Verbing

Old May 5th 2009, 2:14 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Verbing

Not sure if this subject has been threaded before. but...

I was speaking to an otherwise pleasant lady on the telephone today who advised me that I could log on to her company's website and "... transact at my convenience." As in, make the transaction. Ack.

I was also recently speaking to a friend about the hoo-hah over the BBC's coverage of the Olympics where the presenters said things like "so-and-so has just medalled in the swimming", or "Britain is expected to medal at the archery." It's enough to apoplectise a sensitive soul.

At least my computer doesn't like the word "medalled", perhaps ironically suggesting "meddled" instead.
Old May 5th 2009, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Verbing

I deplore what has happened to our language.

For instance in the ING commercial we are told to 'grow your business'. Indeed a business can grow but since when does one grow a business?

Also in North America the words proceed and precede are not interchangeable. How often do I hear the word precede being used incorrectly. At the automated cheque out machine at my local Loblaws a pre-recorded female voice tells us to precede with our order. No one has ever corrected the message and no one seems to care.

Also, everything nowadays seems to be labeled 'an experience'. We are asked how was the movie experience instead of being asked what we thought of the film.
Old May 5th 2009, 2:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Verbing

Originally Posted by montreal mike

For instance in the ING commercial we are told to 'grow your business'. Indeed a business can grow but since when does one grow a business?
When you live in BC?
Old May 5th 2009, 2:59 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you mean...

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I deplore what has happened to our language.

As well, in North America the words proceed and precede are not interchangeable. How often do I hear the word precede being used incorrectly. At the automated cheque out machine at my local Loblaws a pre-recorded female voice tells us to precede with our order. No one has ever corrected the message and no one seems to care.

As well, everything nowadays seems to be labeled 'an experience'. We are asked how was the movie experience instead of being asked what we thought of the film.
Old May 5th 2009, 3:17 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Language changes.
Some people are idiots.
'Correct' grammar and spelling are not prerequisites for careers that involve communicating with the public.
Usage has the final say when it comes to what is accepted and what is not (even in France).

Put it all together and the only way things are going to change is when you are King and marketeers, PR clods and Mom and Pop shops run by those who spell clearance 'clearence' are first against the wall.
Old May 5th 2009, 3:31 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I love the word; 'makeable' as in "this putt is makeable" or "this chic is makeable."
Old May 5th 2009, 11:01 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

I was speaking to an otherwise pleasant lady on the telephone today who advised me that I could log on to her company's website and "... transact at my convenience." As in, make the transaction. Ack.

I was also recently speaking to a friend about the hoo-hah over the BBC's coverage of the Olympics where the presenters said things like "so-and-so has just medalled in the swimming", or "Britain is expected to medal at the archery." It's enough to apoplectise a sensitive soul.

At least my computer doesn't like the word "medalled", perhaps ironically suggesting "meddled" instead.
Everyone around here seems to refer to "Medals" as "Metals"...no idea why..well apart from them obviously being made of metal...
Old May 5th 2009, 12:46 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

......and lets not go to "text speech" moving into common usage.
Old May 5th 2009, 12:48 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
......and lets not go to "text speech" moving into common usage.
lstn m8 wot is the prblm wiv txt spk?
Old May 5th 2009, 12:51 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
lstn m8 wot is the prblm wiv txt spk?
Everything.
Old May 5th 2009, 1:01 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Everything.
fur cmmnt
Old May 5th 2009, 1:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

txt spk makes sense....for texting messages where display space is at a minimum and speed is important. Neither applies here.

Fortunately, not many use it seriously here.
Old May 5th 2009, 1:06 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Everything.

tru dat
Old May 5th 2009, 3:35 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

<pedant mode>
Actually, there's nothing wrong with "transact" as a verb. It has been a verb (transitive, often with "business" as the object) almost as long as transaction has been a noun in common use (15th century). It's derived from the Latin verb transagere - to drive across. It's the intransitive use that's new, and I'd agree that grates a little.
</pedant mode>
Old May 5th 2009, 3:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
tru dat
Now is that text speak or scouse?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.