Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What is the definition of an internet troll?

What is the definition of an internet troll?

Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:49 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the definition of an internet troll?

Originally Posted by montreal mike

That is why we need vigilant moderators who catch and stop this sort of no
We cant be here all the time, thats why we need vigilant posters to report stuff for us to look into and take appropriate action.

It takes time and effort to check posters IP addresses, email, etc etc to determine whos been here before in another guise, sometimes we a suspicous and check, othertimes we need a point in the right direction. The vast majority of posters here are thankfully good sports and on the level anyway.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:50 am
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

So you wanna be a troll do ya

ok this is what I would expect a troll manual to look like.
Start the troll in a reasonable and erudite manner. You have to engage your readers' interest and draw them in.

Do not go for the big fishes straight away, go for the tiddlers who will bite easily, then when you are established cast a big bait to one of the big fishes.

Never give too much away at the start - although a brief abstract with hints of what's to come can work wonders.

Construct your troll in a manner to make it readable. Use short paragraphs and lots of white space. Keep line length below eighty characters. Use a liberal amount of emphasis and even the occasional illustration.

A good rule of thumb is that as your troll becomes more and more ludicrous put extra effort into the presentation - this keeps the mug punter confused. Let confusion and chaos be your goal.

Thats what I guess a troll manual would say, I pesonally dislike them but While they may sound like a stupid, uninformed, ignorant poster, do not be deceived! Most trolls are highly intelligent people trying to hide behind a mask of stupidity and/or ignorance! They usually have an agenda.

Last edited by london52; Mar 27th 2009 at 2:14 am.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
A troll is nothing but a nasty low life sh*t disturber who gets his jollies trying to create chaos. It is not a person who is a little mischievous or cheeky or different.

Some trolls are quite cunning and can remain undetected for a while.

I recall on a board some 10 years back, now defunct, where this person was able to change names by acquiring multiple cyber identities, thus appearing and reappearing over and over again.

Also, some trolls using different names will start threads and be able to agree with or disagree with themselves. However other genuine posters would not see the difference.

Worse still one I recall was able to cleverly impersonate others by registering under a similar name. For example 'montreal mike' might appear as 'montreal mike.' which is tiny variation on the original name, but again most posters would not even notice.

That is why we need vigilant moderators who catch and stop this sort of nonsense before it escalates.
Just spent 10 mins searching for the tiny variation, its the . isn`t it ???
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:53 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
Exactly, so maybe it's our turn now!! I complained about a certain person and you basically told me to stop being stupid. And now we are not allowed to have a bit of non offensive fun on here? WTH??
I have told you before about the ignore list, and to report offensive posts for action. The mods are not going to sit back and allow vigialante action and endless petty needling to go on, it gets very tiresome after a while.

I suggest any further discusion be done in private.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
We cant be here all the time, thats why we need vigilant posters to report stuff for us to look into and take appropriate action.

It takes time and effort to check posters IP addresses, email, etc etc to determine whos been here before in another guise, sometimes we a suspicous and check, othertimes we need a point in the right direction. The vast majority of posters here are thankfully good sports and on the level anyway.
So basicly its the blind leading the blind
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:59 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Get a grip people, this is NOT real life you know.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Danny B
Amen to that!!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:05 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Tell that to my inbox!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Tell that to my inbox!

Put your inbox on the ignore list then
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:37 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
Exactly, so maybe it's our turn now!! I complained about a certain person and you basically told me to stop being stupid. And now we are not allowed to have a bit of non offensive fun on here? WTH??

What you and Pammy are doing is not non-offensive fun. It is mean-spirited and quite offensive.

Wise up ladies.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:40 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

I suggest any further discusion be done in private.
Originally Posted by Rete
What you and Pammy are doing is not non-offensive fun. It is mean-spirited and quite offensive.

Wise up ladies.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 3:09 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I don't find anything offensive - but then again I can't see any of it Suggest things just get left alone hey that would probably be for the best
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I don't find anything offensive - but then again I can't see any of it Suggest things just get left alone hey that would probably be for the best
I agree and not dragged into other areas of the forum.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Just spent 10 mins searching for the tiny variation, its the . isn`t it ???
Yes it is the period after the word mike

hard to spot but great for a malicious impersonator
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:30 pm
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Now you tell me.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.