Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vancouver property rental – finding somewhere before we go

Vancouver property rental – finding somewhere before we go

Old Oct 31st 2011, 11:00 am
Just Joined

jenintheden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vancouver property rental – finding somewhere before we go

We’re looking to move to Vancouver from the UK in early January. We will want to rent somewhere (2 bed probably in North Vancouver or Westside).

It would obviously be nice to have somewhere to live sorted before we move (with all our stuff). I’m considering going for a week in early December to find a flat.

How quickly does the rental market turnover in Vancouver? Would I be able to sign a contract in early December to move in in early January?

How competitive is the rental market (is it hard to find somewhere good (and reasonably priced)?)

Do you think going on a home-finding trip makes sense or would we be better off just staying in a cheap hotel when we arrive in January and sorting it out then?

Thanks!
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:43 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver property rental – finding somewhere before we go

Originally Posted by jenintheden
We’re looking to move to Vancouver from the UK in early January. We will want to rent somewhere (2 bed probably in North Vancouver or Westside).

It would obviously be nice to have somewhere to live sorted before we move (with all our stuff). I’m considering going for a week in early December to find a flat.

How quickly does the rental market turnover in Vancouver? Would I be able to sign a contract in early December to move in in early January?

How competitive is the rental market (is it hard to find somewhere good (and reasonably priced)?)

Do you think going on a home-finding trip makes sense or would we be better off just staying in a cheap hotel when we arrive in January and sorting it out then?

Thanks!
I'd just stay in a motel and look to move into a rental on Feb 1st. This way you can figure out the areas you like and the ones you don't.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I don't disagree with Aviator's post. However, if you really want to get somewhere sorted in advance:

Immediate thought - where will you work? That is probably the most important factor on where to live. Remember that you will likely have to commit to a one year rental term so if the commute is difficult it might get very frustrating. Two nice locations though.

Cost of flight + one week hotel in December + one extra month's rent in January vs hotel in January.

Good places turn over quickly. There is a low vacancy rate. Yes, you could sign a contract in December and move in in early January.

Do you have your Canadian back account set up? Many landlords will require rent payment by PAD (like direct debit) or a series of post-dated cheques.

It depends what you mean by reasonable. It is quite a tight, competitive market. Good and cheap is hard to find and will go very quickly. Good and reasonable? You should be able to find something as long as your idea of reasonable is reasonable.

Thanks!
Probably the latter but if you feel that having somewhere to go to straight away is important it can be done.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

jenintheden is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tips. I’m erring on the side of us just finding somewhere when we move in January.

My husband’s job is in Kitsliano. I’ll be looking for something once we’ve moved.

We don’t have Canadian bank accounts yet.

I’ve heard that it’s very useful to have a good-tenant-reference when trying to find somewhere to live. However as we own our own home, neither of us has rented for years. Do you think this is likely to cause us problems?
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips. I’m erring on the side of us just finding somewhere when we move in January.

My husband’s job is in Kitsliano. I’ll be looking for something once we’ve moved.

I’ve heard that it’s very useful to have a good-tenant-reference when trying to find somewhere to live. However as we own our own home, neither of us has rented for years. Do you think this is likely to cause us problems?
Some landlords would welcome former homeowners, as they tend to look after the property more. Nobody can say if not having a reference will or will not be a problem, it is up to each landlord. Your budget is going to help you decide where to live, Kits is pretty expensive.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 5:07 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Working in Kits, i'd personally not live in North Van. The Lions Gate would sap my will to live.

We owned prior to coming and that wasn't an issue.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 5:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Nobody can say if not having a reference will or will not be a problem
When I rented downtown the only references they wanted were financial. I used my employment contract, but a bank statement would probably have done the job too.

We moved into a temporary place in the west end for a month or so and went to look at places as they came up. The impression I had (this is in 2008 mind, but I don't think that much has changed since then in the rental market) is that the occupancy rates are very high, but there is also a lot of liquidity. Because of this I don't think you'll have a problem finding places, but as others have said get an idea of what your budget is and what you can expect from it first. Don't assume that $1000 will get you a 1000sqft 2 bed room place with nice views for instance.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 5:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Working in Kits, i'd personally not live in North Van. The Lions Gate would sap my will to live.

We owned prior to coming and that wasn't an issue.
Depends where. Sea bus + normal bus would probably get you to kits quicker than driving over the lions gate, though it would still be a sucky commute. In the OP's position, I think I'd live somewhere in or close to downtown and use transit if kits itself was outside my budget.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 5:30 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Depends where. Sea bus + normal bus would probably get you to kits quicker than driving over the lions gate, though it would still be a sucky commute. In the OP's position, I think I'd live somewhere in or close to downtown and use transit if kits itself was outside my budget.
True. I assumed a commute to Sea Bus - Sea Bus to downtown - downtown to Kits. I hate commuting so this would be just as bad as driving for me

But as you say, budget is key.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:07 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
When we moved to Edmonton in 06, we rented a place in advance, through an agency on the internet. It looked good in the photos. We were supposed to have the ground floor of a bungalow with use of the garden, which we wanted for our two cats.

It turned into a nightmare. We'd not realised we were moving into the drugs neighborhood. There was a crack house next door. Our downstairs neighbour was a drug addict with a fierce dog. The first night there was a knife fight in the street outside. We couldn't afford to break the lease, so we stayed there until our home in the UK was sold and we could buy somewhere else. It was a hairy few weeks.

So I'd go with waiting until you can check out places before you sign the lease.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that commuting from North Van to Kits everyday, either driving or by transit, will wear thin very quickly. There should be a reasonable selection of rentals. It is as good a place as any to live while you get to know Vancouver properly.

Get your bank account sorted as soon as you get here. Order some cheques as they don't come automatically. A letter for the employer saying the employment is permanent might be helpful.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:39 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

For kits, I'd consider the West End, Yaletown, DT, South Granville, Kerrisdale etc for rentals.

Good luck!
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
For kits, I'd consider the West End, Yaletown, DT, South Granville, Kerrisdale etc for rentals.

Good luck!
I agree. If I lived in the westend or yaletown and worked in kits I'd commute by push bike along the seawall.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:48 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I agree. If I lived in the westend or yaletown and worked in kits I'd commute by push bike along the seawall.
Definitely. I lived in N Van and worked by Kits. It was an ok commute but the Lions Gate can be a pain in the arse outside summer and seabus i always found too slow.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Jonny2Vests is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Definitely. I lived in N Van and worked by Kits. It was an ok commute but the Lions Gate can be a pain in the arse outside summer and seabus i always found too slow.
How long a commute are we talking from N Van to Kits?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.