Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Washing machines in Canada?

Washing machines in Canada?

Old Mar 6th 2014, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough
Default Washing machines in Canada?

Just wondering, what is your experience with the washing machines in Canada and their technology? Don't you also think that they are a bit behind in technology, compared to the ones in Europe/UK? .

like the top load ones by Maytag?
http://www.maytag.ca/en_CA/-%5BMVWC2...ingsandreviews

I personally think that my shirts were "whiter" than compared to here in Canada.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 1:49 pm
?

jwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Washing machines in Canada?

I'm still smiling at a conversation I had in Regina where a lady was telling me about these new ovens that blew the hot air around inside them to even out the heat, they were just fantastic and soon most houses would have one!!!!

I look at ads on kijjiijji thingy and despair at the kitchens. Old fashioned coil heater elements on one piece cooker/oven combos, top loading washing machines.

One thing I do like though is the combined microwave extractor
Old Mar 6th 2014, 1:49 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Get a front loader then, we have whirlpool washing machine and matching dryer, both are ok working fine.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 1:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwtimmon
I look at ads on kijjiijji thingy and despair at the kitchens. Old fashioned coil heater elements on one piece cooker/oven combos, top loading washing machines.
I sob for people trying to cook on electric stoves.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Get a front loader then, we have whirlpool washing machine and matching dryer, both are ok working fine.

Sometimes one can't. I live in one of these rental places where they have communal washing machines in the basement. Don't know if that's a very hygienic thing, but everyone seems to use it without hesitation.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
Sometimes one can't. I live in one of these rental places where they have communal washing machines in the basement. Don't know if that's a very hygienic thing, but everyone seems to use it without hesitation.
The machines in the laundrette just east of Parliament, across from the Tim Horton's, are reputed to be good (and I imagine the company is entertaining).
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:25 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure someone is selling a product to deal with this. Or bleach.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:27 pm
?

jwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to behold

Already out there
http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/fmcg/dett...348905.article
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwtimmon
I'm still smiling at a conversation I had in Regina where a lady was telling me about these new ovens that blew the hot air around inside them to even out the heat, they were just fantastic and soon most houses would have one!!!!

Saskatchewan has always been behind the rest of the world.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you also think that they are a bit behind in technology, compared to the ones in Europe/UK? .
How, exactly, are they behind in technology?

I personally think that my shirts were "whiter" than compared to here in Canada.

That likely has more to do with the detergent you are using than the washing machine itself.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33

I sob for anyone reading these idiotic posts of yours. Gas burners are better than electric but electric ovens are better than gas.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
I sob for anyone reading these idiotic posts of yours. Gas burners are better than electric but electric ovens are better than gas.
And my dads bigger than your dad
Old Mar 6th 2014, 3:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by colchar
Electric ovens are certainly comparable in functionality to gas ones. However, if you're only going to have one appliance, the value of improved burners greatly outweighs the marginal loss of temperature consistency in having a gas oven.

Top loading washers are valuable only to clothing manufacturers, each shredded garment means another sale.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 3:15 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm usually able to cook a meal I enjoy on one.

(Cue craftsman and tools quote)
Old Mar 6th 2014, 3:20 pm
?

My order of preference for stovetop cooking

Gas
Induction
Halogen
Ceramic Plate
Heating Element

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.