Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Whistler businesses whine about TFW programme changes

Whistler businesses whine about TFW programme changes

Old Nov 25th 2014, 4:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whistler businesses whine about TFW programme changes

Originally Posted by Steve_

Personally I keep thinking that fast food jobs could probably be replaced with machines anyway.
?
That's a good point. It's hard to believe McDonalds et al haven't started rolling this out. You can see how mechanised their line is, and obviously the food isn't really being prepared, just assembled. I guess they don't want kick away the "restaurant" facade entirely in case the customers lose faith. But they could easily do it with a few robots. It must be just around the corner.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 8:55 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
There are fresh faced 18-20 yr olds every year on IEC visas flocking to ski resorts from Australasia and Europe. Looks like an inexhaustible supply to me.
Even on that radio show the operators were very unsure about the idea of using people on IEC. It's clearly not inexhaustible because there's a quota.

IECs aren't imported, they're self-selecting individuals with free market choice.
Exactly, and how many of them want to work in a crap job?
Old Nov 25th 2014, 9:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That's a good point. It's hard to believe McDonalds et al haven't started rolling this out. You can see how mechanised their line is, and obviously the food isn't really being prepared, just assembled. I guess they don't want kick away the "restaurant" facade entirely in case the customers lose faith. But they could easily do it with a few robots. It must be just around the corner.
At some point all low-skilled jobs will go out the window. Huge numbers of people work in clerical data-processing jobs and they're all going out the window with the internet, the data is no longer on paper. Endless things I can think of that will be automated, e.g. window cleaning. Just a matter of time. Happened in the past, will keep on happening.

I always find it odd now on the rare occasions I go into a supermarket and there is no self check-out, where is the machine???
Old Nov 25th 2014, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

At some point all low-skilled jobs will go out the window. Huge numbers of people work in clerical data-processing jobs and they're all going out the window with the internet, the data is no longer on paper. Endless things I can think of that will be automated, e.g. window cleaning. Just a matter of time. Happened in the past, will keep on happening.

I always find it odd now on the rare occasions I go into a supermarket and there is no self check-out, where is the machine???
And society as a whole better be prepared to handle the unemployment resulting in the loss of unskilled labor, we will never be have a point where everyone can obtain a skill or a higher level job which will end up with people who rely on those jobs having no income any longer.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 10:04 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Jsmith.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 10:08 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Even on that radio show the operators were very unsure about the idea of using people on IEC. It's clearly not inexhaustible because there's a quota.

Exactly, and how many of them want to work in a crap job?
Yes, there's a quota, but supply far outstrips the amount of jobs available in ski resorts, for example. Many of the jobs may be low paid, but it doesn't make them 'crap'.

Give me an idea what an 18yr old fresh out of high school with no work experience should be able to demand for a wage. They earn enough to pay rent and enjoy themselves in between work for 5 months - are you bemoaning the cultural experience, the chance to travel and the enhancement of work/life experience that they gain?
Old Nov 25th 2014, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there's a quota....
Not for Australians, there is no limit plus you can get as many IEC visas as you want as long as you are aged between 18-30.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 10:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MountainHiker
Not for Australians, there is no limit plus you can get as many IEC visas as you want as long as you are aged between 18-30.
God help us all.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 10:30 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I personally don't have a problem with the IEC program, it's more the TFW that I have issues with re: exploiting low-paid workers.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
God help us all.
they're everywhere in Whistler
Old Nov 25th 2014, 11:04 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I personally don't have a problem with the IEC program, it's more the TFW that I have issues with re: exploiting low-paid workers.
The original idea of the TFW program is good. It allowed Canada to fill skills gaps which was, and still is, necessary for the countries economy. The problem is that it morphed into a supply of cheap labour that depressed already low wages.

It is slightly unusual that the left are saying market forces should prevail and the right wanting government imposed policy.

And, once CBC had stirred up the hornet's nest, Kenn(e)y obviously felt he had to be seen taking decisive action. The trouble is that instead of solving the low wage issue he has messed it up for everyone.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

they're everywhere in Whistler
Sometimes I forget I am in Canada when I visit Whistler as so many have an Australian accent....
Old Nov 25th 2014, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The original idea of the TFW program is good. It allowed Canada to fill skills gaps which was, and still is, necessary for the countries economy. The problem is that it morphed into a supply of cheap labour that depressed already low wages.

It is slightly unusual that the left are saying market forces should prevail and the right wanting government imposed policy.

And, once CBC had stirred up the hornet's nest, Kenn(e)y obviously felt he had to be seen taking decisive action. The trouble is that instead of solving the low wage issue he has messed it up for everyone.
imo it should always have been for rare/high skilled jobs - sushi chefs etc.

once it was opened up to low-skilled it was just a matter of time before it was exploited.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 12:18 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Yes, there's a quota, but supply far outstrips the amount of jobs available in ski resorts, for example. Many of the jobs may be low paid, but it doesn't make them 'crap'.

Give me an idea what an 18yr old fresh out of high school with no work experience should be able to demand for a wage. They earn enough to pay rent and enjoy themselves in between work for 5 months - are you bemoaning the cultural experience, the chance to travel and the enhancement of work/life experience that they gain?
The job an 18 year old would get would be pretty crap for the reasons you've just stated, what these ski resorts are trying to do is replace TFWs with people on IEC and they themselves are worried that is not going to work because the people on IEC don't have the relevant experience.

Ergo demand would appear to outstrip supply, but it's not for the government to distort the economy by allowing the supply of cheap labour to certain businesses, imo. They have to adapt to the circumstances as they are, not as they wish them to be.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 12:20 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Except that they're now going to try and use the IEC as a replacement for TFW, expect some scaremongering report on the CBC shortly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.