what was going on?

Old Sep 26th 2009, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what was going on?

What would you guess was going on in this situation?

A group of about 20 people were gathered outside a hospital one sunny afternoon/evening. In the group were men, women, children, and teenagers. They weren't too well dressed and some seemed ehem rather rednecky. They didn't seem to have any organisation and were just milling about, apparently aimlessly. Some were smoking! A couple of the children held a banner with some wording on it.

What would you have thought was going on? Would you have walked through the group? avoided them? gone over to ask what was happening?

I'm curious you see, to know what your reactions would be and if they would be any different if you lived in the UK or in Canada, or town or country.

I'll tell you why they were there later, once we have a few guesses.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 6:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what was going on?

Originally Posted by fledermaus

A group of about 20 people were gathered outside a hospital one sunny afternoon/evening. In the group were men, women, children, and teenagers. They weren't too well dressed and some seemed ehem rather rednecky. They didn't seem to have any organisation and were just milling about, apparently aimlessly. Some were smoking! A couple of the children held a banner with some wording on it.

What would you have thought was going on? Would you have walked through the group? avoided them? gone over to ask what was happening?

I'm curious you see, to know what your reactions would be and if they would be any different if you lived in the UK or in Canada, or town or country.

There's such a crowd outside the hospital where my daughter works every welfare day. The patients unplug their ivs, buy street drugs and pump them straight in. This seems to involve a large and unlikely crowd of dealers and hangers-on.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 6:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if it was in Alberta (you did say rednecky) they would likely be protesting health care cutbacks.

I might have gone over and joined them.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

Ontario, so we are talking rural dwellers. No banjo's were spotted but ZZ Top beards are very popular in this area. Soap doesn't always feature. Alcohol and other intoxicants do.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:31 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I think I would have observed from a distance to see what was written on the placards to see whether or not it would be safe to approach!

from the way its described in England you would think it was a demonstration about something - in Canada it was more than likely a welcome out of hospital for a new mum and baby
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
in Canada it was more than likely a welcome out of hospital for a new mum and baby
Do you really think so in light of the recent announcements regarding Alberta Health.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...ch-office.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...nt-letter.html
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:14 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Do you really think so in light of the recent announcements regarding Alberta Health.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...ch-office.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...nt-letter.html
I think we are guilty of presuming its some kind of protest though - it may well not be!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Small town Ontario? Obviously the relatives of some minor league hockey player waiting to see if he'd emerge from the latest concussion unimpaired.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

I am waiting for more guesses before I reveal the truth..

Are you excited?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am waiting for more guesses before I reveal the truth..

Are you excited?
I feel as excited as a real Marvin.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:02 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Were they homeless and the placards said "will work for food?"
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Were they homeless and the placards said "will work for food?"
I can't tell you that. I didnt see the banner immediately, so neither can you
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I feel as excited as a real Marvin.
Don't spill any WD40

This is an interesting sociological/anthropological thingy. Isn't it.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd second a welcoming committee of some type. Maybe someone had used their hunting rifle to protect their house from marauding banjo thieves, were accidentally shot by police in ensuing fracas, and now they are getting out of hospital?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the Bible Belt of Canada I would have expected it to be either an anti abortion rally/ right to life or like Steve P says something to do with health cutbacks?????

I would have gone round them rather than through them to get in.

Mrs M x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.