Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

whirlpool duet washing machine, housewifey question

whirlpool duet washing machine, housewifey question

Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default whirlpool duet washing machine, housewifey question

We have a whirlpool duet washing machine and the clothes are coming out still covered in hair and crud. ( cat hair mostly and mine, MOH doesnt have much!) Now my British washing machines had a filter in them that I would remove every now and then and clean it. This North American beast doesnt, well not that I can find. I have just set it off on a "clean machine" cycle but without the bleach, maybe that will help.

Are there any domestic gods or goddesses out there who can suggest anyway to get rid of the hairs?

Apart from shaving the cats, or grooming them everyday
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:45 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whirlpool duet washing machine, housewifey question

Originally Posted by daft batty
We have a whirlpool duet washing machine and the clothes are coming out still covered in hair and crud. ( cat hair mostly and mine, MOH doesnt have much!) Now my British washing machines had a filter in them that I would remove every now and then and clean it. This North American beast doesnt, well not that I can find. I have just set it off on a "clean machine" cycle but without the bleach, maybe that will help.

Are there any domestic gods or goddesses out there who can suggest anyway to get rid of the hairs?

Do your clothes smell clean when they come out?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Are you supposed to launder the cat? I bet dbd33 won't approve.

On edit: the OH says there should be a lint trap by the door....I dunno what that means, but I hope it helps.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Apr 22nd 2008 at 12:13 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Are you supposed to launder the cat? I bet dbd33 won't approve.

On edit: the OH says there should be a lint trap by the door....I dunno what that means, but I hope it helps.
We have a GE machine, it stopped washing effectively after cats and dog and horses shed in it. I took the front panel off and found a filter. There's nothing in the documentation about it having a filter but there it was, clogged with hair and drywall screws. It worked much better with that lot removed.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:02 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Bottom panel - take it off, right hand side there is a filter cover cap on what is actually the drain pump. Twist it.

It takes a while to come away, and if it floods your laundry room with stinky water, you need to:

A) Pull the whole filter out, dump the piece that looks like insulation, stick the twisty cover (technical term) back in and run it empty to see if it actually pumps out all the water or,
B) You need a new pump.

http://www.partstap.com/browsebytype.aspx?cat=209
Scroll down and look for "filter cap" to see what you should be looking for.
Half loads is the only way I cured the problem, (dog hair, horse hair and cruddy kids being the issues). There is a reason I have an alarming obsession with clean laundry.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Bottom panel - take it off, right hand side there is a filter cover cap on what is actually the drain pump. Twist it.

It takes a while to come away, and if it floods your laundry room with stinky water, you need to:

A) Pull the whole filter out, dump the piece that looks like insulation, stick the twisty cover (technical term) back in and run it empty to see if it actually pumps out all the water or,
B) You need a new pump.

http://www.partstap.com/browsebytype.aspx?cat=209
Scroll down and look for "filter cap" to see what you should be looking for.
Half loads is the only way I cured the problem, (dog hair, horse hair and cruddy kids being the issues). There is a reason I have an alarming obsession with clean laundry.
The washing is clean and smells ok, its just covered in hair. So the filter sounds the thing. I remember the water running all over the floor on my old machine, tomorrow I will look.
Lint traps, isnt that dryers??
I usually find a load of nuts and bolts from him indoors in there as well
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

cold-one is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you using HE detergent? We have a Whirpool Duet Sport - what sport means in the context of a washing machine I don't know - but the instruction manual does go on about using HE detergent to reduce crud and residue.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing that we were told by an ex-Brit that seems to run the only shop in Calgary where one can get Persil is that most Brits put far too much detergent into North American front loaders (we have the same one as you).

My wife was always concerned about the "lack of water" in the machine when compared to the ones in the UK. She was told that the Duets rely on friction to clean and not big soapy suds as in the UK. I thought this was total bollocks but after reducing the amount of detergent to the recommended amount (as per girl in shop; don't know about what packet says) the clothes have cleaned much better

HTH
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cold-one
Are you using HE detergent? We have a Whirpool Duet Sport - what sport means in the context of a washing machine I don't know - but the instruction manual does go on about using HE detergent to reduce crud and residue.
Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Another thing that we were told by an ex-Brit that seems to run the only shop in Calgary where one can get Persil is that most Brits put far too much detergent into North American front loaders (we have the same one as you).

My wife was always concerned about the "lack of water" in the machine when compared to the ones in the UK. She was told that the Duets rely on friction to clean and not big soapy suds as in the UK. I thought this was total bollocks but after reducing the amount of detergent to the recommended amount (as per girl in shop; don't know about what packet says) the clothes have cleaned much better

HTH
We have thay very same model, Duet Sport. Generally I like it. I am mean with the washing liquid as I always think they tell you to use more than you need so you buy more. I use HE of course, daft not to, I wouldnt have used the wrong powder before so dont think I need to start now, I cant remember which make but not Tide, maybe Sunlight?
The clothes are clean, its just these fleecy sheets, winter stuff being washed and put away, are covered in hair and fluff even though they were out on the washing line.
I have directed the man to the lower front cover of the machine. He will have a look once he's plumbed the dishwasher in. They come without wiring or plumbing in bits. Daft eh?
So excited, never had a dishwasher before.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

I have a front loader too and had a similar problem.. I started using an extra rinsing cycle at the end (I don't know if the duet has that one...) but the clothes come out cleaner...