Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What is the definition of an internet troll?

What is the definition of an internet troll?

Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What is the definition of an internet troll?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You're welcome. But think of it more as a sneer of derision.
Hey, just trolling
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

A troll is nothing but a nasty low life sh*t disturber who gets his jollies trying to create chaos. It is not a person who is a little mischievous or cheeky or different.

Some trolls are quite cunning and can remain undetected for a while.

I recall on a board some 10 years back, now defunct, where this person was able to change names by acquiring multiple cyber identities, thus appearing and reappearing over and over again.

Also, some trolls using different names will start threads and be able to agree with or disagree with themselves. However other genuine posters would not see the difference.

Worse still one I recall was able to cleverly impersonate others by registering under a similar name. For example 'montreal mike' might appear as 'montreal mike.' which is tiny variation on the original name, but again most posters would not even notice.

That is why we need vigilant moderators who catch and stop this sort of nonsense before it escalates.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by montreal mike
A troll is nothing but a nasty low life sh*t disturber who gets his jollies trying to create chaos. It is not a person who is a little mischievous or cheeky or different.

Some trolls are quite cunning and can remain undetected for a while.

I recall on a board some 10 years back, now defunct, where this person was able to change names by acquiring multiple cyber identities, thus appearing and reappearing over and over again.

Also, some trolls using different names will start threads and be able to agree with or disagree with themselves. However other genuine posters would not see the difference.

Worse still one I recall was able to cleverly impersonate others by registering under a similar name. For example 'montreal mike' might appear as 'montreal mike.' which is tiny variation on the original name, but again most posters would not even notice.

That is why we need vigilant moderators who catch and stop this sort of nonsense before it escalates.
Interesting, very interesting mike.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:06 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Troller is looking for a response...ANY response, and he will chum the waters with complaints, insults, compliments, and inflammatory tidbits hoping that someone...ANYONE, will take the bait. Generally quite harmless - practices a form of catch and release. Nonetheless, he can upset the delicate ecology of a discussion forum. Once a forum becomes aware of his presence, however, all feeding activity ceases and Troller must move on to more promising waters.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danny B
http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/Assets/troller.jpg

Troller is looking for a response...ANY response, and he will chum the waters with complaints, insults, compliments, and inflammatory tidbits hoping that someone...ANYONE, will take the bait. Generally quite harmless - practices a form of catch and release. Nonetheless, he can upset the delicate ecology of a discussion forum. Once a forum becomes aware of his presence, however, all feeding activity ceases and Troller must move on to more promising waters.
Now that's what I'm talking about!!!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:04 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/Assets/troller.jpg

like it
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
lol thanks MrP, time has gone so quickly hey!

Back to the original gist of the thread - I think the best thing about internet trolls is that everybody at some stage gets completely fed up with them and they end up fading away (as soooooo many have on here) into the oblivion from wence they came - which can only be a good thing theres only so long i can sit and yawn at the pc
Still here
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pammy
Still here
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
lol thanks MrP, time has gone so quickly hey!

Back to the original gist of the thread - I think the best thing about internet trolls is that everybody at some stage gets completely fed up with them and they end up fading away (as soooooo many have on here) into the oblivion from wence they came - which can only be a good thing theres only so long i can sit and yawn at the pc
They only fade away as people put them on their ignore lists. They are still really here though!!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by act1980
They only fade away as people put them on their ignore lists. They are still really here though!!
I know, so how will they ever know if or not they leave
Be safe, live in a bubble
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Exactly!! Ignorance is bliss I guess
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:39 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Still here
Actually, they can also be banned, temporarily or permanently, and I for one am getting pretty fed up with the behaviour of more than a couple of posters here and the number of complaints I am receiving as a result of their actions

Do I have to spell it out
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Actually, they can also be banned, temporarily or permanently, and I for one am getting pretty fed up with the behaviour of more than a couple of posters here and the number of complaints I am receiving as a result of their actions

Do I have to spell it out

I can think of quite a few names I am getting p'eed off with....
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I can think of quite a few names I am getting p'eed off with....
Maybe what goes around comes around.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Maybe what goes around comes around.
Exactly, so maybe it's our turn now!! I complained about a certain person and you basically told me to stop being stupid. And now we are not allowed to have a bit of non offensive fun on here? WTH??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.