Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

where to live in calgary??

where to live in calgary??

Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

rodders5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where to live in calgary??

Am after peoples advice on areas to live in and around Calgary.
I have got a job down town and so need to commute on a daily basis, so dont want it to be much more than half an hours commute if possible??

Have been looking mainly at Okotoks but open to suggestions, am just not sure about living in on e of the estates as they all seem built a bit on top of each other and totally over looked.

Any ideas???????
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:50 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to live in calgary??

Check out the Wiki pages ... http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Calgary

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Calgary_Residential_Areas

Should give you a starting point anyway.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Hi
I think i would rule out Okotoks and stay within Calgary city limits if you don't want too long a commute. It's a 15-20 min drive from Okotoks to Calgary and then another 20-30 to downtown on the LRT. I've never done that journey in rush hour, so could be longer. HTH
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:26 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

I drive in from Okotoks each so would agree with OP that you won't do it in under 30 minutes. I got to 11th Avenue in 45 this morning but in winter it has taken me twice as long. I've done the commute for a couple of years now and it's like anything else - you get used to it
I guess the appeal of Okotoks for me anyway is that it's close enough to Calgary but far enough away if that makes any sense...?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders5
I have got a job down town and so need to commute on a daily basis, so dont want it to be much more than half an hours commute if possible??

Have been looking mainly at Okotoks but open to suggestions, am just not sure about living in on e of the estates as they all seem built a bit on top of each other and totally over looked.

Any ideas???????
What do you mean by that ? Surely Okotoks is very similar to most communities in Calgary, except outside of the city. When driving through Okotoks one could easily be driving through most communities in Calgary. I appreciate that the view of the mountains is very different from most communities in Calgary.

My recommendation would be a community with good C-Train access, particularly a western community if mountain views are important to you.
Old May 1st 2008, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rodders5

Any ideas???????
You may not always work down town....so if you want to escape the city IMO Cochrane is a nice place to live, and if you want a bit of space check out www.cochranelakes.com
Cochrane is about 15 min or so to the nearest LRT, I would imagine that you'll want to use that ( I think it's another 15 or so min to the core on the LRT) or risk the traffic and the $15 a day parking. There are other nice places around such as Bragg creek, but you'll probably get a bit of cabin fever in the winter there. Also Cochrane offers a quick route to the big outdoors...anyway I imagine you'll find a lot of the estates in calgary aren't as on top of each other as you think..anyway where ever you decide to live I'm sure you'll love it.
Old May 1st 2008, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Depends what you are looking for? If schools are important or not.

I live in the NW and the new CTrain station when it opens this year will be a 5 minute drive for me....right now i drive to the train 15 mins and then take a 15 min train ride down town......if you drive all the way downtown and leave early enough you can do it in a half hour from Tuscany, Royal Oak, Citadel, Arbour Lake.....and all of those communities are within 5 minutes of the new CTrain station.

All of the above are close to the mountains, and far enough out of downtown. Close to COP....

But again it all depends on what you want, how much you want to spend etc......
Old May 1st 2008, 5:35 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Cochrane is about 15 min or so to the nearest LRT, I would imagine that you'll want to use that ( I think it's another 15 or so min to the core on the LRT) or risk the traffic and the $15 a day parking.
You're not seriously suggesting that Cochrane is 15 mins from Dalhousie are you? ... or did you mean the new station at Crowfoot, which will open this summer???? It takes us almost 15 mins to Dalhousie from Arbour Lake.

And it's 20-25 mins on the C-train from Dalhousie to 3rd St station, where we get off downtown.
Old May 1st 2008, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
You're not seriously suggesting that Cochrane is 15 mins from Dalhousie are you? ...
I can get to Dalhousie (or wave at it as I pass on the Crowchild) in about 15-18 mins. But you'd need to allow quite a few mins more to turn off and park up and walk into the station ....

That also would depend on which bit of Cochrane you were coming from too - I've got a head start - 'cos it can take 10 mins just to get from t'other side of the town onto the 1A.
Old May 1st 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

or risk the traffic and the $15 a day parking.
$15 a day, which end of downtown is that at! Where i work its $27 a day! I used to work outwith the core a little and it was $17 a day!

Express bus to the NW is $3 each way and takes 35-40 mins to get home at night in rush hour so bad!
Old May 1st 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I can get to Dalhousie (or wave at it as I pass on the Crowchild) in about 15-18 mins. But you'd need to allow quite a few mins more to turn off and park up and walk into the station ....

That also would depend on which bit of Cochrane you were coming from too - I've got a head start - 'cos it can take 10 mins just to get from t'other side of the town onto the 1A.
Wow !!!! you speed demon!
Old May 1st 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

You may not always work down town....so if you want to escape the city IMO Cochrane is a nice place to live, and if you want a bit of space check out www.cochranelakes.com
Yep, it is really nice out there and if you can afford the prices you can get some amazing deals at the moment. A number of builders finished building spec homes just in time for the house price downturn and they are getting really desperate to get rid of them.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Morwenna
You're not seriously suggesting that Cochrane is 15 mins from Dalhousie are you? ... or did you mean the new station at Crowfoot, which will open this summer???? It takes us almost 15 mins to Dalhousie from Arbour Lake.

And it's 20-25 mins on the C-train from Dalhousie to 3rd St station, where we get off downtown.
Don't forget I live in Gleneagles (The mobile community)...and I'm one of those pillocks that occasionally drive over the speed limit...but yes in the morning it's about fifteen minutes or so.

Most people where I work say why do I live in Cochrane as it is so far away...but when we compare times on how long it takes them to drive from their estate to work, there is virtually nothing in it.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dawnzocalgary
$15 a day, which end of downtown is that at! Where i work its $27 a day! I used to work outwith the core a little and it was $17 a day!

Express bus to the NW is $3 each way and takes 35-40 mins to get home at night in rush hour so bad!
I went for a job once at CP Rail...before I saw the light...and it was $15 then for the day.....but if it's now $27...thank god I have free parking.