Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

when and where are poppies available?

Wikiposts

when and where are poppies available?

Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:42 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when and where are poppies available?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Actually, iain, I think it would be better termed "forgetance". Just because "our" population isn't currently being decimated by the realpolitik of existing power structures, this allows us to wallow in sentimentalism, rather than address the hard fact that worse stuff is being perpetrated as we speak.

Wheres the sentimentalism? Maybe you should take some time and actually attend a remembrance day ceremony, then you might get it.

The fact that wars and genocides are going on elsewhere has nothing to do with remembering those who have sacrificed so much for us in the past. If anything it should be a sobering reminder of why we should try as hard as we can to resolve current disputes by diplomacy and compromise before we send our youth into harms way to intervene.

I have no idea what a split infinitive is...but I expect you were refering to a hyperbaton anyway

Last edited by iaink; Oct 29th 2008 at 8:14 am.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:46 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Wheres the sentimentalism? Maybe you should take some time and attend a remembrance day ceremony, then you might get it.
Here's a photo I took earlier this year. Not on Rememberance Day.
Attached Thumbnails when and where are poppies available?-img_0349.jpg  
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm leaving now to pop out to the Kneipe for a few hours. I'll see if I can find some Germans to alienate instead of you lot.

Of course I might be somewhat tired and emotional by the time I get back, so expect the worst.

Tschuess.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:54 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Wheres the sentimentalism? Maybe you should take some time and attend a remembrance day ceremony, then you might get it.

The fact that wars and genocides are going on elsewhere has nothing to do with remembering those who have sacrificed so much for us in the past. If anything it should be a sobering reminder of why we should try as hard as we can to resolve current disputes by diplomacy and compromise before we send out youth into harms way to intervene.

"History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban.

I googled the quote "Diplomacy is what men resort to when all else has failed" to attribute properly, I think its Eban again, but couldn't find it. Anyone know it, or have I made it up?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:55 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm leaving now to pop out to the Kneipe for a few hours. I'll see if I can find some Germans to alienate instead of you lot.

Of course I might be somewhat tired and emotional by the time I get back, so expect the worst.

Tschuess.
I look forward to it.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:45 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

so expect the worst.
Your "worst" is pathetic, and certainly nothing to be fearful of.

R.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:00 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I look forward to it.
He said worst, not wurst.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

sarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura about

Rememberance Day and the Eurovision Song contest are so just so artificial.
Not sure that the Chelsea Pensioners or anybody else for that matter, see Rememberance Day as artificial.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:15 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Souvenir
He said worst, not wurst.
Oh my, that didn't go quite as planned. Instead of alienating the Bosch, I got invited to an all night party.

A moments calculation will tell you that it's now 7:15 am. Time for a rest.