Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Wedding ring conundrum

Wedding ring conundrum

Old Nov 20th 2019, 12:03 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of
Default Wedding ring conundrum

Hey just wondered if I could solicit some input on this situation.

Had my wedding ring re-sized in person in Whitby, UK in May 2019, by the now-retired jeweller that hand-made it 12 years ago. Came back home to Canada and 2 months later, the Whitby Jet cracked (likely as a result of the resizing) and needed replacing.

My dad visited from UK in Oct and as he lives down the road from Whitby, he took it for me back home for me and to the jeweller to replace the Whitby Jet band in the ring. Awesome. It’s repaired and it was inexpensive.

However my dad now has my wedding ring and I’m a bit terrified of him mailing it. It’s white gold and from what I think the jeweller said in May, it’s worth about £1000.

Is there a way of ensuring I don’t get charged duty / taxes when it crosses back into Canada? Is there something on the UK - Canada declaration where my dad can specify it as repair work, while stating it’s high value?

Also, what is the method you’d be most comfortable using for shipping a small, high-value item like this? Courier? Royal Mail? I guess it will cost a pretty penny for full value insurance coverage. Have you had any experience of being terrified that the more you declare it’s value, the more chance there is of it being stolen? I realize that if I wanted to full value insure it I’d need to be accurate about its value.

Would it help to ask the jeweller to write out something stating it was a repair valued at £35 and put that in the package?

Thanks, Katie
Old Nov 20th 2019, 4:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding ring conundrum

Originally Posted by misskatpaw
Hey just wondered if I could solicit some input on this situation.

Had my wedding ring re-sized in person in Whitby, UK in May 2019, by the now-retired jeweller that hand-made it 12 years ago. Came back home to Canada and 2 months later, the Whitby Jet cracked (likely as a result of the resizing) and needed replacing.

My dad visited from UK in Oct and as he lives down the road from Whitby, he took it for me back home for me and to the jeweller to replace the Whitby Jet band in the ring. Awesome. It’s repaired and it was inexpensive.

However my dad now has my wedding ring and I’m a bit terrified of him mailing it. It’s white gold and from what I think the jeweller said in May, it’s worth about £1000.

Is there a way of ensuring I don’t get charged duty / taxes when it crosses back into Canada? Is there something on the UK - Canada declaration where my dad can specify it as repair work, while stating it’s high value?

Also, what is the method you’d be most comfortable using for shipping a small, high-value item like this? Courier? Royal Mail? I guess it will cost a pretty penny for full value insurance coverage. Have you had any experience of being terrified that the more you declare it’s value, the more chance there is of it being stolen? I realize that if I wanted to full value insure it I’d need to be accurate about its value.

Would it help to ask the jeweller to write out something stating it was a repair valued at £35 and put that in the package?

Thanks, Katie
Could your Dad fly over with it, perhaps?

Other than that, I would only send it by courier - never, ever by RoyalMail / Canada Post - they both lose stuff.
Did you by any chance declare it on your "goods accompanying/goods to follow" lists? If so (particularly if a photo or description was included) you could probably send your Dad a copy of that to include in the package to show that it had come into Canada previously and was only 'abroad' for repair. Might help with any potential tax/duty issues - particularly if the jeweller can include a 'repair' receipt.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 20th 2019 at 4:28 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I think with something like this I would wait until the next time you are in the UK or your dad is here and you can be reunited with it. I'd rather know something like that was safe with family then worry about a courier or Royal Mail/Canada Post losing it. Its not about the material value, if its lost its irreplaceable due to the sentimental value.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 2:49 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

I moved here just over 7yrs ago. I don’t believe I put our wedding rings on a goods accompanying list. Good thought though. I would be frustrated to have to wait until someone comes over again. Earliest I know we are getting visitors is Aug 2020. However I also don’t want it to get lost or stolen. That’s more of a concern than paying tax. I think I could try to get reimbursed for any tax I was charged, but I don’t know how it would work exactly
Old Nov 21st 2019, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

As long as it's indicated as repair when shipping back to you, there should be no duty:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...-2-10-eng.html

If you go with a courier, and they try and charge duty, make sure you contest it. Another way to make sure is that once you have the tracking # can also ask to clear the item yourself at a CBSA office, it looks like Kamloops Airport might have one but you will have to check.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 7:53 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

Thanks CanadaJimmy, that’s really useful info!!
Old Nov 21st 2019, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Just be aware of this

Goods, including containers or coverings filled or empty, originating in Canada, after having been exported therefrom, if the goods are returned without having been advanced in value or improved in condition by any process of manufacture or other means, or combined with any other article abroad.

Basically this means a repair can be carried out but the repair should not increase the value of the item or improving its conditions. The cost of the repair should be declared.
An example of this would be you have a car and take it down to the USA. You install 4 new rims and tires, replace the exhaust and replace the shocks.
Would you say the vehicle has not been advanced in value or improved its condition on its return to Canada?