Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What do you miss from where you came from?

What do you miss from where you came from?

Old Dec 5th 2016, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss from where you came from?

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
What, better than the smell of Chilliwack?
Ocean = fresh salty smell.

Chilliwack kind of stinks part of the year, like a toilet.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 11:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Well thats a weird combination!

Having just gone round a lot of places looking for a vaguely decent Christmas card for Snoop, I failed... No, I didnt, the shops did. Canadian cards are simply dreadful- the sort of cards you would have seen in the UK in the 70s -sooo old fashioned, schmaltzy and making.
British cards from WHSmith...that is what I miss! Funny cards, genuinely funny not Canadian "funny", cards which have an edge to the humour sometimes

Or is it just me?
That sounds awful. I still feel ill from our shopping exclusion yesterday afternoon. I was okay in the Apple store and EB Games but then we went into The Bay, it makes Dante's Inferno seem like a Pontins Holiday camp. I was nearly physically sick. At least in American malls there is usually an abundance of bars and restaurants to take sanctuary in. Not in Canada it seems.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 11:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I deliberately didn't mention "decent" or "proper" tea in my list as I suspected it might lead to controversy .
While wee tslking of proper and decent things. Ham I'd like some non slimey non sweet non smoked ham.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 11:41 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
One of my fave 'location smells' funnily enough is the Paris Metro. It has a certain Je ne c'est quoi.
Is that not piss?
Old Dec 5th 2016, 11:43 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Ocean = fresh salty smell.

Chilliwack kind of stinks part of the year, like a toilet.
Nowt wrong with the pong of sewage works and cow pats lad
Old Dec 6th 2016, 3:34 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

One of my fave 'location smells' funnily enough is the Paris Metro. It has a certain Je ne c'est quoi.
Is it not a similar aroma to the London Underground?
Old Dec 6th 2016, 8:28 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Is it not a similar aroma to the London Underground?
Very different. I think it's the rubber in the metro trains wheels that provide the aroma.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Especially that Yorkshire Tea

http://i65.tinypic.com/30c38eu.jpg
I've drunk the stuff only once - Canadian friend who thought I might be homesick gave me some for Christmas once. Which was a sweet thought. It wasn't great . Lewis & Cooper's own blends for me. Sainsbury's own label at a pinch . Loose leaf, of course

Originally Posted by bats
While wee tslking of proper and decent things. Ham I'd like some non slimey non sweet non smoked ham.
Oh yes!! Or gammon.

Very different. I think it's the rubber in the metro trains wheels that provide the aroma.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 9:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I think 3 locals. All dreadful. We leave the radio on for Derek the budgie to sing along to and they just play the same damn 10 records again and again. At work the girls have Sirrius 80s and 90s music on in the background....what's that about? As with most other things in Canada, everything is so damned retro

Why can't you get Stotties anymore bats? Because you don't travel to the North East when you go?
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
In Squamish it sometimes felt like I was in the 90's early 00's as they played that era over and over with maybe one or 2 current songs each hour.

The local stations here only slightly better.

Suppose traditional radio is a dying breed though.
You two should consider yourselves lucky it's not Australian commercial radio. It's all Jimmy Barnes and AC/DC all the time! Yay
It is a bit too much hassle to set up for the budgie...or indeed the girls in the office for that matter
Both Derek and the girls lack discrimination and seem very content- it is I suppose me being the picky one
Hire me. I'm very discriminating. (Actually I'm not. I don't discriminate - I hate everyone equally)
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Well thats a weird combination!

Having just gone round a lot of places looking for a vaguely decent Christmas card for Snoop, I failed... No, I didnt, the shops did. Canadian cards are simply dreadful- the sort of cards you would have seen in the UK in the 70s -sooo old fashioned, schmaltzy and making.
British cards from WHSmith...that is what I miss! Funny cards, genuinely funny not Canadian "funny", cards which have an edge to the humour sometimes

Or is it just me?
It's not just you. I was looking for a couple of cards (one for condolences, the other just to say "thinking of you") the other day WITH NO TEXT. They are almost non-existent, & the ones I found were abysmal .
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
It's not just you. I was looking for a couple of cards (one for condolences, the other just to say "thinking of you") the other day WITH NO TEXT. They are almost non-existent, & the ones I found were abysmal .
Has anyone thought that maybe Canadians don't do cards like the Brits hence the alleged abysmal selection.
Perhaps Canadians actually do something with whatever the occasion is as opposed to sending a poxy card.

Oh such and such died I will send a card as Im a Brit.

Oh such and such died I will go round or phone them to give them condolences.

See the difference.

Oh and don't bother sending me a card saying you disapprove of my comment
Old Dec 6th 2016, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Has anyone thought that maybe Canadians don't do cards like the Brits hence the alleged abysmal selection.
Perhaps Canadians actually do something with whatever the occasion is as opposed to sending a poxy card.

Oh such and such died I will send a card as Im a Brit.

Oh such and such died I will go round or phone them to give them condolences.

See the difference.

Oh and don't bother sending me a card saying you disapprove of my comment
In this particular case, a ~12k round trip isn't particularly practical to give condolences in person. A phone call was made, the card is in addition.

To each their own, I suppose. :Shrug:.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I came here in 1966 from Glasgow. Why would I miss anything from that era or from that place. I've been back many times over the years and never once regretted leaving it. I've been all over the world and never have found a city more dreich, damp and grey and populated by people using a language with which I am most unfamiliar.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 1:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Save the trees, no cards accepted without money enclosed.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 1:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You two should consider yourselves lucky it's not Australian commercial radio. It's all Jimmy Barnes and AC/DC all the time!

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Has anyone thought that maybe Canadians don't do cards like the Brits
I thought Canadians believed in supporting Canadian institutions like Canada Post.

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I came here in 1966 from Glasgow. Why would I miss anything from that era or from that place...
Ah, so you emigrated to avoid the celebrations
And then missed The Lisbon Lions the year after.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.