Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

warning: content is offensive

warning: content is offensive

Old Dec 21st 2013, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default warning: content is offensive

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8648031.stm

If I maybe permitted a much needed break from the 'black santa' thread, here is an example of mundane matters being carried to the extreme

It involves, just like the fictional black santa, a comic book type character called 'tin tin'

While at boarding school in Paris must have read all the tin tin books
Old Dec 21st 2013, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: warning: content is offensive

some common sense at work

although, in the spirit of western democracy, there is always an appeal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...urt-rules.html
Old Dec 21st 2013, 6:27 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8648031.stm

If I maybe permitted a much needed break from the 'black santa' thread, here is an example of mundane matters being carried to the extreme

It involves, just like the fictional black santa, a comic book type character called 'tin tin'

While at boarding school in Paris must have read all the tin tin books
You seem quite obsessed with ethnicity. Why not leave that sort of issue to younger people to sort out? It’s not your world anymore.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 6:44 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It's a somewhat tricky issue, amending classic children's stories, but I think it has to be done. Same goes for Punch and Judy shows. Basically, they send the wrong message to young minds.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
It's a somewhat tricky issue, amending classic children's stories, but I think it has to be done. Same goes for Punch and Judy shows. Basically, they send the wrong message to young minds.
I think it is idiotic to amend such material

That was the way some people thought at the time and that has mostly changed

It is no different than re-writing history

Should 'Mein Kampf' be banned or sanitized?
Old Dec 21st 2013, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oink
You seem quite obsessed with ethnicity. Why not leave that sort of issue to younger people to sort out? It’s not your world anymore.
Obsessed?

This topic has always fascinated me and how people are just too ready to jump to conclusions
Old Dec 21st 2013, 7:03 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is idiotic to amend such material

That was the way some people thought at the time and that has mostly changed

It is no different than re-writing history

Should 'Mein Kampf' be banned or sanitized?
There is a distinction to be drawn between children's literature and (adult) literature. It would be "idiotic" to amend "Mein Kampf" or material that adults can make judgements on. With the Tin Tin books, there is no reason the originals could not be kept/purchased in a non- children's section. Herge's themes reflected the society he lived in, and they certainly make an interesting historical comparative.

The problem with not amending the books is that they start to fall out of favour. And that would be a greater shame than a bit of modernisation. The bigger picture is that these are children's stories, they entertain and inform, they are not great works of literature or thought.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 7:20 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a distinction to be drawn between children's literature and (adult) literature. It would be "idiotic" to amend "Mein Kampf" or material that adults can make judgements on. With the Tin Tin books, there is no reason the originals could not be kept/purchased in a non- children's section. Herge's themes reflected the society he lived in, and they certainly make an interesting historical comparative.

The problem with not amending the books is that they start to fall out of favour. And that would be a greater shame than a bit of modernisation. The bigger picture is that these are children's stories, they entertain and inform, they are not great works of literature or thought.
Context is a concept mike seems to struggle with.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 8:31 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

What a joke banning books. Some people take this political correctness thing a little too far.

My favourite is everyone changing "eenie meenie minie mo, catch a ... by the toe". A white person is a racist if they use that word no matter what the context but its littered throughout black rap songs that we have to listen to.

Back to the Tintin article, I like the part about
A scene in Tintin in the Congo in which the eponymous hero gave a geography lesson to Africans about Belgium was later changed to a maths class
Hell we need to start censoring the Yanks then as they think we all live in igloos and hunt walrus.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 8:35 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Tin Tin is for children? I'm embarrassed.

Surely not Asterix too?
Old Dec 21st 2013, 9:37 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Tin Tin is for children? I'm embarrassed.

Surely not Asterix too?
Both much enjoyed by big children too!
Old Dec 21st 2013, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

With the Tin Tin books, there is no reason the originals could not be kept/purchased in a non- children's section. Herge's themes reflected the society he lived in, and they certainly make an interesting historical comparative.

My solution is to leave well enough alone.

People are able to make babies in mere moments and, in the same vein, might need to spend a few moments to educate their offspring to be able to appreciate how attitudes have changed over generations. If they don't know any better, or choose not to do so, then just too bad.

60 years ago at boarding school in Paris the teacher(s) used to show tin tin books on the wall by using a simple overhead projector. We were not warned about so called offensive context simply because way back then it was not seen as being offensive.

Me, I have not kept in touch with past school mates but I figure that if any turned out to be racists. or condoned it, or defended it , this was hardly because of any limited exposure to tin tin

(PS I do not expect Alan2005 to agree with me)

Last edited by montreal mike; Dec 21st 2013 at 11:10 am.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 11:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My solution is to leave well enough alone.

People are able to make babies in mere moments and, in the same vein, might need to spend a few moments to educate their offspring to be able to appreciate how attitudes have changed over generations. If they don't know any better, or choose not to do so, then just too bad.

60 years ago at boarding school in Paris the teacher(s) used to show tin tin books on the wall by using a simple overhead projector. We were not warned about so called offensive context simply because way back then it was not seen as being offensive.

Me, I have not kept in touch with past school mates but I figure that if any turned out to be racists. or condoned it, or defended it , this was hardly because of any limited exposure to tin tin

(PS I do not expect Alan2005 to agree with me)
Did you enjoy your Little Black Sambo golliwog just as much?
Old Dec 21st 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Did you enjoy your Little Black Sambo golliwog just as much?
I assume you refer to enid blyton

if so, yes I read her books as a child and I am happy to report they did not leave any lasting scars either

http://wiki.ncac.org/The_Little_Blac...hree_Golliwogs
Old Dec 21st 2013, 12:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you refer to enid blyton

if so, yes I read her books as a child and I am happy to report they did not leave any lasting scars either

http://wiki.ncac.org/The_Little_Blac...hree_Golliwogs
How do you know? As a Jesuit educated man you should know that values we learn as children are hard to shake off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.