Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What is the definition of an internet troll?

What is the definition of an internet troll?

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the definition of an internet troll?

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion (courtesy of WIKI obviously)

Am I alone in thinking that there may be some kind of dark force acting in stealth mode, one who doesn't quite fit into the criteria above but whom no less provokes the response
Ya know, I almost went with the user name Master Vader but I couldn't find a suitable avatar.

Seriously though, I am not a troll Mrs. Steak. I have posted opinions regarding immigration and it's affects on my country under the "What is wrong with Canada" thread and the "Canada needs to get tough on immigrants who want citizenship thread", neither of which I started and which had primarily to do with immigrants adapting to life in Canada and Canada's flaws. You may disagree with my opinions, but I think some here can relate to my opinions and TBO I think many Canadians do as well, such as the minister of immigration for example.

I do not get involved in threads that I don't have an opinion on and I think that as you get to know me your opinion of me will change. After all, what is the harm in having a Canadian participating in an immigrating to Canada form? I am sure you would appreciate the diversity.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Mar 23rd 2009 at 1:39 pm. Reason: to add more words
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:12 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Ya know, I almost went with the user name Master Vader but I couldn't find a suitable avatar.

Seriously though, I am not a troll Mrs. Steak. I have posted opinions regarding immigration and it's affects on my country under the "What is wrong with Canada" thread and the "Canada needs to get tough on immigrants who want citizenship thread", neither of which I started and which had primarily to do with immigrants adapting to life in Canada and Canada's flaws. You may disagree with my opinions, but I think some here can relate to my opinions and TBO I think many Canadians do as well, such as the minister of immigration for example.

I do not get involved in threads that I don't have an opinion on and I think that as you get to know me your opinion of me will change. After all, what is the harm in having a Canadian participating in an immigrating to Canada form? I am sure you would appreciate the diversity.
Where the hell did that come from

ummmmmm was I calling you a troll Your opinions on varying topics are your own - but you put them across eloquently and with reason behind them. If others disagree as some are bound to then I have seen them post like reasoned responses. Nothing wrong with that as far as I can see

I think you miss the point of the original thread
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Where the hell did that come from

ummmmmm was I calling you a troll Your opinions on varying topics are your own - but you put them across eloquently and with reason behind them. If others disagree as some are bound to then I have seen them post like reasoned responses. Nothing wrong with that as far as I can see

I think you miss the point of the original thread
My missteak, I am partial to the "dark force" you mention in your post, but thx for understanding just the same.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Mar 23rd 2009 at 2:28 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I confess that I have, from time to time, slightly distorted or exaggerated my opinions in order to provoke a reaction. I don't suppose anyone guessed that.
Coffee/keyboard.

You????? Exagerate??????

Never would have guessed.

Last edited by Steve_P; Mar 23rd 2009 at 4:12 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't say things just to annoy people. I just disagree with things that people say - sometimes. If what I say annoys people, then its too bad. I am not going to say things I don't believe. I thought a troll said things that they did not believe - just to stir things up.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

This thread might just turn out to be quite interesting

So glad to see ol' Butch not include me in his list.....I went through a phase not so long ago in finding enjoyment pishing the Canada forum folk off...never enough to get myself a real reputuation though
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:18 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion (courtesy of WIKI obviously)
Originally Posted by Purley
I don't say things just to annoy people. I just disagree with things that people say - sometimes. If what I say annoys people, then its too bad. I am not going to say things I don't believe. I thought a troll said things that they did not believe - just to stir things up.

I realise that many would disagree with me but IMHO much of what you (and many others INCLUDING MYSELF) post EASILY and OFTEN can be classified as the underlined.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:32 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Hey this thread wasn't started to name and shame anyone - was just my opinion on the quality of topics of late thats all.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:33 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey this thread wasn't started to name and shame anyone - was just my opinion on the quality of topics of late thats all.
My apologies for posting 'my list'

However it was NOT meant as a name and shame merely demonstrating how IMO the wiki definition can be interpreted to lead one to think that 'serious and intelligent' posters (dbd) can be classified as trolls along with those of us who post (mainly) inane crap (Butch and others who wont be named due to their thin skin)

Last edited by Butch Cassidy; Mar 23rd 2009 at 4:37 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Da-Daaaaaah!!! I sussed it out - yup MMC...I agree with you on that one...what a strange one indeed
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:34 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I confess that I have, from time to time, slightly distorted or exaggerated my opinions in order to provoke a reaction. I don't suppose anyone guessed that.

Leaving that aside, next week the OH is taking a course in Bolton. In have to work downtown sometime, passing Bolton on the way, so we wondered if we might be able to make some sort of trip to a pub out of this. What say you?
Fantastic idea, the in laws are visiting at the moment so sitters are not a problem.

Time and place?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple80
Fantastic idea, the in laws are visiting at the moment so sitters are not a problem.

Time and place?
What's the pub at the bottom of the hill like? The Black Bull. Tuesday or Wednesday would work.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 24th 2009 at 12:01 am.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:42 am
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
My apologies for posting 'my list'

However it was NOT meant as a name and shame merely demonstrating how IMO the wiki definition can be interpreted to lead one to think that 'serious and intelligent' posters (dbd) can be classified as trolls along with those of us who post (mainly) inane crap (Butch and others who wont be named due to their thin skin)
yup i agree!!!! I suppose its a case of you can pull a quote or definition from anywhere and make it fit at least one person or circumstance!!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I did read the Wiki definition but I had always thought that a troll was something else. Years ago I posted on a board - havent been there for years - and there was one person who kept changing names and who came on the board just to be rude about other people and start a big fight and insisting that they were not the same person as the previous person who started fights. At the time others referred to that person as a troll, so I thought that was the definition of troll.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Your right Purley: a troll isn't someone you merely disagree with, and who keeps posting their "wrong" opinions on the net, it's someone who deliberately incites others, and who just riles up the members.

I'm a moderator on a motorcycle site: I've banned a few and limited access to others. That's very rare. Most people just want to have their own opinion heard. Many have great things to add, especially from a tech and riding perspective. Sometimes opinions differ, and that's OK. In fact without differing opinions we'd never learn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.