Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

A "what car to get" question

A "what car to get" question

Old Sep 1st 2009, 3:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A "what car to get" question

Confidence is a tricky thing though. I, like many people opted for a 4x4 to help deal with the winter when I arrived.

4x4 helps get you going allright, but does nothing to help you stop, which is what ultimately really matters. Winter tires is what you need for that. The danger is being a bit too overconfident due to the ability of 4x4 or AWD to find grip when there really isn't much about.

Now after a few years here I dont worry about it. The AWD Subaru is awesome in the winter, but Ive had no problem getting around in the Civic with its Blizzak tires either. The Civic with winter tires handles better in the winter than the Subaru with all seasons did. Anyway, thats probably a whole other topic...and certainly been done to death here before.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 1st 2009 at 3:13 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I think in general all new vehicles are pretty reliable now. This isnt 1970s Britain
Are you sure about that? link
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:11 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyS
Hi all

Ok so here it is. We're a family of six so most cars are just no good for us. Here in the UK we have a Chrysler Voyager for the main family car, but I really fancy a change.

Sooo anyone had a Nissan Pathfinder? I'm really thinking of a jeep kinda looking thing more than the usual people carrier. I'm open to any suggestions and also any reason to "not" get a certain make.

Thanks in advance
have a look at consumer guide canada, or the US i suppose. looking at a pathfinder myself, but have been steered toward the toyota highlander after reading this and other reviews on the pathfinder. its good, just that there are better for the same money.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at buying a similar vehicle - 7 seater with a decent 3rd row and possibly AWD as a first timer dealing with the Calgary winter.

I've gone Japanese with the last two cars in the UK and would probably stick with that unless the price differential seems to much.

To me the minivan choice is either the Oddysey/Sienna or Grand Caravan. Some people say the Caravan is fine others say it's a piece of junk. The Japanese vehicles certainly seem pretty good but I do wonder if the price premium is getting just too much to justify. I had a Caravan on hire last summer and it was fine but I could see aspects of the finishing that were a bit crude which makes me wonder about the durability of them. All the surveys seem to give the Caravan a pretty poor reliability rating.

The Sienna does come with AWD as an option. I was quite interested in that until I found out it has no spare and uses run flat tyres. Seems like a a complication to be avoided to me. Can you get run flat winter tyres?

The AWD option I've looked at is the Honda Pilot. There isn't quite as much interior space as the minivans but that seems to be the trade off for AWD.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:36 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Can you get run flat winter tyres?
Yes
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What about the Ford Flex, that offers minivanish practicallity without being a van?
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:49 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What about the Ford Flex, that offers minivanish practicallity without being a van?
looks like something you carry dead bodies in though. and its a ford.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:52 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
The AWD option I've looked at is the Honda Pilot. There isn't quite as much interior space as the minivans but that seems to be the trade off for AWD.
Quite. Some good friends of ours had a Pilot the same age as our Odyssey. It's built on the same platform, so overall size is about the same, and both seat 8 with all the seats up. Where the Pilot really falls down, though, is in the amount of luggage space if you're more than 4-up. The 4WD eats up a bunch of space that is given over to interior stowage in the Odyssey. I can get 8x4 sheets of ply or drywall flat in the back of the van; no way I could do that in a Pilot.

I'm with Iain on this - 4WD is completely unnecessary for almost all the suburban and/or highway driving that the vast majority of Canadians undertake. I'd far, far rather have a set of winter tyres on a FWD vehicle and take the extra usable interior space - even if that means joining the massed ranks of minivan owners. Don't see the point in SUVs at all, as I don't have anything large to tow and don't habitually drive cross-country.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:54 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
looks like something you carry dead bodies in though. and its a ford.
I know what you mean. Every time I see one, I feel compelled to stand still and take my hat off, even though I don't wear one.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Quite. Some good friends of ours had a Pilot the same age as our Odyssey. It's built on the same platform, so overall size is about the same, and both seat 8 with all the seats up. Where the Pilot really falls down, though, is in the amount of luggage space if you're more than 4-up. The 4WD eats up a bunch of space that is given over to interior stowage in the Odyssey. I can get 8x4 sheets of ply or drywall flat in the back of the van; no way I could do that in a Pilot.

I'm with Iain on this - 4WD is completely unnecessary for almost all the suburban and/or highway driving that the vast majority of Canadians undertake. I'd far, far rather have a set of winter tyres on a FWD vehicle and take the extra usable interior space - even if that means joining the massed ranks of minivan owners. Don't see the point in SUVs at all, as I don't have anything large to tow and don't habitually drive cross-country.
Just checked the Honda brochures for the cargo volume behind the 3rd row.

Pilot 589 litres
Odyssey 1934 litres

So with all seats in use Odyssey has 3 times the luggage space roughly.

Sienna gives you 1240 litres.

For comparison with a mid saloon, a Corolla gives you 350 litres
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

WendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant future

Thanks for all your ideas, i'm googling all these cars you are mentioning.

Wendy
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I know what you mean. Every time I see one, I feel compelled to stand still and take my hat off, even though I don't wear one.
I think they look a bit like a Range Rover on steroids myself. Could be a good option for the OP, Fords pricing is pretty competitive / cut throat at the moment.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Don't see the point in SUVs at all, as I don't have anything large to tow and don't habitually drive cross-country.
We have an SUV, the 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser. It's useful if there's a need to go out after heavy snow and before the plough. The ground clearance makes it equal to, or perhaps superior to, the tractor in those conditions. I do use it off road but that's mainly because it's old and it doesn't matter if I fill it with hay or logs or whatever. If the plough has come then the FWD pastel Beetle is up to the job.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute

Just googled Ford Flex, my god that's ugly and what sort of a name is Flex anyway
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Louisecooke
Just googled Ford Flex, my god that's ugly and what sort of a name is Flex anyway
Be fair, its not like its a Pontiac Aztek!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.