Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

When I first moved to Canada ...

When I first moved to Canada ...

Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default When I first moved to Canada ...

... I thought it was dead lazy, and frankly, a bit weird to sell grated cheddar cheese in a bag. Now I think "How bloody useful is that"?

... I used to despair at the outside-lane-hogging, undertaking, and lack of foresight when there was a lorry or a junction up ahead. Now I think undertaking is a fantastic use of my time and skills to get where I want to go. Oh, and they're called trucks, not lorries.

... I laughed at drive-thru cash machines. Bloody marvellous invention though, for lazy buggers who cannot possibly walk 15 paces into the bank when it's a tad chilly outside.

... I could not believe just how many minutes of an hour of television are dedicated to commercials. Repeat commercials at that. No change there then.

... I hated all the dark brown furniture. Oh god, give me some nice modern light oak.
Dear God, I'm contemplating a dark wood dining table. Please forgive me.

... I couldn't understand why we couldn't find a nice little 1.2 litre runaround car. I still don't. Understand I mean.
Mind you, there was nothing wrong with our 3.8 litre sofa-on-wheels Caravan. Most comfortable, lolloping thing ever, fab for kids and holidays. Environment and costs? Pah! I've now downsized to a 2.7 litre. Europeans, eh?

... I was very wary of forced-air heating. It's fast. It's OK. And I haven't expired of a breathing disease after all.

... I did nearly expire, however, at the price of a loaf. I'm still in shock.

... I loved the sky and the vast spaces. I love it even more now.

... I said I'm not gonna wear that.
Now - the warmer, the better - fashion be-damned.
Balacalvas? Not just for robbing banks apparently.

Your turn. And yes, it's a nearly-Friday thread
Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When I first moved to Canada ...

...the doctor slapped me and I cried.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

I nearly died when our friends told us their 1 year old son loved his suspenders! - now I find myself talking toques, suspenders, elevators, vacations etc with the best of them!
Old Oct 7th 2011, 2:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

How the natives sniggered when I referred to the "jumper" I was wearing.

And the blank looks when asking for a "Biro"

I remember when -15 was unimaginably cold, now its just a nice day to go skiing.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 2:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I argued for a better way of doing things. Now I just tend to accept it's not going to change and live with the inefficiencies and incompetence.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the snow went away after a couple of days, and would come back again, didn't realise once it lands in December (roughly) it stays till end of March (roughly)!

Thought you could hire skates at the local ice rinks, didn't realise everyone owned a pair! Oh and you don't sharpen them once a year!

Didn't realise when you leave a bottle of red wine in the car overnight and its parked outside in the winter, it will freeze and explode! Soon found out though.

I also didn't realise that when the snowploughs aren't out in the winter due to conditions you're not supposed to be either. However in my defence there was a sale going on!

Great Friday thread, cheers
Old Oct 7th 2011, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I remember my first Haloween. looking up into the sky in the morning and innocently not realising it would soon pour with candy
Old Oct 7th 2011, 2:41 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I was shocked at the cost of food - I still am
Old Oct 7th 2011, 2:44 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

....I had never worn a woolly hat as a matter of course during the winter. Now I do, and I refer to it as a toque. (eh).

....I thought that $700 a month for a repayment on a Jeep Liberty was a good deal. That notion soon disappeared.

....I had conversations every week with my parents where they asked when I was moving back home. Now they seem to have finally accepted this is where I live.

....I thought I'd never eat crappy North American choclate, then I realised that any chocolate is better than no chocolate.

....I hadn't discovered British Expats. Then I did. And my productivity at work declined exponentially.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:11 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I remember being upset at the realisation that yes, that is what they call beer.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:14 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Gas was 95c ltr
Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:14 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
How the natives sniggered when I referred to the "jumper" I was wearing.

And the blank looks when asking for a "Biro"

I remember when -15 was unimaginably cold, now its just a nice day to go skiing.

-25 is still considered a good day for a run in my circle.

What will be the reaction asking for an ERASER?

Trousers still makes people snicker. Calling it PANTS is just bang out of order or pants. LOL

Last edited by ultrarunner; Oct 7th 2011 at 3:17 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Gas was 95c ltr
In '98 Gas was 35c/l. I thought something was wrong with my Rental Corolla as I could only get $12 into the tank....
Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
In '98 Gas was 35c/l. I thought something was wrong with my Rental Corolla as I could only get $12 into the tank....
29c out west in '96
Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:28 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
-25 is still considered a good day for a run in my circle.

What will be the reaction asking for an ERASER?

Trousers still makes people snicker. Calling it PANTS is just bang out of order or pants. LOL
What does one wear when they run in -25?

Only reason I ask was when I tried I had to turn around after 10 minutes because I was loosing feeling around the pelvis area and was genuinely worried about frost bight.

On raising this question with cradles they simply responded I was mad to consider running outside in such conditions.

I have always preferred running in colder weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.