Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vey quick homework question......

Vey quick homework question......

Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:33 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vey quick homework question......

Is a sonnet actually prose? Or not, becuase it's a sonnet. I am stuck and I have to do this! Help - someone, please?

Mrs Miggins xx
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vey quick homework question......

I believe sonnets are considerede poetry and not a form of prose.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Mate

A sonnet is classes as a special type of poem as it is only made up of 6 lines - gospel according to Phil

Gaynor
x
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:59 am

tell Phil to go back to school it's 3 quatrains, and one rhyming couplet which end up in 14 lines. And becaue the bloody thing rhymes I don't think my crazy English teacher will let me use it.

Anyway, hope you BBs are well, and thanks for the help (by the way, used me snow shovel for the first time today!)

Mrs M x
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:15 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

A sonnet is a poem of 14 lines.

In the English form, which is the convention that Shakespeare used, the 14 lines are comprised of 3 quatrains (3 verses of 4 lines each) and a rhyming couplet (2 lines).

So the lines are grouped as 4 + 4 + 4 + 2.

Shakespeare used a rhyme scheme that was not shared by all English sonneteers. Shakespeare's rhyme scheme was:

a
b
a
b

b
c
b
c

c
d
c
d

e
e

The meter of a sonnet is the iambic pentameter. Pentameter refers to five groups of syllables. Iambic refers to the fact that each group is comprised of two syllables, the first one un-stressed and the second one stressed. You can see this in the following line:

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day

A sonnet is a poem. It is not prose.

Edited to add: Snap!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
tell Phil to go back to school it's 3 quatrains, and one rhyming couplet which end up in 14 lines. And becaue the bloody thing rhymes I don't think my crazy English teacher will let me use it.

Anyway, hope you BBs are well, and thanks for the help (by the way, used me snow shovel for the first time today!)

Mrs M x
Glad to see someone else is up late doing their homework. I am doing a powerpoint on the ontario Personal Health Information Privacy Act.

Not sure which way you want to go on the sonnet thing but as it uses symbolism doesnt that make its poetic? Poems dont have to rhyme do they?
Anyway we were taught that sonnets were poetry.
aggh rambling. Let me get back to Health Law
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:32 am

snap back Judy

You are a complete star

Mrs Miggins xxx
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

snap back Judy

You are a complete star

Mrs Miggins xxx
not me oh well.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:04 am

And you too fellow mature student Batty, now stop ******* about and get some homework done

Mrs Miggins xx
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

And you too fellow mature student Batty, now stop ******* about and get some homework done

Mrs Miggins xx
bedtime now, its gone midnight