Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Very bad / sad day at the office...

Very bad / sad day at the office...

Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Very bad / sad day at the office...

Hey

Well, not one but two of my co-workers got let go today....!!! And they've all been there longer than me which makes it odd...?

I work in recruitment, and one was the consultant who mainly did Accounts, and the second was our Receptionist....

So the office today was very gloomy. I asked boss straight up what the deal was, and as far as she could say, that would be all the cuts, but hey, who knows? This seriously has given me the shits as you can imagine....

To kind of help us all as a team, the boss is hosting a lunch on Monday for those of us that are left, and hopefully there will be some reassurances, but life ain't so straightfoward....

Anyway - I just don't want to get fired on Tuesday as it's my birthday, let me at least have a good one!!!!

Anyone else have similar experiences recently?

Bx
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very bad / sad day at the office...

Originally Posted by bandit
Hey

Well, not one but two of my co-workers got let go today....!!! And they've all been there longer than me which makes it odd...?

I work in recruitment, and one was the consultant who mainly did Accounts, and the second was our Receptionist....

So the office today was very gloomy. I asked boss straight up what the deal was, and as far as she could say, that would be all the cuts, but hey, who knows? This seriously has given me the shits as you can imagine....

To kind of help us all as a team, the boss is hosting a lunch on Monday for those of us that are left, and hopefully there will be some reassurances, but life ain't so straightfoward....

Anyway - I just don't want to get fired on Tuesday as it's my birthday, let me at least have a good one!!!!

Bx
Oh lordy, that's not good...sorry to hear that things aren't too good at your place. At least you didn't get the chop though

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow for a pint/early birthday celebration!

Take care
Adele xx
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was an 'odd' day, and there were alot of tears.....

I just now have that gloomy feeling lurking as who knows what is going to happen with this recession..... Thought things were better in Canada than the US / UK!!!

Well, I'll buzz you early afternoon and we'll sort something out - thinking about it, is Carrie around? I'll call her now and find out!!!!

Bx
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Adele - I don't have Carri's number, can you PM it to me????

Tax
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Adele - I don't have Carri's number, can you PM it to me????

Tax
PM on its way
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was an 'odd' day, and there were alot of tears.....

I just now have that gloomy feeling lurking as who knows what is going to happen with this recession..... Thought things were better in Canada than the US / UK!!!

Well, I'll buzz you early afternoon and we'll sort something out - thinking about it, is Carrie around? I'll call her now and find out!!!!

Bx
Canada just lags behind and takes time to catch up... I dont think its gonna be as bad, but its gonna get worse before it gets better.

I was laid off back in September, and got a 2 month stint for Christmas but so far no interviews since mid-December.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:28 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

It happened in the (doctors) office where I was working last. The rest of us were assured that our jobs were safe, but the extra workload it placed on those who were left, couple with insecurity and the bad taste left in our mouths meant that many left in the months after that ..... including myself.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I have several friends who work, or shall I say used to work at EA downtown. 250 of them were laid off yesterday. A good handful of them were from the UK and I have no idea how they're going to be able to stay in Canada! The video game industry seems to be laying off everyone these days!
Old Jan 24th 2009, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

Bx

Aw Bx thats such a worry, all you can do is work your socks off hun,
Sounds silly but my mum said it feels a bit like when she was a kid during the war and everyone had to plant veg and really pull in the purse strings,
Rally together to make ends meet, some people here really are already on poverty row,
Its much worse here at the moment, large nos in companies that have survived the past recesions are going under daily, laying off, loads are down to 3 day week and drop in pay, i am really worried about OHs job he is in the city where so many have already been laid off, no ones job is secure anymore,

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Canada just lags behind and takes time to catch up... I dont think its gonna be as bad, but its gonna get worse before it gets better.

I was laid off back in September, and got a 2 month stint for Christmas but so far no interviews since mid-December.
Hope you find some work soon,

Originally Posted by Morwenna
It happened in the (doctors) office where I was working last. The rest of us were assured that our jobs were safe, but the extra workload it placed on those who were left, couple with insecurity and the bad taste left in our mouths meant that many left in the months after that ..... including myself.
Must be so hard, relief its not you yet so sad for those that did loose there jobs,

Originally Posted by Lychee
I have several friends who work, or shall I say used to work at EA downtown. 250 of them were laid off yesterday. A good handful of them were from the UK and I have no idea how they're going to be able to stay in Canada! The video game industry seems to be laying off everyone these days!
Thats such a shame when it takes so much hard work and stress to actually get there, also if they were to return here there is nothing here for them as far as work goes, i hope things don't get as bad as here, really is quite depressing.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

calgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nice

Hey

Bx
Hi B

Sorry to hear what's happening at work - you know it's not that unusual in recruitment when times are like this. They will always shed the non revenue generating staff as they are simply an overhead cost. It sounds brutal but for the business owners it's simply economics. As a consultant you are generating an income stream for the business.....so are more valuable to them.

Keep smiling and happy birthday for Tuesday!

Julie
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:40 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

BC ferries laid off around 100 jobs last week....