Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Visiting the USA from Canada Options

Visiting the USA from Canada Options

Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future
Default Re: Visiting the USA from Canada Options

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No you havent misunderstood if you are a resident of Canada or one of those contiguous territory then you are ok.
The problem is the poster being a resident of the UK does not legally qualify to fly into the US on an ESTA then drive into Canada. He could fly in on an ESTA in transit and then fly to Canada but not drive.
Sorry for any confusion here. I am a resident of Canada, with UK passport.

So am I ok to fly in to the US ( from Canada) and drive back to Canada ?

Last edited by badab1ng; Jan 10th 2013 at 8:58 am. Reason: clarifying a point
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
Is this supposed to read Citizen cause it sounds like he is a resident of Canada.
Sorry for any confusion here. I am a resident of Canada, with UK passport.

So am I ok to fly in to the US ( from Canada) and drive back to Canada ?

Last edited by badab1ng; Jan 10th 2013 at 8:59 am. Reason: Clarifying a point
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

No you havent misunderstood if you are a resident of Canada or one of those contiguous territory then you are ok.
The problem is the poster being a resident of the UK does not legally qualify to fly into the US on an ESTA then drive into Canada. He could fly in on an ESTA in transit and then fly to Canada but not drive.
But isn't is a condition of using the VWP that if flying into the USA one has to have a return flight booked?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You can request an I-94W if you're using ESTA to enter the US by air, ask the inspector and they'll send you to secondary to fill it in.
I don't understand... Why would someone entering on the VWP want an I94 instead of just a stamp?

Surely that then burdens the traveller with having to hand back the I94 when they leave the States, whereas if they'd just had a stamp they'd not need to do anything?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would the US authorities care where you're resident? If you're entering on a British passport you're British and so need ESTA and/or an I94.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Why would the US authorities care where you're resident? If you're entering on a British passport you're British and so need ESTA and/or an I94.
But the US in their rules state that if you wish to fly into the US then drive to Canada you must be a resident of Canada.
What is happening is UK citizens coming to Canada to activate an IEC work permit are flying into the US and then wanting to drive into Canada. As they are not residents of Canada then legally they are not supposed to do this. They can fly into the US in transit and then fly into Canada but not drive.
Most do not have a return ticket if wanting to drive in so their journey cannot
terminate in Canada if not a resident of Canada. Sure they may have an ESTA but when clearing US Customs and not staying in the US or flying onto Canada they are being refused entry into the US as they dont meet the ESTA requirements. An ESTA does not guarantee you entry into the US.

Does a travel authorization guarantee me admission to the United States?

If your electronic travel authorization is approved, this approval establishes that you are eligible to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program, but does not guarantee that you are admissible to the United States. Upon arrival in the United States you will be inspected by a Customs and Border Protection officer at a port of entry who may determine that you are inadmissible under the Visa Waiver Program or for any reason under United States law.

These are US laws and regs not Canadian ones. We dont care how you get to Canada only if you require a visa or not and have a valid passport.
Note it says Canadian residents not citizens as we have many students and workers who are temporary residents of Canada.

If in doubt
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
Old Jan 11th 2013, 2:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

But the US in their rules state that if you wish to fly into the US then drive to Canada you must be a resident of Canada.
Well, that's an unusually generous concession on their part, I wouldn't expect them to allow people on non-US passports to fly into the US from Europe with no documentation of a plan to leave and no right to remain in the US.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, that's an unusually generous concession on their part, I wouldn't expect them to allow people on non-US passports to fly into the US from Europe with no documentation of a plan to leave and no right to remain in the US.
But is this not referring more to those flying in from Canada? It may well be that those VWP nationals who are resident in Canada are allowed to fly into the US and drive out, (I've yet to see any laws, regulations or at least official sources cited that back this up), but even if this is the case, the majority of them will be flying in from Canada, not from Europe.
And even if they are flying in from Europe, why is it such a big deal that they would be let into the States and left to move back to Canada by road or rail if they are resident in Canada? I think this is just normal for any western country. If a US citizen was resident in France, I'd expect them to be able to drop by the UK on their way back to France from America for a holiday without them being accused to trying to illegally immigrate here.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 6:50 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
I don't understand... Why would someone entering on the VWP want an I94 instead of just a stamp?

Surely that then burdens the traveller with having to hand back the I94 when they leave the States, whereas if they'd just had a stamp they'd not need to do anything?
Because she was saying the CBP inspector she was dealing with was thick. Probably had never worked at an airport.

Sometimes you do actually need an I-94 for ID purposes in the US, although on the VWP there isn't much point because the things you might need it for don't really apply on the VWP.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 6:56 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Because the regs for the VWP define leaving as leaving North America, not the US. This is to prevent flagpoling.

What they're supposed to do if you enter from Canada as a citizen of another country is to check what your residency status is in Canada (e.g. see your PR card) to verify your non-immigrant intent although I only had it happen a couple of times (both times I had it was with people who looked new on the job, I assume they remembered their training). It's not just about leaving.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Deficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Why do you believe that this would not be OK. An ESTA is not trip specific.
Because they would have no record of you leaving, unlike when entering by land and getting the I-94W, which would be surrendered either way (in theory, but not necessarily in practice I gather) when you drive/fly into Canada.

Saying that, I suppose when entering with ESTA clearance they wouldn't necessarily have record of you leaving by plane; I understand they have access to flight data but I imagine they might not do much with it unless specifically concerned about you for whatever reason.

As I said though, I felt like I had read something to that effect but could not find anything to back it up, so really just wanted people to confirm/deny. I guess one has to assume from the lack of anything about it on the USA's own visa waiver webpage that it's not the case, so sorry to have muddied the waters on this issue.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:02 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Bear in mind the CBP and embassy websites have lots of mistakes on them, the most obvious one being the comment about how Canadian citizen visitors are only allowed to stay in the US for six months, which is not true. 8 CFR 214.2(b) says one year, not six months. The six month rule is just a rule of thumb that CBP use to determine non-immigrant intent, but there are plenty of valid reasons why you might have stayed longer, e.g. co-habiting partner, medical treatment, etc. It's not etched in stone like some people (including the embassy) seem to think. Canadian visitors generally aren't issued I-94s so there is no set limit other than the maximum limit specified in the regulations.

You will however become resident for tax purposes in the US if you stay longer than 183 days, although there are exceptions to that rule too, e.g. if you are receiving medical treatment you can file a Form 8843.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Steve_
Bear in mind the CBP and embassy websites have lots of mistakes on them, the most obvious one being the comment about how Canadian citizen visitors are only allowed to stay in the US for six months, which is not true. 8 CFR 214.2(b) says one year, not six months. The six month rule is just a rule of thumb that CBP use to determine non-immigrant intent, but there are plenty of valid reasons why you might have stayed longer, e.g. co-habiting partner, medical treatment, etc. It's not etched in stone like some people (including the embassy) seem to think. Canadian visitors generally aren't issued I-94s so there is no set limit other than the maximum limit specified in the regulations.

You will however become resident for tax purposes in the US if you stay longer than 183 days, although there are exceptions to that rule too, e.g. if you are receiving medical treatment you can file a Form 8843.
I don't imagine there are many Canadians who willingly go to the US for longer than six months at a time; that's long enough to invalidate OHIP eligibility.