Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What are you doing for New Year?

What are you doing for New Year?

Old Dec 31st 2007, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking What are you doing for New Year?

We are having a fancy dress party and will be putting a dent in the huge supply of Jack Daniels & Vodka we got for Christmas. (I love fancy dress, it's a great excuse to wear a tarty outfit and get away with it and for the blokes it seems to be an ideal way to get away with dressing like a woman).

This year it will be tinged with sadness as it will be our last in the UK (hopefully) and the end of an era. We have hosted the New Year party for about 7yrs and have had some wild nights.

Whats everyone else up to? What can we expect next year in Canada?

Sharon
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:37 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you doing for New Year?

We've been invited to a New Years party in the town. Tickets are $50 each you get dinner and by the sounds of it a bottle of champers each (wooooohooooo).

O/h loves it because the guys don't really dress up (its the whole long sleeved t shirt under a short sleeved t shirt, body warmer, jeans and cowboy boots fashion here for men!) but the girlies all go to town and look fab, so gonna go into town in a bit, get some stuff for my hair and maybe buy a new top (did I really say that dear? No I've had this one ages I can't believe you never noticed it in the UK???!!!)

I think it starts around 7 but should be interesting to see what happens at the stroke of midnight as the no smoking law kicks in

Whatever anyone is up to, wherever you are in the world, have a very happy end to this year and next year is in your hands
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:04 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't like parties, I find New Years Eve anticlimactic and I'm an early bird as well. So I will likely go to bed at 8-9 pm as normal.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:15 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

We've never celebrated New Years, so for out first year in Canada we're going to ease into it gently. We're off to City Hall for the bash.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I used to go to parties hating them but thinking I would be missing out on something if I didnt go. Now I realise that's utter tosh and that for me crowds are lonely places. This is especially true for those of us who are hard of hearing.

I do like to see the New Year in with close friends and thats what we are doing tonight. A meal, a movie and webcam to my mum so shes not alone at midnight.

Here's hoping that 2008 will be peaceful, healthy and prosperous.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:23 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

We have some friends coming over & will have a relaxed evening of food, drink, watch a movie and generally chilling out. Then on New Years day I'll be mostly digging out from the snow that's coming our way!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:26 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
So I will likely go to bed at 8-9 pm as normal.
Looks like I'll be joining you. We've got to leave for the airport at 4:15 am to catch a flight to the Dominican Republic. My little brother's getting married and has obviously decided to test everyone's loyalty by doing it somewhere where it'll cost everyone a fortune to attend. Bless.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

we will be going to the local chinese restaraunt same as we have done for the past five years but this will be the last time as next year we will be in calgary whopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

We'll be home tonight, most likely will watch a couple more episodes of the "Blue Planet" that I got got Christmas and go to bed at 10:00pm our normal time.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Party time at a friends. We always have hosted the party but as we are decorating our house to sell our friends are having us over this year.

I think that its going to be quite a small affair which I feel a bit sad about as it will be our last on in the UK. I am starting to wish we had hosted as usual as I love New Year and we normally have a really good 'do'.

Next year its New Year at my place in NS!!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!!!

I'm off to some friends house later, and there will be about 7 of us, I'll be the only singleton with no one to kiss @ midnight

Hey Ho! It will be a great night - lots of food / drink / games and watch the telly @ midnight!!!

Next year - who knows - somewhere in Canada doing what Canadians do!!!

all the best to you all, and may 2008 be all that each of you want it to be!!!

Bandit!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:33 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be 'playing' Guitar Hero 3 at a party on the stroke of midnight.

I intend to start the year as a Rock God and then let it descend into mundane(ness) from then on.

Have a great one whatever you all decide to do.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

I'm off to Peterborough tonight to spend it with two of my best friends, either bar-hopping or going to a few house parties. Preferably both!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:44 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if we are staying oin or going out - depends if the fireworks are tonight or tomorrow night. If it's tomorrow night (New Years Day) we'll not be going anywhere as tomorrow is our wedding anniversary and we are being romantic at home
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:52 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

we'll be staying in with a curry and a movie or two. Said curry is sitting in the fridge now - we were going to get a takeout this evening, and phoned the curry house yesterday to check opening hours only to discover that they're closed all day. So ordered there and then and will reheat for tonight (which also means I can start drinking earlier as won't have to drive down the hill to pick up said curry - woo hoo!)

Curry shop, by the way, is Coriander Green on Church St in Oakville, for anyone within striking distance - highly recommended!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.