Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Who's doing what for Christmas?

Who's doing what for Christmas?

Old Dec 11th 2019, 12:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's doing what for Christmas?

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Thanks, I hadn't heard of that place....is that downtown?
Yes. Bar with bands. Not snob.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 12:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Just got in from a chilly night out at the Weinachtsmarkt (Christmas market) - hundreds of stalls all along the river and around the central church area, every second hut is a gluhwein hut! It's so popular, absolutely heaving! You simply can't imagine 80% of the population of a Canadian town going out for an evening wander between 6-9pm having a few drinks and a wurst (sausage) on a weekday night.
Kitchener offers that, with skating and lots of mechanical things. Also heaving. Also gluhwein. Kitchener is, of course, historically populated by Germans.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 1:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
We are heading to the Cook Island of Aitutaki this year.
Is it easy to get to from Raro. Do you just land and then take off again?

Will the weather be OK?

Do you see turtles? The snorkelling In Raro is not that great these years. Is Aitutaki far better?
I don't get in the water where there are sea slugs. Ugh!

Old Dec 12th 2019, 3:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Is it easy to get to from Raro. Do you just land and then take off again?

Will the weather be OK?

Do you see turtles? The snorkelling In Raro is not that great these years. Is Aitutaki far better?
I don't get in the water where there are sea slugs. Ugh!
It's approximately 45 mins from Raro by plane. We've got a few hours lay-over on the Friday afternoon, other times we've stayed one night on Raro. Just depends on the flight times NZ.
It'll be our 4th time on Aitutaki, it's much quieter than Raro which we prefer. Snorkelling is definitely better too. Same friendly people as Raro , not as much to do but that suits us fine. We are going for R & R!
We've never been at this time of the year before (usually it's been in June), so no idea what to expect. But probably some rain but warmer than June. It is what it is and we have lots of reading material.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 3:50 am
`

It's approximately 45 mins from Raro by plane. We've got a few hours lay-over on the Friday afternoon, other times we've stayed one night on Raro. Just depends on the flight times NZ.
It'll be our 4th time on Aitutaki, it's much quieter than Raro which we prefer. Snorkelling is definitely better too. Same friendly people as Raro , not as much to do but that suits us fine. We are going for R & R!
We've never been at this time of the year before (usually it's been in June), so no idea what to expect. But probably some rain but warmer than June. It is what it is and we have lots of reading material.
Turtles missus! Turtles?
Raro is attractive because of the flight time. The internal from Nelson always extends everything by a good 4 hours at least.

Have a great time btw.

Have you got one of these....

Old Dec 12th 2019, 3:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Turtles missus! Turtles?
Raro is attractive because of the flight time. The internal from Nelson always extends everything by a good 4 hours at least.

Have a great time btw.

Have you got one of these....

Sorry, I'm not well. Yes there are turtles and giant clams and giant trevally. Usually see turtles in the main lagoon area. There are sea slugs and yes they are hideous but they are making the beautiful sand

I looked at your type of mask but you can't duck dive in them, so went with the ordinary kind.
I suppose we are 'lucky' being in Auckland, however our flight time is 8am, so we are staying overnight at the airport hotel. Will check-in luggage and go back to hotel for leisurely breakfast, then head to departures!

Forgot to say thanks! I'm sure we'll have fun.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat094; Dec 12th 2019 at 4:07 am. Reason: Forgot to say fanks!
Old Dec 12th 2019, 4:10 am
`

Sorry, I'm not well. Yes there are turtles and giant clams and giant trevally. Usually see turtles in the main lagoon area. There are sea slugs and yes they are hideous but they are making the beautiful sand

I looked at your type of mask but you can't duck dive in them, so went with the ordinary kind.
I suppose we are 'lucky' being in Auckland, however our flight time is 8am, so we are staying overnight at the airport hotel. Will check-in luggage and go back to hotel for leisurely breakfast, then head to departures!

Forgot to say thanks! I'm sure we'll have fun.
Rats. Get better before you fly !