British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Who gets the flu shot? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/who-gets-flu-shot-774347/)

Pretty Flowers Oct 15th 2012 7:44 pm

Re: Who gets the flu shot?

Thread creep has probably taken place, but who am I not to add my 10c five days after the event :rofl:

I always get the flu shot because I have crappy lungs (thank you genetics) which mean I have asthma, am highly suceptable to chest infections and get bronchitis after only a bad cold as a matter of course.

As my lungs are fragile, repeated chest infections mean I am a highly likely candidate for COPD, death from pneunomia and other related nasties.

Therefore, not getting flu for me = not causing further scarring of my lung tissue = a reduction in the likelihood of carting O2 around with me in 20 years.

And it does work.... sometimes. For me the benefits clearly outweigh the risks. Even in my 20s back in the UK I was a candidate for free flu vaccine, because of my crappy lung related genetics.

BristolUK Oct 15th 2012 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by babsi (Post 10332324)
And for the record I can't go back home due to the new spouse visa regulations which is affecting British citizens worldwide.

Have you seen the threads over on MBTTUK? Just thought I'd mention it as I don't recall seeing you there.

babsi Oct 15th 2012 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 10332664)
Have you seen the threads over on MBTTUK? Just thought I'd mention it as I don't recall seeing you there.

I posted a little at the beginning but looking at the new requirements it is impossible for us to go back, only way I can see is through an EU country.

bats Oct 15th 2012 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers (Post 10332506)
Thread creep has probably taken place, but who am I not to add my 10c five days after the event :rofl:

I always get the flu shot because I have crappy lungs (thank you genetics) which mean I have asthma, am highly suceptable to chest infections and get bronchitis after only a bad cold as a matter of course.

As my lungs are fragile, repeated chest infections mean I am a highly likely candidate for COPD, death from pneunomia and other related nasties.

Therefore, not getting flu for me = not causing further scarring of my lung tissue = a reduction in the likelihood of carting O2 around with me in 20 years.

And it does work.... sometimes. For me the benefits clearly outweigh the risks. Even in my 20s back in the UK I was a candidate for free flu vaccine, because of my crappy lung related genetics.

Can I suggest you look into a Pneumovax shot then? I had this 3years ago and no longer get the annual bronchitis.

BristolUK Oct 15th 2012 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by babsi (Post 10332668)
I posted a little at the beginning but looking at the new requirements it is impossible for us to go back, only way I can see is through an EU country.

Righto. I was wondering if you were aware of that route and it seems you are.

bats Oct 15th 2012 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 10331710)
Well, that girl never claimed to be a real nurse.:rofl: The latex uniform, heels, and outrageous fee schedule should of been your first clue.
Everyone who works in a hospital, doctor's office, medical clinic, nursing home, home care, etc has to get an annual flu shot, from the Director of Surgery through the nurses, orderlies, HR, dieticians, cleaners, CSR, techs...... everyone.

no, it isn't mandatory in Canadian heathcare. If you don't get the shot then if there is an outbreak you can't work. If you work at two places if there is an outbreak at one of them you can't work at the other.

(Not sure of your list, was that in descending order? Techs at the bottom ?:sad_smile::sad_smile:)

Pretty Flowers Oct 15th 2012 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10332669)
Can I suggest you look into a Pneumovax shot then? I had this 3years ago and no longer get the annual bronchitis.

Thanks for the advice, I'll mention this to the Doc next time I see him.

gryphea Oct 15th 2012 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10332687)
no, it isn't mandatory in Canadian heathcare. If you don't get the shot then if there is an outbreak you can't work. If you work at two places if there is an outbreak at one of them you can't work at the other.

(Not sure of your list, was that in descending order? Techs at the bottom ?:sad_smile::sad_smile:)

What? I never got H1N1 shot and still worked all the way through the outbreak? I've never heard of such legislation?

caretaker Oct 15th 2012 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10332687)

I stand corrected - back in the 70's at Regina General they just said everyone has to get it and roll up your sleeve. Being half German change doesn't come easily. Now after a quick google I see how it's voluntary but in BC if nurses aren't vaccinated they have to wear a mask when treating patients.

bats Oct 16th 2012 12:01 am

Originally Posted by gryphea (Post 10332701)
What? I never got H1N1 shot and still worked all the way through the outbreak? I've never heard of such legislation?

There was an outbreak? Never said it was legislation but it seems to be the predominant hospital policy. The outbreak would refer to a local outbreak in your hospital not a national/provincial one. I think it all depends on what notices the local Health Unit issue.

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 10332753)
I stand corrected - back in the 70's at Regina General they just said everyone has to get it and roll up your sleeve. Being half German change doesn't come easily. Now after a quick google I see how it's voluntary but in BC if nurses aren't vaccinated they have to wear a mask when treating patients.

I wear a mask quite often in the coughing and sneezing season.

Novocastrian Oct 16th 2012 2:22 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 10332753)
. Being half German change doesn't come easily.

Aha! Du bist halb deutsch? Dass erklaert sehr viel. Ich habe wieder voll Respekt fuer Deine Meinungen.

Steve_ Oct 16th 2012 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10332494)
So your coping mechanism is superior to those others use, is that what you are saying?

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying, you didn't completely misunderstand me at all. :p I'd like to be able to say...

Steve_ Oct 16th 2012 7:48 pm

Anyway I was vaccinated yesterday, so I guess all we have to do now is wait and see who dies of influenza first...

DandNHill Oct 18th 2012 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10332932)
Aha! Du bist halb deutsch? Dass erklaert sehr viel. Ich habe wieder voll Respekt fuer Deine Meinungen.

:rofl::rofl:

scheherazade Oct 18th 2012 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 10325660)
Its the thought of that needle stuck in my arm that really puts me off

I had it done on Tuesday (first timer) and looked the other way, wiggled my toes when the nurse told me to and bam I was done. Arm's been a bit sore but not enough to hinder life, kind of like a bruise hurts. I've had waaaay worse needle experiences.