pricing info, Quite expensive, now we should talk about that

Oh those who know me know I don't have a problem with talking to anyone - about anything hahahaha
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:18 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
GARLIC...................... BREAD?
'Go on dip me. I'm not going anywhere me son"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O61siVLAVAo
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:21 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Culture gap.....

If you don't know peter kay ---- you haven't lived

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTxL6DaOs74
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

You are making sense. The only time I talk to non Canadians is on here, or when I talk to the next door neighbours. So I suppose that's why I come on here.

Emigrating had given me a greater respect for those who emigrate to a completely different culture; language, food, body language, greetings etc. There is definitely comfort in the familiar.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dboy
If you don't know peter kay ---- you haven't lived

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTxL6DaOs74
er thanks for the link. I can't make out what he is going on about, apart from garlic bread, as I am deaf and there are no captions on the video.

Otherwise I seem to have lived quite well
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its also about how many languages you speak, the more you do the more things you share..... Now, all french people have seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkD2-...eature=related

, have you? I can tell you how speaking kore than one language chnage your whole perception of things, the otehr day i was on the metro in montreal....they made a few annoucements about delays ....en francais seulement....a few of the passengers there were just lost, no clues as to what was going on
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ExcitedBrit
Its also about how many languages you speak, the more you do the more things you share..... Now, all french people have seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkD2-...eature=related

, have you? I can tell you how speaking kore than one language chnage your whole perception of things, the otehr day i was on the metro in montreal....they made a few annoucements about delays ....en francais seulement....a few of the passengers there were just lost, no clues as to what was going on
But people round here only speak English. Pas de francais.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.