Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What makes you feel old?

Wikiposts

What makes you feel old?

Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:23 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes you feel old?

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
When the barber asks if you want your eyebrows trimming!

I hear you on the young police officer bit too I was out on the local road the other night and found a drunk lying in the side of the road head on the road way. I dragged him over off the road way (lucky because it was dark and anyone could have cut the corner crushed him.... second thoughts they probably wouldnt have been able too). He still didn't wake up so I called 911 I didnt want to pick him up and carry him home and be accused of mugging and god knows what else The young RCMP lady constable was a cute (OMG I am now a dirty old man) ooo about 16 year old with her hair pulled back ballerina style.

Anyway besides thinking "cute", I was thinking "damn I feel old", especially when she asked my date of birth!
Same with Doctors and so on - I still want a wrinkly old guy with white hair, those little half glasses (I know what they are called but can't spell it) and a crap bedside manner thanks very much - not some young upstart
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:58 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I was just talking to one of the young guys at work when a Wham! song came on the radio. So I've started singing and said "oh I remember the days and wearing the Choose Life t shirt!"

He looked at me and said "what was Choose Life? A film or something?"

I said "Nooooooo you plank Choose Life - Wham - Club Tropicana - you do remember Club Tropicana surely, or at least heard it"

"you know - Wham - George Michael, Andrew pretty guy, - Wham?????(obviously if I shout it the penny will drop)"

)
Have you seen Andrew Ridgeley these days? ..... makes me feel ancient

Actually I felt pretty old today when I walked into my grade 11 socials class & asked the person I assumed was a new student, where the teacher was ..... turns out he was the teacher ~ he looked about 14 to me
Attached Thumbnails What makes you feel old?-ridgeley-431%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:06 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I haven't quite reached the wrinkly stage yet but this week I feel like it's just around the next corner.

Squated down the other day and I think I blew my knee out, damn it hurts if I try to squat. Doctors at 3:00 this afternoon.
I spent Saturday squatting, sanding the deck. My thighs still hurt. Lots. It took me a while to put my boots on today.

Last time I went to the barber, the bastard trimmed some hair off my ears.

I was in a pub in Brighton a while ago and remarked to the barman that it was the first pub I'd ever been kicked out of. He asked when that was. "Long before you were born, mate".

What really makes me feel old is when I let people guess my age. They usually get it wrong, and quite badly wrong.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:18 am

On the other hand, I was made to feel young today, for some strange reason. My mum emailed me for help with her French homework. She's 86.

It's not often kids help their parents with their schoolwork.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:30 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Many things make me feel old.

Some examples are:

[[*]Catching myself when i start a sentence off with "In my day......"[/LIST]
or, " i remember when this was all fields "

seeing my 9yr old daughter now has a better grasp of maths than i have.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:42 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

What makes me feel old??

---Young men.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:46 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Same with Doctors and so on - I still want a wrinkly old guy with white hair, those little half glasses (I know what they are called but can't spell it) and a crap bedside manner thanks very much - not some young upstart
Not me.

Give me the young one that's up on all the modern stuff, not some old fart that's forgotten most of what he knew and is ready for the scrap heap.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:50 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Not me.

Give me the young one that's up on all the modern stuff, not some old fart that's forgotten most of what he knew and is ready for the scrap heap.
I sort of concur. Unless the doc is an old fart like me who knows the modern stuff and has the experience to do it properly. Unlike some of the newbies I have worked with.

Actually I haven't come across much modern medicine in Canada, specifically Ontario, my part of Ontario.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by rae
or, " i remember when this was all fields "

In southern Ontario, ten year olds will say that.

seeing my 9yr old daughter now has a better grasp of maths than i have.

It won't be all that long before she understands better than you how fast your car will really go.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:52 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

My first white hairs.
They're not even grey - but pure white and stand out a mile.

Is it true that if you pluck one another ten or so will grow?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:53 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
<sighs> i know. its the 1st boyfriend i am worried about. i want to greet him while i am punching the crap out of my speedbag, but know i must be nice, not easy.

there you go, childs first date, that must make you feel old.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:00 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
What makes me feel old??

---Young men.
I agree with you 100% - theres some really nice looking young lads in the shop here - and you have to sit there and sigh when you think the only sensible thing to say is "oh - if only I were 20 years younger"
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

theres some really nice looking young lads in the shop here - and you have to sit there and sigh when you think the only sensible thing to say is "oh - if only I were 20 years younger"
Not out loud though.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:08 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you 100% - theres some really nice looking young lads in the shop here - and you have to sit there and sigh when you think the only sensible thing to say is "oh - if only I were 20 years younger"
If YOU were 20 years young THEY would be done for Stat rape.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:10 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
<sighs> i know. its the 1st boyfriend i am worried about. i want to greet him while i am punching the crap out of my speedbag, but know i must be nice, not easy.

there you go, childs first date, that must make you feel old.
dont worry about a punching anything just sit at the table sharpening a big Bowie Knife and smile at him in a knowning way. Or you could do what I did and invite them camping, then at breakfast cut a sausage in half with a camping axe while staring at him Both my daughters and my wife rolled their eyes when I did this.... but he knew what I meant, and no teenage pregnancies in my house

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.