Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What was your first computer at home and at work?

What was your first computer at home and at work?

Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default What was your first computer at home and at work?

Inspired by Steve's Apple IIGS woes.

First work 'puter an Elliot 903, first at home a VIC 20.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was your first computer at home and at work?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Inspired by Steve's Apple IIGS woes.

First work 'puter an Elliot 903, first at home a VIC 20.
I'm obviously not as old as you

First home computer (mine, not one belonging to my older brothers) was an Amstrad 6128. First work computer would have been a bog-standard intel 80386 of some description.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
I'm obviously not as old as you
Oi. I'm not as old as Steve.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

first home computer was an atari ST

first work was some kind of windoze box running 3.1 i think
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:14 am
Born again atheist

The Elliot 903 was the size of a room, took paper tape or punch card input and had the computational might of a pocket calculator.

Fortran, you've gotta luv it.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:20 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

First home was a Mac Quadra. The first work one I had was a powerbook 15".
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:24 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

First computer at home was a ZX81. Remember 'ram pack wobble' anyone?

First work computer were Wang minicomputers I think...all I recall was that the email programme was called 'Wang Office' Cue much amusement with 'Send me a Wang, Wang me, etc etc.'
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:24 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Oink
First home was a Mac Quadra. The first work one I had was a powerbook 15".
Either insightful or very young.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:26 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
First computer at home was a ZX81. Remember 'ram pack wobble' anyone?

First work computer were Wang minicomputers I think...all I recall was that the email programme was called 'Wang Office' Cue much amusement with 'Send me a Wang, Wang me, etc etc.'
Wanger.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:32 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

First home computer was a Sinclair Spectrum.

I think this was my first work computer as well. I was with a travel operator I had the task of writing a program that would record the numbers of airline tickets sold.

Next I went to work for a bank in the city that had a mainframe the size of a European principality, then finally to a company that had PCs. The accounting department of 25 people had 2 PCs between them. I can't remember the brand name (although Victor rings a bell). They had two 5.25" floppy drives. You put the disk with the program in the left had side and the disk with the data on the right hand side. One day we bought a 1MB external hard drive. We fought each other tooth and nail to use that vast expanse of storage.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:38 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by JonboyE
First home computer was a Sinclair Spectrum.

I think this was my first work computer as well. I was with a travel operator I had the task of writing a program that would record the numbers of airline tickets sold.

Next I went to work for a bank in the city that had a mainframe the size of a European principality, then finally to a company that had PCs. The accounting department of 25 people had 2 PCs between them. I can't remember the brand name (although Victor rings a bell). They had two 5.25" floppy drives. You put the disk with the program in the left had side and the disk with the data on the right hand side. One day we bought a 1MB external hard drive. We fought each other tooth and nail to use that vast expanse of storage.
That's the sort of stuff I'd hoped for. Living in a baked bean can computer tales.

After the VIC-20 I earned a living for a year or two writing machine code for a 6502 based Commodore PET. Then I bought one of the first IBM 8088 based PCs and wrote code for that too.

Them was the dayz.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:58 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Our 1st home computer was a ZX Spectrum too - Hungry Horace rocks!

I remember getting a book full of games that you could programme into the computer so after a week of programming you select 'go' and the whole thing crashes

As for work computers - I dunno!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 1:05 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Our 1st home computer was a ZX Spectrum too - Hungry Horace rocks!

I remember getting a book full of games that you could programme into the computer so after a week of programming you select 'go' and the whole thing crashes

As for work computers - I dunno!
Cassette tape storage? Luxury.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 1:13 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Vic 20 here with Cassette storage.

Followed by an Apple II+ Clone

Last edited by Steve_P; Apr 10th 2009 at 1:29 am.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 1:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Alas, I don't keep close track of this geekier than thou shit but:

- I recall my, now ex, wife playing Adventure all night with friends from neighbouring apartments in about 1983, Adventure was a mainframe text based game "You are in a cave, it is pitch black" she was attached to the mainframe via a Scanset, a screen of about 40x40 characters which used an acoustic coupler and a phone line at 300 baud. Later she used an Osbourne which I could barely lift but which went at 1200 baud.

- My first machine at work was an ICL System 4 with a magnetic drum. At least that's the first machine of which I remember the name. The first machine from which I made serious money was a PDP 11 with a German language Assembler translator; the IBM LA (load address) instruction was rendered as LIK (Load Index Konstant). It used magnetic cards as storage and had no other form of memory.

I moved to Canada in 1981 and then, as now, it was a backwater. I learned 1401 Autocoder, obviously one does not look back after mastering Autocoder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.