Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What crimes have you witnessed/been affected by

What crimes have you witnessed/been affected by

Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:17 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What crimes have you witnessed/been affected by

Birmingham 1989 - Then boyfriends car stolen while we were out for dinner, parked around the corner from the restuarant.

Edinburgh 1991 - My car stolen from outside my house, found in Wester Hailes torched and with a shopping trolley on it's roof.

Edinburgh 1992 - My car stereo stolen.

Luxor, Egypt 1993 - Got in a taxi with a friend, driver was "angry" because we were young(ish mid 20's) and had enough money to stay in the Sheraton on the Nile when "his" country was poor, locked the doors and took us on a nasty trip through all the bad neighbourhoods where people were cooking and eating a donkey on the street and kept yelling that we would never see the light of day again, no one would know where we'd gone - SCARIEST day of my life - through sheer terror I turned into a vicious animal, leaping into the front seat beside him staring him straight in the eyes while I did so - No idea who that person was! and by some miracle another cab driver stopped and made us get into his taxi - could have been in the frying pan into the fire but we had to take the chance - he took us back to the hotel where I sank about 6 G&T's one after another - never felt fear like that in my life.

Ottawa 2007 - Break and enter to a neighbours house across the street. I called the police who came by over 2 hours later.........................

Ottawa 2008 - 4 of my winter tyres stolen from outside my garage door, only went inside to get something.

Various fights outside pubs/clubs in Edinburgh over the years.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I had my fender shot in Texas. I had no idea of the tradition but when I returned the rental car with the bullet hole they laughed at me, "y'all cut someone off?"
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

I witnessed a crime this season when Chelsea stole the Champions League spot from Spurs. One or two people in that team up on trial later this summer for that ... Or other stuff.

In other news, we were burgled in London and had our car broken into; various things stolen; saw some muggings on the train in London too, one or two fairly nasty ones too. Only crime I've witnessed here is Harper's victory last May ... Whoops another poor gag.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:27 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
I witnessed a crime this season when Chelsea stole the Champions League spot from Spurs. One or two people in that team up on trial later this summer for that ... Or other stuff.

In other news, we were burgled in London and had our car broken into; various things stolen; saw some muggings on the train in London too, one or two fairly nasty ones too. Only crime I've witnessed here is Harper's victory last May ... Whoops another poor gag.
and surely the election of Ford
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:28 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

+1
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:33 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
+1
Jealously can be sooooo ugly

I grew up in NI, nothing you lot have witnessed beats that....

Bloody amateurs
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:59 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Yes, this is not going to be the cheeriest of threads, but I'm interested to see actual real figures from people around this country, and that of expats that have been in Canada for a while.

I'm talking about things that have actually happened to you, or you have been directly affected by.

This could be a long list, lol...

Glasgow - 1978 - bank job car chase up our street. Half the cars get smashed into as we watched in shock (and excitement, lol, we were kids)

Glasgow - 1979 - My brand new bike was stolen from the Scout hall I was attending

Glashow - 1979 - My replacement bike was stolen when I was at the school sports day

Glasgow - 1880 - Mugged when I was 12, by two scumbags, stole my stereo, broke my thumb (didn't want to let go, lol) -

Glasgow - 1981 - Friends face bashed in with baseball bat by the "Tory Toi" gang for no reason. We were playing on home made go-carts

Aviemore - 1987 - Local bully had his throat cut outside chip shop. I was among 30 witnesses. He died on way to hospital. Killer was the chef who lived two doors from me

Glasgow - 1988 - My car was broken into outside my house. Window smashed, stereo stolen

Glasgow - 1998 - Woke up at 3am to sound of woman screaming outside. Called police. Next day we hear she had been raped 100 yards from our house

Glasgow - 1999 - Friends car get broken into outside our house

Glasgow - 2002 - My Shogun is broken into outside our house, all my tools stolen

Glasgow - 2003 - Ailsa's MX5 gets roof slashed and stereo stolen

Glasgow - 2004 - Man gets beaten with baseball bat as he leaves local pub... by the landlord... at 12 noon, with kids watching. I was going to the post office at the time.

London (Slough) - 2009 - Friends parked car gets smashed into by joy riders when we are buying a car. Police not interested

Glasgow - 2010 - Ailsa's Subaru gets keyed outside our house

Glasgow - 2010 - My RangeRover gets keyed outside our house

Glasgow - 2011 - Junky neighbour sets fire to his shed, which spreads to all the neighbours fences

This year has been fairly quiet so far, lol. Just the usual scumbags dumping trucks of garbage in the park where I walk my dog, and the odd junky stealing stuff from Tesco.

Wow, It's only when you sit down and type this all out that you realise all the nasty stuff you've seen
Please don't move to anywhere near me when you come to Canada. No offence meant, it's just that you and crime always seem to be in the same vicinity.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Please don't move to anywhere near me when you come to Canada. No offence meant, it's just that you and crime always seem to be in the same vicinity.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 7:49 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
LOL.

To be fair, that only averages out at about 1 crime every 2 years, and only ONE murder, so not too bad.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 7:56 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.. Had to think about this one. I've seen a couple bar fights (assault?), Pretty sure I saw a call girl meet up at a local Starbucks. Otherwise nothing comes to mind. If you don't count me trying to buy beer when I was 17
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, this is not going to be the cheeriest of threads, but I'm interested to see actual real figures from people around this country, and that of expats that have been in Canada for a while.

I'm talking about things that have actually happened to you, or you have been directly affected by.

Glasgow - 1978 - bank job car chase up our street. Half the cars get smashed into as we watched in shock (and excitement, lol, we were kids)

Glasgow - 1979 - My brand new bike was stolen from the Scout hall I was attending

Glashow - 1979 - My replacement bike was stolen when I was at the school sports day

Glasgow - 1880 - Mugged when I was 12, by two scumbags, stole my stereo, broke my thumb (didn't want to let go, lol) -

Glasgow - 1981 - Friends face bashed in with baseball bat by the "Tory Toi" gang for no reason. We were playing on home made go-carts

Aviemore - 1987 - Local bully had his throat cut outside chip shop. I was among 30 witnesses. He died on way to hospital. Killer was the chef who lived two doors from me

Glasgow - 1988 - My car was broken into outside my house. Window smashed, stereo stolen

Glasgow - 1998 - Woke up at 3am to sound of woman screaming outside. Called police. Next day we hear she had been raped 100 yards from our house

Glasgow - 2002 - My Shogun is broken into outside our house, all my tools stolen

Glasgow - 2004 - Man gets beaten with baseball bat as he leaves local pub... by the landlord... at 12 noon, with kids watching. I was going to the post office at the time.

London (Slough) - 2009 - Friends parked car gets smashed into by joy riders when we are buying a car. Police not interested

Glasgow - 2011 - Junky neighbour sets fire to his shed, which spreads to all the neighbours fences

This year has been fairly quiet so far, lol. Just the usual scumbags dumping trucks of garbage in the park where I walk my dog, and the odd junky stealing stuff from Tesco.

Wow, It's only when you sit down and type this all out that you realise all the nasty stuff you've seen
This is nothing, try living in Johannesburg.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:49 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Proof, if ever any were needed, that being precious about cars just causes heartache and stress. You should get the sort of car that you wouldn't even notice if it got keyed, life would be much simpler.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:52 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Let's think.........

1983: violently beaten up by three blokes in France for no reason other than being British (I still have the scar on my nose and the dental crown).

Early 1990s: mugged in Balham (tackled from behind and knife shoved in face while on the ground).

Also early 1990s: close to two IRA visits.

Someone tried to nick our car a couple of years ago (who nicks a Shitfire?).

Various pickpocketing and identity theft incidents.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:08 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

IRA terrorist bomb exploded in town centre on the street I was shopping on 40 minutes previously.

One bomb went off in a waste bin and the next went off in another waste bin further along, to catch people fleeing. The second was outside a McDonalds. This was Saturday shopping.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:12 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
IRA terrorist bomb exploded in town centre on the street I was shopping on 40 minutes previously.

One bomb went off in a waste bin and the next went off in another waste bin further along, to catch people fleeing. The second was outside a McDonalds. This was Saturday shopping.
In the late 90s I had a Canadian moaning at me about the lack of litter bins in London. I explained why that was. He shut up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.