Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

what it was like in the UK in the fifties

what it was like in the UK in the fifties

Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what it was like in the UK in the fifties

Originally Posted by Oink
The takeaway food got a lot better.
actually the influx of immigrants did wonders for the local cuisine which I recall was rather bland
Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:37 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've no idea whether or where you lived in the UK in the 1950s, But I lived (as a child) in Newcastle then.

There was no racism that I can remember. In fact there were very few people originating from other countries at all in my recollection.

There was one Italian who, as a prisoner of war had been assigned to work on a local farm but as far as i recall that was it.

There was, even in the 1950s, a Scot or two, and IIRC a person from London.

Were you perhaps thinking of Alabama?
That is because nobody went to flippin Newcastle...why on earth would you want to go there at the time?

I lived in London mate (the center of the universe), as you well know of course

There was no Racism? Am sure there was no BNP either was there?
Old Nov 21st 2013, 10:33 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

How often would a box of Quality Street (or other choccies) be enjoyed in the 50's/60's?

It seems that now, chocolate assortments are promoted from November and regularly put out or enjoyed, although I thought in the past they were more of a special treat? There just seems to be so much chocolate available and eaten on a regular basis in modern Britain (guilty as charged, BTW!).
Old Nov 21st 2013, 11:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
How often would a box of Quality Street (or other choccies) be enjoyed in the 50's/60's?

It seems that now, chocolate assortments are promoted from November and regularly put out or enjoyed, although I thought in the past they were more of a special treat? There just seems to be so much chocolate available and eaten on a regular basis in modern Britain (guilty as charged, BTW!).
In my family in the 50's, we only got a box of Roses to share at Christmas (together with chocolate coins, a satsuma and a sugar mouse in our stockings). My Mum would get a box of Black Magic for Mothers Day.

Old Nov 21st 2013, 11:40 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
In my family in the 50's, we only got a box of Roses to share at Christmas (together with chocolate coins, a satsuma and a sugar mouse in our stockings). My Mum would get a box of Black Magic for Mothers Day.

That honestly seems so much better than than the over consumption we have now.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 11:54 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That honestly seems so much better than than the over consumption we have now.
The culprit? Valentines day...gym subscriptions go up this time of the year, but by February, people start to drop off (not the weight) like flies from the gym, and by Spring /Summer...more stuffing of the face, with lesser exercise/activities

The commercials for Valentines, are one-sided as you know....."get her this and that" "for the one that means the world to you.....buy her this"
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 1:51 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner

There was no Racism? Am sure there was no BNP either.
Well, no. The BNP was first formed in 1960.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:54 am
Banned

Well, no. The BNP was first formed in 1960.
Officially....doesn't mean there wasn't an underground unit
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 3:14 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I've no idea whether or where you lived in the UK in the 1950s, But I lived (as a child) in Newcastle then.

There was no racism that I can remember. In fact there were very few people originating from other countries at all in my recollection.

There was one Italian who, as a prisoner of war had been assigned to work on a local farm but as far as i recall that was it.

There was, even in the 1950s, a Scot or two, and IIRC a person from London.

Were you perhaps thinking of Alabama?
That reminds me of a story my mum told me. She came from the north of Scotland. A trusty German POW was allowed out to do farming work. He never went home after the war and became a pillar of local society.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 3:22 am
Banned

^ Ah...you're talking about Wolfgang Puck
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 3:37 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
^ Ah...you're talking about Wolfgang Puck
I believe that he called Peter.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 3:42 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
That reminds me of a story my mum told me. She came from the north of Scotland. A trusty German POW was allowed out to do farming work. He never went home after the war and became a pillar of local society.
The Italian stayed on too. The reason I know this is that the local farm in question was owned by my grandfather (and later by my father).
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 3:53 am
Slob

The Italian stayed on too. The reason I know this is that the local farm in question was owned by my grandfather (and later by my father).
I imagine that it happened quite a lot. Most of the POWs were probably very decent blokes, conscripted into the forces to do things they didn't agree with. Why would they want to go "home", particularly if "home" had been leveled and they had no family to go back to?
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:13 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I imagine that it happened quite a lot. Most of the POWs were probably very decent blokes, conscripted into the forces to do things they didn't agree with. Why would they want to go "home", particularly if "home" had been leveled and they had no family to go back to?
It did. Several of them stayed to work in the brickworks near Bedford and they were joined by several hundred workers recruited from southern Italy. There were also displaced persons from eastern Europe working there.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:17 am
me/moi

Elton has just been on CNN and remarked that the 50's was a dreadful time to be gay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.