Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What is wrong with people?

What is wrong with people?

Old Jan 24th 2018, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is wrong with people?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
...So, for example, kissing, which is then reciprocated is not consent to, for example, removing clothes and touching bare skin. If no pushing back occurs, kissing nipples, without objection, is not consent. Moving on to penetration, without explicit consent, is not consent either.

One cannot assume consent merely from lack of objection so, in each of those occasions, the party doing the touching is committing a sexual assault. Judge Camp asked, when should the Affidavit giving consent be signed? and the Crown prosecutor had no answer for him.

In other words, in theory, one must ask, can I kiss you, can I undress you, can I fondle your breasts, can I penetrate you and one must receive a position "yes" to each of those failing which, in Canada, it is sexual assault. The person having the act done to them does not have to object, the onus is on the person performing the act to obtain express consent.
Yes, exactly. Why is it so difficult? Is it not normal to have a discussion prior to anything happening about what you consent to and what you don't, and then to check as you go along? Who would honestly want their partner doing something they weren't 100% on board with?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 11:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
What is a reasonable expectation of a group of men?
The same as the reasonable expectation of a group of any gender, or combination of genders, naturally assigned or self-selected.

It depends on the circumstances, one might have a different expectation of the audience at an opera than of the crowd at a hen night. If one sought, for example, to avoid crude language and violent behavior one would stay out of the way of iced hockey parents and hunt saboteurs.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 12:16 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

It's an interesting discussion this one because it questions some of our attitudes.

The scenario is that a group of men gather together to eat, drink and 'flirt' with women who are recruited for this purpose.

The objection is that the women were exploited sexually and this was understood by the organisers because they arranged for sexy clothing to be worn and insisted on secrecy as set out in the non-disclosure document.

So, in a country where 'hostesses' are tolerated for their sexual laxity and where tolerance to prostitution is in the main accepted, why has this episode become newsworthy?

I suspect that the main issue is that the young ladies were not recruited from those who earn their living from selling sexual favours. So you have to ask why. Would the men have agreed to such a gathering had they know they were to flirt with professionals or was the titillation of flirting with young innocents the attraction? On the organisational side, would the professionals have wanted more money and did they recruit those they considered cheap because they didn't know the going rate? Perhaps it was the very innocence and unpreparedness of the young ladies that was the attraction and of course this might exclude those who perform to order.

So, I have no objection to any number of men or women interacting at any sexual level with groups of the opposite or same sex where EVERYONE understands precisely what is happening and what is expected of them. And this is where the story becomes newsworthy because I don't think that all of the young women were prepared for what the organisers had arranged. I don't think that the organisers had explained what would happen and in this respect deserve to be front page news.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 2:48 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
Yes, exactly. Why is it so difficult? Is it not normal to have a discussion prior to anything happening about what you consent to and what you don't, and then to check as you go along? Who would honestly want their partner doing something they weren't 100% on board with?
I can't say that I've ever asked a long term partner whether I can kiss them, caress them or indulge in mutually satisfying acts before or during the event. If I was asked before each 'part' of the act, I would probably get somewhat ticked off and lose any interest.

(If they told me they were not in the mood or turned away or objected at any time, then I would obviously stop)

Does anyone ask their long term partner this in reality?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 25th 2018 at 2:51 am.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:05 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I can't say that I've ever asked a long term partner whether I can kiss them, caress them or indulge in mutually satisfying acts before or during the event. If I was asked before each 'part' of the act, I would probably get somewhat ticked off and lose any interest.

(If they told me they were not in the mood or turned away or objected at any time, then I would obviously stop)

Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

I do. My husband and I have been together (and happy!) for fifteen years and we both do, we ask before anything, even hugging. Its been the norm with previous partners too, ime.

I don't find it frustrating or interrupting, I find it increases trust and makes it so much more enjoyable.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading that back it sounded overly self righteous, not what I intended.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:13 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

How am I meant to hear my wife say yes with that gag in her mouth and that tight leather hood on?
Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
How am I meant to hear my wife say yes with that gag in her mouth and that tight leather hood on?
Haven't you downloaded the consent and safe signal checklist spreadsheet from the BDSM society's website? That should have coverered it along with a good list of top tips.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:20 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't you downloaded the consent and safe signal checklist spreadsheet from the BDSM society's website? That should have coverered it along with a good list of top tips.
Of course I haven't - she might say she doesn't like it.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Seriously? You're saying that men are guaranteed to assault women given the opportunity? That women wearing matching knickers is likely to make this happen? That signing a non disclosure agreement indicates that something illegal/immoral/offensive is going to happen?

What about other bad behaviour should we just accept that that is going to happen too?
Obviously I am not saying all men are guaranteed to assault women if given the opportunity, nor that we should accept poor behavior. I am saying though the world is what it is, and one has to deal with it while hoping it will improve. Signing a non-disclosure agreement for a job as a Hostess at a male-only event I think is an indicator of a potential situation that someone wishes to keep quiet. Maybe another generation, or two or three, may provide a generation of males that have better behavior in such situations, but the recent events seem to show am unacceptable percentage of men still behave in such manner as exhibited by recent events and disclosures.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 10:15 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Obviously I am not saying all men are guaranteed to assault women if given the opportunity, nor that we should accept poor behavior. I am saying though the world is what it is, and one has to deal with it while hoping it will improve. Signing a non-disclosure agreement for a job as a Hostess at a male-only event I think is an indicator of a potential situation that someone wishes to keep quiet. Maybe another generation, or two or three, may provide a generation of males that have better behavior in such situations, but the recent events seem to show am unacceptable percentage of men still behave in such manner as exhibited by recent events and disclosures.
It's pretty obvious, isn't it. Just the word 'hostess' in this day and age should set off some red flags. Dress code, NDA, men-only event. Nobody should be groped, obviously, but it is a risk, and grown women are capable of evaluating such a risk. Even in a restaurant or bar you get this kind of behavior, occasionally. I get the sense that FT journalist was simply keen to expose the goings-on (and why not) and given the Weinstein et al revelations, the story has become a big scandal rather than a saucy tale. Just another storm in a Dorchester teacup, methinks.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 1:21 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Non disclosure agreement could just mean that famous people would be there.

Dress code, uniform? Not unusual. What you wear does not indicate consent.

Grown women? 19 some of them. I think one would expect to have to fend off lewd comments but not physical abuse. Why would all those women agree to be groped by strangers?

Hostess doesn't mean prostitute.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 1:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say that I've ever asked a long term partner whether I can kiss them, caress them or indulge in mutually satisfying acts before or during the event.
How about a short term one
If I was asked before each 'part' of the act, I would probably get somewhat ticked off and lose any interest.
Indeed. I was likely to incur my wife's wrath for pausing
Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

Haven't you downloaded the consent and safe signal checklist spreadsheet from the BDSM society's website?

Originally Posted by Shard
It's pretty obvious, isn't it. Just the word 'hostess' in this day and age should set off some red flags. ..
How long is it since the term Air Hostess was dropped for that very reason.

I do find myself wondering if women have stopped handling the goods at hen nights. Occupational hazzard?
Old Jan 25th 2018, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Theoretically yes. Unless you have expressly asked, how do you know for sure your partner is consenting and hasn't felt coerced or outright forced into it? Wouldn't you always want to make sure your partner is consenting?! I don't think how long, or not a couple has been together makes the slightest bit of difference.
The length of the relationship was mentioned simply to point out that, one assumes, those that have been together for some time are likely to act differently than those that have only just met.

I have to admit that I don't ask my wife if it is OK to kiss her when I leave for work each morning. According to the Supreme Court of Canada, if I do this, I am committing a sexual assault, just as I would be if I gave her a cuddle in the middle of the night while she is sleeping.

I am not suggesting it is difficult but I am suggesting that, in reality and in the vast majority of cases, such "question and answer" consent in a long term relationship does not occur. I suggest that one party will initiate something, the other party will either say words to the effect of "not now, I have a headache" or things move forward. That is not consent in accordance with Canadian law.

Clearly, if someone says "no" there can be no argument that there is no consent but, for example, the Canadian law appears to prevent any form of spontaneity at all and, in effect, requires a question and an answer.

Hollywood's spectacle of ripping clothes off, throwing up against walls is outlawed unless one says, "can I rip your clothes off" to wish the answer must be "yes", followed by, "can I throw you up against the wall" to which the answer must be "yes" and so on, and so on. Consent cannot be inferred from the other's apparent willingness to participate.

Edit: I see that others have made similar points which I hadn't read when I posted this.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jan 25th 2018 at 1:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.