Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Who would like some FREEBIES????

Who would like some FREEBIES????

Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:30 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Who would like some FREEBIES????

Are you fed up of getting constantly overcharged in stores, have a quick look at this
http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...eng/01262.html (hope the link works)

Last week I got overcharged by almost 20 bucks and got a free packet of chicken strips, a watermelon and a lovely large piece of Brie!!!!!

You work hard for your $ so don't just give them away for nothing as clearly many people do.I wonder now how much we have been overcharged in the last year.

Checking every item on your receipt is a pain, but may be well worth it!!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who would like some FREEBIES????

Quite a few stores such as Superstore and Home Depot have a policy on overcharging that stipulates if you're overcharged on an item costing less than $10, you get the item free. I've had on average about $30 of groceries a month free by checking my bill every time. Cashiers won't tell you this - you usually have to go to the Customer Service desk to get your freebie. It is quite amazing how many mistakes cashiers make on your bills. Quite often,too, if there's a price change on an item, the scan at the checkout is changed but not the price at the shelves so that you have a legitimate case for complaining that you've been overcharged. Price changes often take place on Mondays and Thursdays so it's a good idea to check your bills carefully on these days.
Might be a good idea for other people on this thread to post the names of stores that have the freebie-if-overcharged policy so that we can all benefit. Thanks for starting this thread.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:05 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Here goes...

Signatories to Scanner Accuracy CACDS Supporting Companies:
Shoppers Drug Mart
The Groupe Jean Coutu (NB and Ont only)
Lawton Drug Stores
London Drugs
Lovell Drugs
Pharma-save (BC and Sask)

CCGD Supporting Companies:
Canada Safeway Limited
The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company of Canada Limited
Loblaw Companies Limited
Sobeys Inc.
Metro Inc.
Thrifty Foods
Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
Co-op Atlantic
Federated Co-operatives Limited

RCC Supporting Companies:
The Home Depot Canada
Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd.
Toys r Us
Rona
Wal*Mart Canada Corp.
Giant Tiger Stores Ltd.
The North West Company
Best Buy/Future Shop
2 Home Hardware franchisees

CFIG Supporting Companies:Thrifty Foods
Overwaitea Food Group
The Harry Watson Group
Longos Brothers Fruit Markets
+ 1374 independent locations

Just about everywhere you'd shop really.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Here goes...

Signatories to Scanner Accuracy CACDS Supporting Companies:
Shoppers Drug Mart
The Groupe Jean Coutu (NB and Ont only)
Lawton Drug Stores
London Drugs
Lovell Drugs
Pharma-save (BC and Sask)

CCGD Supporting Companies:
Canada Safeway Limited
The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company of Canada Limited
Loblaw Companies Limited
Sobeys Inc.
Metro Inc.
Thrifty Foods
Co-op Atlantic
Federated Co-operatives Limited

RCC Supporting Companies:
The Home Depot Canada
Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd.
Toys r Us
Rona
Wal*Mart Canada Corp.
Giant Tiger Stores Ltd.
The North West Company
Best Buy/Future Shop
2 Home Hardware franchisees

CFIG Supporting Companies:Thrifty Foods
Overwaitea Food Group
The Harry Watson Group
Longos Brothers Fruit Markets
+ 1374 independent locations

Just about everywhere you'd shop really.
This is not a mandatory practice though. It was developed by the Retail Council of Canada about 10 years ago and applies only to signatories of the code of conduct. It does not apply to mistakes made by cashiers, it is a scanning code of practice and applies to items marked on the shelf at a lowe price than they scan at the POS. If an item was placed in the wrong area by another customer, you won't get it, you have to be sure the error was on the part of the retailer. Every signatory to the code of practice has a decal at the POS to make the customer aware of the code, it is not a secret.

If the item is $10 or under and scans at higher price than the self marker, you get it for free. If the item is over $10 you get $10 off.

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 9th 2011 at 4:14 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:36 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

I know it's not a secret, it's just not that widely advertised. In fact some staff know nothing about it.

Just thought I would raise the point as I am sure there are many who get annoyed by the constant misprices on scanned products and don't realise their rights.

In the UK if charged incorrectly, very often all you got back was the difference in what you had paid