Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Where are you on the clutter scale?

Where are you on the clutter scale?

Old Jan 31st 2018, 1:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are you on the clutter scale?

I used to live with a hoarder of objects, she arrived, and left, by pantechnicon. The house was warm and comfortable with nowhere to sit for piles of papers and cats.

Now I live with someone at the other end of the spectrum, things left unused for weeks are at risk and the building is perpetually ready to be staged for a pre-sale open house. There's no real clue inside what manner of people live here, the walls are nicely painted but unadorned.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:53 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I used to live with a hoarder of objects, she arrived, and left, by pantechnicon. The house was warm and comfortable with nowhere to sit for piles of papers and cats.

Now I live with someone at the other end of the spectrum, things left unused for weeks are at risk and the building is perpetually ready to be staged for a pre-sale open house. There's no real clue inside what manner of people live here, the walls are nicely painted but unadorned.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 12:22 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

We are not massively into ornaments, although we have a fair few pictures up.

Books are a problem. They are everywhere (twelve currently on/around the bed). The (very large) bookcase in the basement is packed and there are piles of books around the house.

The basement is clutter central. The electric piano has not been used in years. The treadmill is for hanging laundry to dry and there are other bits of exercise equipment still in their packaging. My personal favourite is the Sony Walkman. We don't own any cassettes.

The garage is becoming an issue. Way too many "useful" empty cat litter buckets and way, way, way too many "potentially useful" offcuts of wood.

One of my neighbours is probably the worst. He cannot even get into his garage. It is completely full. There is a high-end mitre saw in there he bought on sale about 10 years ago. It has never come out of the box. Apparently the inside of his house is even worse.

We try to keep paperwork under control. It goes into a closet in my office and gets culled every couple of years.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

My Dad is very much a hoarder. Books and old post mainly. It drives me mad that if there is a flat surface it has a pile of books, post - some opened some not or both on it! His memory is dreadful so he has a notepad with stuff he needs to know or remember to do on it. Can he find it? Can he chuff!!

I think that growing up in a house like that made me the way I am. Absolutely zero clutter. There is only me and Mrs in the house and having 4 mats on the coffee table does my head in!!
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 7:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
having 4 mats on the coffee table does my head in!!
You have a format issue.