Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

We are having a baby in Vancouver!!

We are having a baby in Vancouver!!

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Lynsi has a spectacular aura aboutLynsi has a spectacular aura aboutLynsi has a spectacular aura about
Default We are having a baby in Vancouver!!

Well Holy Crap we are having a baby!
BC PNP, then PR applied for back in May and now I am preggers. I really hope we hear back before I give birth. I don't fancy adding to our application at that late stage, fingers crossed

Does anyone have any advice on claiming maternity benefits etc. Any and all advice on having a first child in our new home of Vancouver would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys,
Lynsi
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:39 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We are having a baby in Vancouver!!

Maternity benefit is part of Employment Insurance. You have to have four months of full time work here (Lower Mainland) to qualify.

If you are arriving as PRs you will be able to claim Child Tax Benefit and Universal Child Care Benefit. UCCB is $100 per month (and is taxable). CTB depends on your family earnings in prior years. It is quite generous for low income families, but don't expect much if you had decent earnings in the UK in 2010.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynsi
Well Holy Crap we are having a baby!
BC PNP, then PR applied for back in May and now I am preggers. I really hope we hear back before I give birth. I don't fancy adding to our application at that late stage, fingers crossed

Does anyone have any advice on claiming maternity benefits etc. Any and all advice on having a first child in our new home of Vancouver would be appreciated.
If child is born in Canada then child will be a Canadian citizen, so doesn't normally complicate the PR application.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

We have Ontario PNP and applied for PR in April. Our 3rd daughter is due in 5 weeks. She will have Canadian citizenship by birth. So my child will have citizenship whilst we are still on a TWP And there is no need to add her to the PR application.
The only thing you have to do is ring CIC and let them know as soon as the baby is born. They probably will ask for a birth certificate.
Good luck with the pregnancy !!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Hi Lynsi, I'm not sure if you're actually in Vancouver now or still in the UK? The maternity system is very different to that of the UK, but if you can arrange care with a registered midwife, then that's what i would recommend. If you are not covered by the BC Healthcare system, then you will have to pay.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Lynsi has a spectacular aura aboutLynsi has a spectacular aura aboutLynsi has a spectacular aura about

Hey,
We are in Vancouver on the North shore. We have been paying EI for 18 months and have our BC Medical cards.
Thanks for all your help and advice,
Lynsi x
Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

amlangford is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I are planing to start a family in Vancouver, we've been here for 2 years with PR status, but plan to return to live in the UK at some point.

Question: If my wife was to claim maternity leave (i.e. EI) here in Canada and then we returned to the UK, possibly during the period she is claiming...are there any implications?

Would we be able to continue claiming IE from the UK?

Many thanks
Old Sep 21st 2011, 5:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amlangford
My wife and I are planing to start a family in Vancouver, we've been here for 2 years with PR status, but plan to return to live in the UK at some point.

Question: If my wife was to claim maternity leave (i.e. EI) here in Canada and then we returned to the UK, possibly during the period she is claiming...are there any implications?

Would we be able to continue claiming IE from the UK?

Many thanks
Not if you are moving to live in the UK permanently. Service Canada to be sure.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 5:09 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Lynsi....Congrats on the baby front
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Thank you! Thats very kind of you. I have found a great Midwife and I am feeling really happy.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 2:44 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Lynsi
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lynsi
Thank you! Thats very kind of you. I have found a great Midwife and I am feeling really happy.
Fantastic! It's not Vera by any chance is it?
Old Sep 26th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Congratulations!