Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Well water help please

Well water help please

Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:32 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well water help please

Congratulations on finding oil on your land! Do you think all the money will spoil you?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 5:49 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I know we are on well water Piff but that's about the depth of my knowledge on this issue. If there's a problen then hubby or f-i-l will sort it

Although ours turns everything red after a while (we shocked it last year when it got smelly and it solved the problem).

Wouldn't drink it straight out of the tap though it's ok for bathing / boiling etc.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 12:19 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

If your neighbor has the same problem it is probably the water source that is the problem.

After you have shocked the well, if the problem persists, take a sample to a lab for a full water test (not just bacteria) and at least then you will know what you have to deal with, and will have the information a professional can use to solve the problem.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 2:34 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inse
Can you set light to it when you turn on the taps?
Erm...I'll give it a go

Originally Posted by caretaker
Congratulations on finding oil on your land! Do you think all the money will spoil you?
I'm already spoilt

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I know we are on well water Piff but that's about the depth of my knowledge on this issue. If there's a problen then hubby or f-i-l will sort it

Although ours turns everything red after a while (we shocked it last year when it got smelly and it solved the problem).

Wouldn't drink it straight out of the tap though it's ok for bathing / boiling etc.
Not even using ours for boiling atm, I was until it turned black, but now it's just a bit to worrying.

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
If your neighbor has the same problem it is probably the water source that is the problem.

After you have shocked the well, if the problem persists, take a sample to a lab for a full water test (not just bacteria) and at least then you will know what you have to deal with, and will have the information a professional can use to solve the problem.
That's the plan I think. I would like a fairy godmother to wave a wand and solve all the little issues and unpack for me please, I've had enough stress now thank you.

We were aware we would have some issues with the house, water wasn't something we had thought about more than, we'll get a nice system put in to make yummy tap water oh well. Ha well
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Is it still black??

We have a similar situation (~240' deep well with no chance of contamination out here (back of beyond, in the mountains) but with far too much naturally occurring iron, which causes the ideal environment for the relatively harmless but pretty unpalatable "sulphur-reducing" bacteria (which is what produces that slight eggy smell.) We've been drinking the water for 7 years (we put it through a Brita filter for taste only - no UV or any other purification) and we're still fine.

We do notice that after the well hasn't been used for a while (which is only after an extended power cut as there is another family who share the well, so it's still in use while we're away) we do get black sediment coming through, in suspension, out of the taps, but it's only for a very short while - not days, that's for sure!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:27 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

One quick way to look at is to put it in a glass and see what happens overnight

If it settles to the bottom, it may be a mineral contamination (mud or other)

If it forms thin strands then its possibly a sulphur bacteria, you might also find this in toilet tanks etc (long thin strands)

if its goes transparent but is still dark, then you may have reduced iron in solution, or organic material dissolved in the water (like a tea)

none of these are better or more meaningful than a lab test and that will give you the key answers that will help resolve the problem

this may be a help http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/pubs...-puits-eng.php

Last edited by MikeUK; Jul 11th 2012 at 11:34 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:42 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Is it still black??

We have a similar situation (~240' deep well with no chance of contamination out here (back of beyond, in the mountains) but with far too much naturally occurring iron, which causes the ideal environment for the relatively harmless but pretty unpalatable "sulphur-reducing" bacteria (which is what produces that slight eggy smell.) We've been drinking the water for 7 years (we put it through a Brita filter for taste only - no UV or any other purification) and we're still fine.

We do notice that after the well hasn't been used for a while (which is only after an extended power cut as there is another family who share the well, so it's still in use while we're away) we do get black sediment coming through, in suspension, out of the taps, but it's only for a very short while - not days, that's for sure!
Originally Posted by MikeUK
One quick way to look at is to put it in a glass and see what happens overnight

If it settles to the bottom, it may be a mineral contamination (mud or other)

If it forms thin strands then its possibly a sulphur bacteria, you might also find this in toilet tanks etc (long thin strands)

if its goes transparent but is still dark, then you may have reduced iron in solution, or organic material dissolved in the water (like a tea)

none of these are better or more meaningful than a lab test and that will give you the key answers that will help resolve the problem

this may be a help http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/pubs...-puits-eng.php

I have commented to OH this evening that the water isn't as dark this evening and the smell is not as choking as it has been (I even rinsed my toothbrush in the stuff today and I'm not dead), he agreed and said he was going to say the same to me, there are also no black particles in the bottom of the bath and washing up bowl today. Scheduled shocking of well should take place on Friday evening - as long as we're brave enough, quite concerned that if we take the well cap off the well will fall apart or something, seeing as this is the house of horrors
Old Jul 13th 2012, 12:41 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

The iron bacteria can also be down to air pockets in your pipes and issues with the hot water tank. Is it black for certain actually coming out of the well?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by GavinR
The iron bacteria can also be down to air pockets in your pipes and issues with the hot water tank. Is it black for certain actually coming out of the well?
I have no ideaHow would we check that?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:31 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

There may be a tap before the riser from the pump goes into your water pressure tank. Failing that there's almost always a tap coming directly off the pressure tank, suggest you try those first.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by GavinR
There may be a tap before the riser from the pump goes into your water pressure tank. Failing that there's almost always a tap coming directly off the pressure tank, suggest you try those first.
OK we will have a looky loo.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:23 am
Banned

kingdavid2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is obviously unsafe.You should make a deep drill did you get the clean water.Usually 80-100 feet in depth.advice you to consult some local geologists
Old Jul 15th 2012, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by kingdavid2012
It is obviously unsafe.You should make a deep drill did you get the clean water.Usually 80-100 feet in depth.advice you to consult some local geologists
Err - do you know what your talking about? Smelly water is not uncommon here.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 6:47 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

lol in rural properties i'd say it's the norm lol.

Hows it going any news yet?
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
lol in rural properties i'd say it's the norm lol.

Hows it going any news yet?
Well, erm I forgot to buy more bleach, so we have to reschedule the shocking It will be interesting to see if a day of heavy rain affects the water tomorrow, if it does we know we have a bit of a problem. The water has remained smelly but no longer black, if it's black again tomorrow, I'm moving

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.