What would you do...

Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:53 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do...

Stick it To The Man!

Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I would like you to explain which jobs don't require accountability. I would think that they all do. Of course, the person performing the work may decide that s/he isn't accountable, but that is a different argument isn't it?
Hiring a gardener? Paying somebody to clear snow off your drive? No need for them to guarantee the work.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Hiring a gardener? Paying somebody to clear snow off your drive? No need for them to guarantee the work.
I guess you believe that it is OK for such people to not contribute to society through the payment of taxes.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:16 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Almost all the at home childcarers I know do the same thing. Cash only. It sucks from a parent point of view because you can't claim it for taxes, but, childcare shortage being what it is, you have to do what you have to do.

I always figured it evened out because you can't write things off against your business etc.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Aug 15th 2010 at 6:24 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:24 pm

I guess you believe that it is OK for such people to not contribute to society through the payment of taxes.
Just curious..what about babysitters i.e. 13 year olds looking after the kids for a few hours. Do you think they should declare?
Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:26 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. I have no moral or ethical problem with this kind of small scale tax evasion.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Just curious..what about babysitters i.e. 13 year olds looking after the kids for a few hours. Do you think they should declare?
Of course they should. It is unlikely that they would owe any tax at the end of each tax year and they would be building RRSP contribution room.

If for whatever reason, they are a rock star babysitter and earn enough to have to pay tax, please explain to me why they shouldn't. If they shouldn't, why should anyone?
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:05 pm

Of course they should. It is unlikely that they would owe any tax at the end of each tax year and they would be building RRSP contribution room.

If for whatever reason, they are a rock star babysitter and earn enough to have to pay tax, please explain to me why they shouldn't. If they shouldn't, why should anyone?
You are 'the man' and I claim my five pounds (expecting 13y.o. kids to declare a few dollars... really)
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are 'the man' and I claim my five pounds (expecting 13y.o. kids to declare a few dollars... really)
I didn't say I expected them to, as it is unlikely they would owe any tax, just that it would pay them to, as it would allow them to build up RRSP contribution room.

I find your attitude to tax evasion surprising.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yep. I have no moral or ethical problem with this kind of small scale tax evasion.
So at what point does it become immoral or unethical in your opinion $10,000, $100, 000, $1,000,000? Why the distinction, either it is wrong, or it isn't?
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:20 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

to clarify, this person moved here with a TWP, left their job, moved Province & has Salary paid into UK bank in order to
a. avoid paying tax
b. avoid getting caught

I haven't done anything about it but after much discussion over a few vinos yesterday, my Canadian friends were appalled & felt very strongly that this person should be 'shopped'

I was just interested to see what other expats thought, particularly when we have jumped through a gazillion hoops to emigrate legally.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:21 pm

So at what point does it become immoral or unethical in your opinion $10,000, $100, 000, $1,000,000? Why the distinction, either it is wrong, or it isn't?
I disagree.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect they are the type that believe that rich tax evaders should be locked up but that little Jimmy not paying tax on $200 earned is doing nothing wrong. Where does one draw the line - it is either criminal or it isn't, isn't it?
The line is drawn somewhere between minor and major; so Jimmy gets a slap on the wrists while the person guilty of the bigger offence gets a bigger punishment.

Isn't it an immigration offence as well?
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:37 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by louise033
if you discovered someone you knew was working here in Canada illegally?
bribe them or you dob them in!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise033
to clarify, this person moved here with a TWP, left their job, moved Province & has Salary paid into UK bank in order to
a. avoid paying tax
b. avoid getting caught

I haven't done anything about it but after much discussion over a few vinos yesterday, my Canadian friends were appalled & felt very strongly that this person should be 'shopped'

I was just interested to see what other expats thought, particularly when we have jumped through a gazillion hoops to emigrate legally.
Thought that might be the motivation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.