Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

varifocal contact lenses

varifocal contact lenses

Old Oct 5th 2009, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default varifocal contact lenses

Does anyone have these? I'm thinking about getting some soon and wondered if they are easy to get used to etc. I'm ok with ordinary daily contacts and have varifocal specs, but am tired of the dints in the side of my nose, the sore ear from the arms, the expense of a new pair for my prescrpition.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:20 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: varifocal contact lenses

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Does anyone have these? I'm thinking about getting some soon and wondered if they are easy to get used to etc. I'm ok with ordinary daily contacts and have varifocal specs, but am tired of the dints in the side of my nose, the sore ear from the arms, the expense of a new pair for my prescrpition.
Ask your optician if you are suitable for a mono vision prescription. Thats what I wear, they over power one eye, which becomes your reading eye and the other is your distance, it works for me but I think its down to your eyes. My left eye apparently is lazy so it cope.s with being over powered.

Just a thought, its worth asking.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Miss Clinque
Ask your optician if you are suitable for a mono vision prescription. Thats what I wear, they over power one eye, which becomes your reading eye and the other is your distance, it works for me but I think its down to your eyes. My left eye apparently is lazy so it cope.s with being over powered.

Just a thought, its worth asking.
I used to do that but it doesn't work so well now. I think the difference is too great now.

For work I need to be able to see fine detail on a screen and this combination doesnt do it. I still have to put reading glasses on over them to read.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:29 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have these? I'm thinking about getting some soon and wondered if they are easy to get used to etc.
My OH uses monthly varifocal lenses. It took 6mths or so of trial and error to find the right brand that suits her, but she's very happy with them now. She leaves them in for several days at a time, then will take them out overnight, give them a clean and re-use them again.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:30 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to do that but it doesn't work so well now. I think the difference is too great now.

For work I need to be able to see fine detail on a screen and this combination doesnt do it. I still have to put reading glasses on over them to read.
To be honest I am getting that way too, but I am due a sight test so didnt know if it was that - well I was hoping. My lefy eye has the highest + power that there is so not sure where that will leave me. I tend to wear my varifocal's if I am reading at home. it makes life more comfortable.

Let me know if you get the lenses.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

I'm having a trawl around the eye places on Thursday and will book in somewhere for an appointment.

My eyes have a complicated prescription, -9ish myopia, astigmatism, and presbyopia. Some years ago I tried the lenses that you leave in overnight and had a nasty reaction to them which meant I couldn't wear lenses at all for a few months so am wary of trying them again. I like the idea of dailies, the lack of having to clean them etc.

6 months sounds a long time to get the right type, I hope that isn't typical.

Thanks to both of you for replying.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

I just use dailies, they probably work out more expensive in the long run but I like the handiness of them, plus my prescription still hasn't settled so would hate to spend all that money on permanent lenses if they were gonna be no good to me after a while I also hated the idea of having to clean them.

The monthly lenses aren't too bad apparently, I've heard a few people complain about the overnight ones though. I have astigmatism too so contact lenses are never as clear as glasses with this for some reason.

I try not to wear contact lenses too much though after my optician told me wearing them too much would would cause veins to grow on the eyes eventually due to the lack of oxygen or something.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kirstine
I just use dailies, they probably work out more expensive in the long run but I like the handiness of them, plus my prescription still hasn't settled so would hate to spend all that money on permanent lenses if they were gonna be no good to me after a while I also hated the idea of having to clean them.

The monthly lenses aren't too bad apparently, I've heard a few people complain about the overnight ones though. I have astigmatism too so contact lenses are never as clear as glasses with this for some reason.

I try not to wear contact lenses too much though after my optician told me wearing them too much would would cause veins to grow on the eyes eventually due to the lack of oxygen or something.
Yep, I had this problem once. Couldn't wear lenses for over a year. Then I started with the daily lenses, these are supposed to be fine for vascularisation as they are thin and have a higher water content.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

timballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nice

I used to suffer from this too, very badly, and really had to restrict my wearing time even with dailies, but there is a new monthly one which is great if you have this problem. I get mine from Specsavers in the UK - they are called 'easyvision' aquayes and are described as 'silicone hydrogel monthly adan lenses'. They are soooo comfy. I wear them ALL day, like 17hrs, had them for a couple of years now, get regular check-ups and my eyes are fine. I tend to take them out at night and soak them, but have worn them overnight a few times and they've been fine too.

And only £15 per month which I think is great. Hope I can get similar in Canada.