Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What Pop Concerts do you remember attending?

What Pop Concerts do you remember attending?

Old Mar 12th 2019, 3:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Pop Concerts do you remember attending?

Originally Posted by Shard
I've been surprised by learning on here that people see acts multiple times. I've seen a few twice, but somehow I had the idea that once you've seen a band musician play live, that's enough.
Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
...many bands evolve, metamorphose, and some others don't ...
Steely Dan 1974 very different to 1996. Even The Eagles changed a fair bit after Joe Walsh joined, not least because live they did a couple of his greats.

And as Pulaski says, in the days when the tour was promoting an album, the gig was cheap so why not go?
Old Mar 12th 2019, 3:54 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Steely Dan 1974 very different to 1996. Even The Eagles changed a fair bit after Joe Walsh joined, not least because live they did a couple of his greats.

And as Pulaski says, in the days when the tour was promoting an album, the gig was cheap so why not go?
Yes. Over time it makes sense. Cheap gigs too.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think the band I've seen most often must be the Q Tips. Paul Young was the singer, it seemed like they were the house band at the Marquee.
Agh, jealous, the one band I never got to see live, though I did see Paul Young.
Fun fact - as Cd’s became the thing, I replaced or got rid of every vinyl I had, except one, and it’s my Q-tips album, currently languishing and dusty in my closet, poor thing.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 12:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

Agh, jealous, the one band I never got to see live, though I did see Paul Young.
Fun fact - as Cd’s became the thing, I replaced or got rid of every vinyl I had, except one, and it’s my Q-tips album, currently languishing and dusty in my closet, poor thing.
I'm sure I have an original red T shirt with the Q Tips logo, probably acquired at the Marquee though we also went to other places and may have seen them at Dingwall's, Roundhouse, 100 Club, Music Machine (or whatever it was called that year), venues like that.

I can't quite remember what's wrapped in it; carburetors, horse bits, child's first tooth? Something precious but rarely needed,

Old Mar 13th 2019, 12:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of Q Tips. What song do you recommend?
Old Mar 13th 2019, 2:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know they had recorded anything, under that name, until this thread. What Becomes of the Broken Hearted was typical of their live material.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 2:56 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by dbd33
I didn't know they had recorded anything, under that name, until this thread. What Becomes of the Broken Hearted was typical of their live material.
Thanks, will check. I did like Paul Young's one big hit (back in the day). Regret that I never went to a concert at The Roundhouse, used to live very near, but I seem to recall it being out of commission for some time.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 3:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you consider "POP" concerts but I never attended any as a teenager. As an adult I have seen Chicago and the Moody Blues. I'm classical music lover and was a season subscriber to Avery Fisher Hall in Lincoln Center in New York City for years. Definitely not Pop culture.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

PETEMJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone else goto the Wheely festival in '71, T-Rex and The Faces headlined.

The weeley festival 1971

i remember sitting in a damp field for 48 hours when i was 16ish.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 4:03 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PETEMJ
Did anyone else goto the Wheely festival in '71, T-Rex and The Faces headlined.

The weeley festival 1971

i remember sitting in a damp field for 48 hours when i was 16ish.
Almost went, but got offered some extra work that weekend, difficult to turn down as an almost penniless ( ) sixteen year old.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 5:06 pm
Yo

Almost went, but got offered some extra work that weekend, difficult to turn down as an almost penniless ( ) sixteen year old.
Busy working too, had a massive Meccano construction on the go.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 2:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Knebworth Festival 1975.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.
Linda Lewis
Captain Beefheart
Steve Miller Band.

I still have the programme somewhere.

We were up quite close to the right of the stage. Captain Beefheart made a hell of a racket.

Some bloke fell in the toilet cess pit and had to be ambulanced out .
Old Mar 14th 2019, 9:27 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Knebworth Festival 1975.

Linda Lewis
Captain Beefheart
Steve Miller Band.

We were up quite close to the right of the stage. Captain Beefheart made a hell of a racket.

Didn't he (they) just?

We were next to the lighting/mixing tower and it was a pretty awful noise from there.

It weren't me in the cesspit...
Old Mar 14th 2019, 11:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

Didn't he (they) just?

We were next to the lighting/mixing tower and it was a pretty awful noise from there.

It weren't me in the cesspit...
I think I must have been there. I saw Floyd at Knebworth, I saw Captain Beefheart outdoors I saw Steve Miller somewhere. Linda Lewis though? Linda Lewis sounds like she's someone from accounting, not a pop star.

Maybe that was the year we took small cars to Knebworth, one being a Davrian. One of the Midgets got a flat tyre so, since there was a bunch of us, we wandered around until we found another Spridget with wire wheels and no flat tyre, hoicked it up and swapped the wheel. I've lost track of that crowd, I suppose they're leading lights in the Conservative party now.

Old Mar 14th 2019, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

PETEMJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
Knebworth Festival 1975.

Linda Lewis
Captain Beefheart
Steve Miller Band.

I went to a Led Zep concert at Knebworth in 78ish, we got there late and couldn't see or hear anything. Even the video screen was miniscule. Then to cap it all the train back to Waterloo broke down and we missed our connection to Reading. We slept on a bench in Waterloo station and got an early train home on the sunday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.