Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

When do you know enough is enough?

When do you know enough is enough?

Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:34 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When do you know enough is enough?

Was chatting the other day with someone about how you know enough is enough of something - on a big scale..............maybe it's a crappy job that you have been in for ages, the UK, a realtionship, a friend etc, college course. weight issue or the like...

I was wondering if any of you have experienced light bulb moments in scenarios where enough was enough - you weren't going to take anymore!!!!. Or do you find that usually it's a process and takes time to come to big decisions that alter life, and it's a result of hard thought and soul searching? Are you a snap decision maker or are you a more considered person? Is there a difference between the sexes? Are you more decisive or more considered since your choice to immigrate?

I couldn't help but think it was interesting to hear how different people make decisons that are life altering, as that's something that all of us here have in common.

From a historically indecisive
Mrs Miggins (but that can always change eh?)
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of
Default Re: When do you know enough is enough?

Depends what the situation is for me, but as an example... I decided enough was enough and split from my partner of 11 years as I was no longer happy (and neither was he). We'd tried everything we could to make things work and it felt like we were flogging a dead horse. I think there comes a point in time when you just get that moment of clarity and know what to do. I think something as life changing as this is something (for me) that has to be considered and thought through. It took months of souls searching, tears and heartache to come to the mutual decision to call it a day, but in retrospect, I knew that it was over long before he did!

Normally, I am quite an impulsive person, and once my mind is made up to do something, there's no changing it.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 2:32 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

so is it gut instinct?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've learnt that my gut reaction is often a good one, with regards to the big stuff - but I still procrastinate and let things unfold for a month or two before making the leap. Maybe I don't have the confidence that my gut reaction is the right one - though historically, I should have 'got' that by now. I do think humans find it very hard to imagine or look ahead to what might be - and then later on, they look back several months or years down the line and see that in fact, things worked out OK afterall, and we're all still here and that everyone is muddling by just like we are

My advice - don't let indecision make you ill. Sometimes one decision, any decision, is better than limbo-land. There is only so much limbo-land that one soul can take before they crack
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

eldoran is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm as indecisive as they come! I think that, over the years, I've made so many decisions in my job, that I struggle to decide anything in my homelife!

I do usually find that if there's a decision to be made, I have to find a reason (or an excuse!) for my final choice - it's just not enough for me to accept that I simply 'decided'!

In a previous relationship, I decided that enough was enough many times for many years before I actually left - but due to loads of different reasons.. my eldest son being the most important, it took a long time of indecision before I experienced the lightbulb moment where I just upped and left - BEST DECISION EVER!

I think that lifechanging decisions (eg emigration) are sometimes easier if it's just yourself involved - but when the decision involves kids and family then it can be a lot more difficult...

now.. what shall I have for my supper?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:27 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I think that making the move to Canada has made me a little bolder in how I approach life.

I was toying with the idea of changing careers when we moved to Calgary 9 months ago, but I got a job in my usual field and went with it until earlier this year it started making me a bit ill and I couldn't face going in to work.

I resigned and then withdrew my resignation a week later after talking to my boss (who was great) who suggested I might want some more time to think about it.

Funnily enough we had a motivational speaker in a training session at work who was saying about you are the one who has the power to change things and that you shouldn't put up with crap, etc.....ironically it was this that helped me make my final decision and I quit my job!!!

This was about 4 weeks ago now and I fell that a great weight has been taken off my shoulders even though I don't have a permanent job right now, I feel already that I've done the right thing.

The strange thing is if I were still in the UK I think I would still be doing the same thing, day in and day out. I think that preparing to emigrate and all the stuff we had to organise and decisions to leave family and friends has made me a bit stronger and more able to change things - I have come to the conclusion that I would rather be poor and happy and have my health rather than earning a decent wage but being really miserable!!!

My advice would be weigh up the pros and cons carefully...and go for it!

Or in the words of Pauline Calf:

"Try it - you might like it. If you don't like it, try it anyway - you still might like it"