British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Visitor fatigue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/visitor-fatigue-883632/)

BristolUK Sep 23rd 2016 10:47 pm

Re: Visitor fatigue

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 12060134)
Perhaps you'd be afraid that you would cutoff your supply of free accommodation when visiting the U.K. 😱😱😱

I've never been back and have no plans to.

Personal and misplaced dig aside, aren't you rather missing the point about families? Good and bad parts, rough with the smooth and all that.

Pom_Chch Sep 23rd 2016 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 12059961)
There's many mean spirited people posting on this thread. It you don't want friends/relatives staying with you then have the testicular fortitude to tell them NO.

I'm too chicken sh1t to say no. I would love to say eff off after 3 days please but what comes out of my mouth is more like "sounds great, stay as long as you like." :banghead:

bats Sep 23rd 2016 10:52 pm

I like my visitors, the current one especially but it is tiring trying to be a good host and tour guide. I don't keep in touch with people I don't like so they wouldn't be asking to visit.

Shard Sep 23rd 2016 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12060143)
I like my visitors, the current one especially but it is tiring trying to be a good host and tour guide. I don't keep in touch with people I don't like so they wouldn't be asking to visit.

What about those friends from whom you may have drifted apart, and don't necessarily want to see, but who are keen to visit you (for their own convenience)? I have one like that, I don't wish to be rude, but at the same time, dislike being asked for hospitality after years of minimal contact.

cxx Sep 23rd 2016 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 12060134)
Yes, somewhat, but at least one wouldn't be squirming and rolling eyes every time the visitor entered your company or spoke to you. Perhaps you'd be afraid that you would cutoff your supply of free accommodation when visiting the U.K. 😱😱😱

When it's the in-laws there's an obligation to have them visit so you don't always have a choice, but I haven't spent a single night in their house and have no intention to ever do so. I have happily paid for hotels so I don't have to stay with them.

jamesmc Sep 23rd 2016 11:25 pm

our visitors are told before they arrive ...we all work ....cant afford tae eat out much...if you use the truck you better put fuel in it and YOU buy the flat o beer and WE are not a café...and enjoy your self!

bats Sep 24th 2016 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12060147)
What about those friends from whom you may have drifted apart, and don't necessarily want to see, but who are keen to visit you (for their own convenience)? I have one like that, I don't wish to be rude, but at the same time, dislike being asked for hospitality after years of minimal contact.

i suppose that would depend on how long they wanted to stay and how much it matters if you offend them by refusing.

I don't have anyone in that category really. I dont send Christmas cards so any other contact is meant. I'm a marmite type of person, either loved or hated so people who ask to visit want to see us and not bum free accomodation.

BristolUK Sep 24th 2016 1:34 pm

Here's the answer

http://assets.amuniversal.com/fcdb7f...45005056a9545d

Snowy560 Sep 25th 2016 4:09 am

I love this thread. Makes me realize I'm by no means the only one who finds it difficult to tolerate guests. I'm always so relieved to have the place back to myself.

My daughter is always asking to have friends to sleep over. I dread it.

S

Zoe Bell Sep 25th 2016 12:50 pm

As a positive counter point. I love it when my brother visits. I get to see him every two years or so.
I don't mind acting as a fully inclusive resort for him, as he spends a lot of his time doing stuff for my parents. Running them to hospital appointments and the like.
I consider it my way of thanking him for all he does for them.
He's also hilarious to be around

plasticcanuck Sep 25th 2016 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 12059986)
Lol Im sure my worst enemy would

Why would you ever take tea with your worst enemy?

BristolUK Sep 25th 2016 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 12061125)

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. :nod:

beckiwoo Sep 25th 2016 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 12061125)

Obviously you don't get humour very well here do you?