Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

When did your relationship with UK friends and family start to fade

When did your relationship with UK friends and family start to fade

Old Jun 19th 2017, 3:50 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did your relationship with UK friends and family start to fade

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
We were in Norfolk in March. It's still pretty.
Yes, I still love Norfolk- just so many other different places I want to visit, in the UK as well as abroad. Clearly I'm opposite to Hawkmoon.[/QUOTE]
We drove through Norfolk last year on the way back from Lincolnshire to London, a leisurely drive as we had plenty of time. I also love Norfolk - so when I visit family and friends, I also try to see lovely areas close by. It also gives me the opportunity to show my OH the places I mention frequently. But, as a lot of the family I visit are elderly, there will come the day that I have fewer people to visit, and we can go to places just to see them, like the Lake District. But there also is the rest of the world to visit - so many places, so little spare time...
Old Jun 19th 2017, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
Yes, I still love Norfolk- just so many other different places I want to visit, in the UK as well as abroad. Clearly I'm opposite to Hawkmoon.
We drove through Norfolk last year on the way back from Lincolnshire to London, a leisurely drive as we had plenty of time. I also love Norfolk - so when I visit family and friends, I also try to see lovely areas close by. It also gives me the opportunity to show my OH the places I mention frequently. But, as a lot of the family I visit are elderly, there will come the day that I have fewer people to visit, and we can go to places just to see them, like the Lake District. But there also is the rest of the world to visit - so many places, so little spare time...[/QUOTE]

I also like to go see places - Whitby (the original) is a particular favourite. I was merely trying to say that I wouldn't base my decision whether to visit someone on where they lived.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:00 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77

I also like to go see places - Whitby (the original) is a particular favourite. I was merely trying to say that I wouldn't base my decision whether to visit someone on where they lived.
Ahh yes, that is true. I have family in places I would normally never visit for a holiday - Croydon comes to mind! But I would always visit them when I can, and if they moved to an equally non-holiday place, I would still visit them.

I think your point shows that there are people out there who will make the effort to visit family and friends because they want to see them, and others that can't be bothered to make the effort at all. Then there are the ones that would only visit if they can combine a trip to a place they want to visit, such as Disney, or Florida. It doesn't seem to matter if they like the people and have the best intentions of keeping in touch, it's just the way they are...
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh yes, that is true. I have family in places I would normally never visit for a holiday - Croydon comes to mind! But I would always visit them when I can, and if they moved to an equally non-holiday place, I would still visit them.

I think your point shows that there are people out there who will make the effort to visit family and friends because they want to see them, and others that can't be bothered to make the effort at all. Then there are the ones that would only visit if they can combine a trip to a place they want to visit, such as Disney, or Florida. It doesn't seem to matter if they like the people and have the best intentions of keeping in touch, it's just the way they are...
Yes, I suppose that is a fair summary. I did live in Croydon (briefly)
Old Jun 19th 2017, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up a hire car there once....my Ontario drivers licence threw them..they had never seen one before and the bi-lingual nature of the licence totally threw them. They thought I would have a US licence since 'Canada and the US are the same thing aren't they'? in their words. Our daughter, 10 years old at the time, said quietly to me 'dad just keep quiet and don't tell them what you really think of them'.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 3:44 pm
Back in US & happy!

So did I - well Selsdon, but worked in Croydon, so there every day
Old Jun 21st 2017, 3:46 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I picked up a hire car there once....my Ontario drivers licence threw them..they had never seen one before and the bi-lingual nature of the licence totally threw them. They thought I would have a US licence since 'Canada and the US are the same thing aren't they'? in their words. Our daughter, 10 years old at the time, said quietly to me 'dad just keep quiet and don't tell them what you really think of them'.
At least she said it quietly!!!
Old Jun 21st 2017, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

At least she said it quietly!!!
Unfortunately she wasn't beside me at Christmas time @ Heathrow when I lost it with those people who check your passport etc to let you on the plane with 45 minutes lead time.

When we came to her counter there was 45 minutes before the departure time, then she had to take a call etc and by that time it was 44 minutes and we had to wait another 4 hours for a flight to Nice. The reason it was such tight timing is that the two guys in front of us had passport issues and she spent 5+ minutes with them which caused us to be tight in terms of time. My assurances that the three of us were able bodied people who could run to the gate fell on deaf ears. I also reminded her that based on my day at Heathrow I had no confidence that the flight would actually leave on time and that we would be able to get to the gate in plenty of time.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Familiar?
Attached Thumbnails When did your relationship with UK friends and family start to fade-screenshot_2017-06-26-21-06-03%7E2.png  
Old Jun 27th 2017, 2:45 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Familiar?
Very - that would be me waiting for my sister to visit, or phone... Well that is if I actually waited, but I don't - I am out having a very enjoyable life!! No idea what her life is like..
Old Jun 28th 2017, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I think when I move to Canada it will be difficult because I won't see my brother or my friends as easily.
My brother lives about 5 miles from me but it took me trying from October last year to see him in June this year and that was just to go for a burger near where he lives. So he has now made himself very difficult to see anyway! And since he is the only family I have, that just means leaving friends behind, and that will be hard.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 5:56 pm
Back in US & happy!

I thought I would post this here as it is more to do with relationships than the eclipse, but I have already had friends who have shown no interest in coming to Rochester to see me suggesting they will arrive on my doorstep in 2024 for the next one. So I only have to wait 7 years to see them!!!
Old Aug 31st 2017, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought I would post this here as it is more to do with relationships than the eclipse, but I have already had friends who have shown no interest in coming to Rochester to see me suggesting they will arrive on my doorstep in 2024 for the next one. So I only have to wait 7 years to see them!!!
so an eclipse and a trip to 'House of Guitars' will be in order for them in 2024.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately you will be several hundred miles away from Rochester when they arrive!
Old Aug 31st 2017, 6:50 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
so an eclipse and a trip to 'House of Guitars' will be in order for them in 2024.
Don't know if they deserve something as nice as that!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.