Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

When Your Child Gets One Over On You!!!

When Your Child Gets One Over On You!!!

Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:53 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute
Default When Your Child Gets One Over On You!!!

As a few of you know, the Grand National was held on Saturday just gone.

Well, this is the only time of the year that we have a small bet each on the gee-gees. OH and I have bets on horses to win and the kids have a bet each way.

Both OH and I had bets on a couple of horses that were up there with the favourites, the kids picked theirs at random, both of them were described in the paper as 'No Hopers'. Yeah right!!!

My horse refused at the 7th fence, hubby's fell a bit further on, youngest's made it through till about the 25th jump, but my bloomin daughters horse (Silver Birch) romped home at 33-1. So with a £2.50 each way bet she won £108 and a few pence. Could not believe it.

The worst thing is that it was her birthday in January and she is desperate for in Nintendo Wii, but we said it was way to expensive and that if she can save up for half of it then we would pay the other half!

To say she was ecstatic on Saturday was an understatement. Dancing round the room like she was a member of Pans People!

We have now told her that to get the other half she has to be more helpful and do more jobs round the house. Any more suggestions?

K
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When Your Child Gets One Over On You!!!

A colleague's 6 year old did exactly the same thing. Picked a number and came away with over £180 I think !!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see, an eight year old daughter, looking at your previous posts.

Emptying the bins and putting the rubbish in the bin outside, then putting a new bag in the bin, hoovering the downstairs living areas once/twice a week, keeping her room tidy for a set period/tidying it up after having friends round, bringing the milk in and taking the empties out to the doorstep, (if you have any delivered), taking her toys back to her bedroom every evening. Is that enough yet? I'm not saying that we are successful with all of the above on a regular basis, but for a set period, it could work. my daughter, (8), is pleased to have responsibility for dealing with the milk, and my son, (14), knows that he has to deal with the bins, but these jobs are to to earn their pocket money, so they do them without complaint.

Aren't the kids always the ones to find money too!

good luck

Robin
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:42 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kazbob

The worst thing is that it was her birthday in January and she is desperate for in Nintendo Wii, but we said it was way to expensive and that if she can save up for half of it then we would pay the other half!

To say she was ecstatic on Saturday was an understatement. Dancing round the room like she was a member of Pans People!

We have now told her that to get the other half she has to be more helpful and do more jobs round the house. Any more suggestions?
I'm going to defend your daughter on this one.

I hardly think it fair that when she has come up with the money which you demanded albeit won rather than saved, that you now change the rules and tell her she has to do more in order to get her game machine.

Sorry, I say give her the money, she lived up to her half of the bargain.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. A deal is a deal.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:47 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: When Your Child Gets One Over On You!!!

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I agree too. She kept her part of the bargain. This is life.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Sorry, I say give her the money, she lived up to her half of the bargain.
Originally Posted by lizwil98
Originally Posted by Mallory
I agree too. She kept her part of the bargain. This is life.
^^^^^^^^^
What they said! You didn't discuss HOW she was to get the money - you mistakenly assumed it would take her a while to "save" it. If there was any doubt that you would be able to come up with the other half, then you should have inserted a "subject to availability" in the 'contract'.....lol
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:04 pm
Happy as a pig in treacle

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of

As mother to one who must be the most scheming/wily teenager on the planet....... Cough the money!! ...sorry
C
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:30 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say I agree with the people who said a deals a deal.

Lets look at this in a few years time.

'Mom, is it ok if I go to the Mall with my friends'

'Sure hun, just be back by 5'

'Oh Mom, X doesnt have to be home till 8'

'Ok lets have a deal.......6:30'

'thanks mom thats a deal'

Daughter arrives home at 8:30, when you give her a mouthful she turns round and says why should I stick to our deals you never did.

In other words, if you cant stick to your word why the hell should she? Teach by example.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:36 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Try and convince her that after this success, she could win even more money by picking some more winners. Either she'll make enough to pay for the thing herself, or she'll blow the lot, meaning she won't have her half to put towards it, so you get out of it either way.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 12:54 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but a deal is a deal, give her the money.

Many many years ago when I was a young yin, I picked Redrum to win but my Dad took it upon himself to place the bet on another horse thinking mine had no chance, and as we all know Redrum won, so my Mum made him pay me my winnings. I didn't win much, I think it was around £2.50, but at the time it was alot to me.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:53 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

You said it in the title of this thread....play fair and pay up.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:08 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, alot of people with the same mindset as me. I'll have to show my OH the replies to this as this is exactly what I said when she won. I think the problem is that we have to save up to make up the other half!!

Will have to get saving now. Think we will just give her the money to put in her account and when we are a bit more flush will cough up the rest.

K
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:35 am

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't keep to your deal this time, she won't play the game next time! And if the shoe was on the other foot, wouldn't you expect her to keep to her word. Come on, pay up.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:20 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kazbob
Any more suggestions?
Send her out to buy some lotto tickets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.