Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What is a good salary in Toronto?

What is a good salary in Toronto?

Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

shoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really nice
Default Re: What is a good salary in Toronto?

Originally Posted by iaink
Its easy to think that converting it all into pounds from dollars, but once your income is in dollars that mirage evaporates.

I agree about leisure activities for kids and a few other things, but we had the opposite impression visiting the UK. I couldn't believe how many supermarket items were 29p, having got used to practically nothing being much less than a buck here.

The site I linked to earlier had the UK at ~20% more expensive overall than Canada, and thats probably as good a starting point as any given the wide range of lifestyle varaibles that are going to affect things here.

The OP mentionsed internation travel as a choice, thats undeniably going to be far more expensive from here, unless driving to the up state NY counts.
I feel really unwanted now .....
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shoequeen
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as shouty!
Lifestyle wise - hubby working, me occasional part-time, two cars, no kids, monthly shopping trips, extensive travel abroad, good nights out [theatre, meals etc about twice a month]
You can forget the extensive travel abroad because hubby likely won't have much vacation time, likewise unless you enjoy going to the same tedious musical extravaganza several times, bi-monthly theatre trips are going to be tricky.
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bit of silliness though, if theatre and foreign travel were really important, then Toronto would be an unlikely choice of destination. You can't recreate exactly the lifestyle you have in one city after moving to another.
Forum Regular

shoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really nice

Im sorry, i thought you wanted precise. I was hoping to put an stop to this dreadful dead end of a thread.
If you can't stand the heat .....
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

It must be catching! LOL
It is getting really expensive here, yes. I can't believe how cheap it is to shop in Canada - I seem to be able to get twice as much for my money. That seems to upset some people though - sorry!
Grocery everyday shop, or designer label / new TV / touristy night out shop?

One off purchases, touristy meals and the like are cheaper, its the week in week out actually living here stuff that kills you.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't stand the heat .....
Were trying to help you here, but you are not throwing us much, and you dont like our answers....
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Im sorry, i thought you wanted precise. I was hoping to put an stop to this dreadful dead end of a thread.
I wonder why people end up being mean about threads...if you think it's dreadful just ignore it. There's no need to be rude.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:14 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
I totally agree, food costs in the uk have gone up 7.1%, canada gone up 1.2%! I think that people who have been away from the uk for a while don't realise how much everyone has gone up. The other is the cost of recreational stuff over here is ridiculous, i have 3 young kids and to take them to play for one hour at a fun barn is a tenner- nevermind the fruitshoots etc etc!! I know for a fact when i was over in canada i was pleasantly shocked how cheap it was to do stuff, which for us is a large chunk of our money!! Sorry i think i've gone into rant rave mood aswell!!
I suspect that you'll find that's not the case when you're living here full-time. It's difficult to compare costs when you're visiting, as you don't have the base-line expenditures that residents do.

Sure, some recreational activities are cheaper in Canada - but some other costs are significantly higher. I've been here since mid-2006, having come over on a company transfer with a salary that was pretty much converted at market rates at the time. Other things are not exactly equal (we have one extra child and one fewer salary in the household since we moved) but my experience is broadly that the cost of living is about the same.

Specific differences that spring to mind: Insurance, dairy products, books and magazines are more expensive in Canada. Fuel (gasoline, natural gas and electricity) are significantly cheaper. Per square foot, housing costs are cheaper (both purchase price and municipal taxes) but many Brits buy bigger properties here so that cancels out.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I feel really unwanted now .....
Sorry, my typing sucked even more than usual on that reply

Why? Its true, "international" is a looong way from anywhere in Canada, there are no £50 Ryan air flights here. Novo makes a good point about vacation allowance too by the way...If you are used to the EU, Canadas idea of fair holidays is a bit of a shock.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucieg
I wonder why people end up being mean about threads...if you think it's dreadful just ignore it. There's no need to be rude.
I agree. But several folk including iain have tried to helpful to the OP, but she refuses to recognize that's she's just asking how long is a piece of string.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Grocery everyday shop, or designer label / new TV / touristy night out shop?

One off purchases, touristy meals and the like are cheaper, its the week in week out actually living here stuff that kills you.
That's what I am trying to find out ..... how much would we need to earn to survive? What is the average grocery bill for instance? I already know about things like petrol. clothes [of course!] and nights out.
Ok, so if someone was a VP for instance, what would be an acceptable salary?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by lucieg
Sorry, take two of these, you seem to be suffering from an Irony deficiency

Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I am trying to find out ..... how much would we need to earn to survive? What is the average grocery bill for instance? I already know about things like petrol. clothes [of course!] and nights out.
Ok, so if someone was a VP for instance, what would be an acceptable salary?
VPs of computing in a small insurance company fifty miles or so west of Toronto make about $140,000. SVPs $170,000. I don't think they get bonuses but they have excellent benefits including three weeks annual vacation.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, my typing sucked even more than usual on that reply

Why? Its true, "international" is a looong way from anywhere in Canada, there are no £50 Ryan air flights here. Novo makes a good point about vacation allowance too by the way...If you are used to the EU, Canadas idea of fair holidays is a bit of a shock.
But you've got New York, Chicago, Washington DC, all within an hour or so's flight time! Getting to Vancouver takes 4 hours or so. I suppose it's all relative, as we have Europe to explore, but at the end of the day what's around us gets boring, but still exciting to other people. To us, "international" is anywhere in North America!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Its easy to think that converting it all into pounds from dollars, but once your income is in dollars that mirage evaporates.

I agree about leisure activities for kids and a few other things, but we had the opposite impression visiting the UK. I couldn't believe how many supermarket items were 29p, having got used to practically nothing being much less than a buck here.

The site I linked to earlier had the UK at ~20% more expensive overall than Canada, and that's probably as good a starting point as any given the wide range of lifestyle variables that are going to affect things here.

The OP mentioned international travel as a choice, that's undeniably going to be far more expensive from here, unless driving to the up state NY counts.
Ha, with three kids in tow international hols maybe mean venturing into the usa side of niagra falls!!!
All this talk is stessing me that we won't be able to afford to live there at all!
We are by no means rich here, but have a feeling that my OH will be on less salary over there. Gonna have to get ebay rich!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.