Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Police.. Good COP bad COP

Vancouver Police.. Good COP bad COP

Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

dieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of light
Default Vancouver Police.. Good COP bad COP

After working in my office based career for 8 years and moving over to Canada in a tough economic climate, I'm debating about a complete change of career. No one is hiring senior marketing people at the moment (or should I say not hiring me), so it could be a good time to try something new.

Moving to Canada was a huge risk for us, and we did it as we didn’t want to live life with any regrets. So maybe a new country could be a catalyst to change my career too.

I'm semi-seriously thinking about joining the VPD. In my old job it would have been too big of a pay cut to consider, but with changing circumstances the salary drop won't be too bad, and there seem to be stacks of added benefits like great pensions etc. I'm 31 so hopefully this doesn’t count as a mid-life crisis

Has anyone else thought the same, or actually joined the VPD? Any advice, pros and cons welcome.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:18 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vancouver Police.. Good COP bad COP

Originally Posted by dieseltank
After working in my office based career for 8 years and moving over to Canada in a tough economic climate, I'm debating about a complete change of career. No one is hiring senior marketing people at the moment (or should I say not hiring me), so it could be a good time to try something new.

Moving to Canada was a huge risk for us, and we did it as we didn’t want to live life with any regrets. So maybe a new country could be a catalyst to change my career too.

I'm semi-seriously thinking about joining the VPD. In my old job it would have been too big of a pay cut to consider, but with changing circumstances the salary drop won't be too bad, and there seem to be stacks of added benefits like great pensions etc. I'm 31 so hopefully this doesn’t count as a mid-life crisis

Has anyone else thought the same, or actually joined the VPD? Any advice, pros and cons welcome.
I live in Vancouver but I;m a mountie for the Burnaby RCMP, although I often work with the VPD guys. I work as a major crime investigator.

You have to be a citizen for the mounties - VPD will take you as a landed immigrant.

It's a great career and pays quite well here compared to the uk. Benefits are also top shelf. Base 5 year member salary is around 78,000 (start at around 50,000 i believe) a year I think, although with overtime a typical member would easily make over 90,000 or more if you want to. RCMP wages are more or less the same, although you reach the senior rate at 3 years instead of 5. Every increase in rank is around another 8,000 per year or so. A sergeant for example would be on base wage of close to 95,000 per year with service pay. Overtime is paid at time and a half or double time.

Pension is good with first pension entitlement at the commencement of the 20 th year of service, 50 percent is at 25 th year and 2 % for every year thereafter.

Both forces have their good and bad points.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by dboy; Apr 13th 2009 at 10:29 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

dieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of light

thanks dboy..

I've got my PR, so can look to join the VPD, but not the RCMP. Were you in the Police before you came over or was it completely new to you. Also do you think a 31 is too old to be a rookie?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:59 pm

thanks dboy..

I've got my PR, so can look to join the VPD, but not the RCMP. Were you in the Police before you came over or was it completely new to you. Also do you think a 31 is too old to be a rookie?
I was in the Royal Navy in the UK, not the police. I joined at 30 and turned 31 in training. Certainly not too old at 31, plus in Canada you can't be discriminated against by age. There has been a lot of hiring going on as of late.

It truly is a great career with lost of opportunities. A most definitely a recession proof profession. You may want to make an appointment to meet with a recruiter or attend an information session. It is competitive to get in and requires a certain amount of commitment to the selection process.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dboy
I was in the Royal Navy in the UK, not the police. I joined at 30 and turned 31 in training. Certainly not too old at 31, plus in Canada you can't be discriminated against by age. There has been a lot of hiring going on as of late.

It truly is a great career with lost of opportunities. A most definitely a recession proof profession. You may want to make an appointment to meet with a recruiter or attend an information session. It is competitive to get in and requires a certain amount of commitment to the selection process.
Thanks dboy, its good to know I won't be the old bugger on the force. I plan to go to a session in the next few weeks and also arrange a ride around. Fingers crossed.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it dieseltank , 31 is a good age to enter the Police Force
and best of luck to you.
Yoong
Old Apr 14th 2009, 3:10 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yoong
31 is a good age to enter the Police Force
and best of luck to you.
Yoong
I agree. Old enough to have some life experience and maturity, instead of mummy's boys who lack initiative and common sense.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I agree too - 31 is not at all too old - and you will bring a more mature perspective to your career. Go for it. Good luck
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

thanks everyone... I'll keep you posted!!!:
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
It's a great career and pays quite well here compared to the uk. Benefits are also top shelf. Base 5 year member salary is around 78,000 (start at around 50,000 i believe) a year I think, although with overtime a typical member would easily make over 90,000 or more if you want to.
Are those salaries sufficient to be able to afford to live in Vancouver? I know that this is a "how long is a piece of string" question, but it does seem very low from the expensive real estate capital of Canada point of view
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:47 pm

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Are those salaries sufficient to be able to afford to live in Vancouver? I know that this is a "how long is a piece of string" question, but it does seem very low from the expensive real estate capital of Canada point of view
Don't forget the overtime! Plus I think that the Transit Police get higher starting wages too.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

This is the main problem that we've found in BC, and especially Vancouver. The cost of living is high, but the salaries are relatively low. When we moved from London we knew our income would drop, but we thought that the low cost of living would keep us proportional the same. However we have far less disposible income and save virtually nothing on a month by month basis.

We moved to BC for the lifestyle, not to make our millions, but that said, worrying about your next hydro bill and not being able to enjoy a meal or a lift pass once in a while sucks. We are determined to make it work over here, but for us the financial restraints of BC living are our biggest headaches.

The Police Salary (after a couple of years) is better than many positions I've seen advertised for Senior Management.... crazy!!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:42 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Marketing jobs are out there, but you need to be patient - I wasn't actively looking for a while due to running my own business within the restrictions of a TWP, but I secured a marketing director's job here without any other employed experience in Canada. It was probably the only role I noticed in 2+ years that I was really interested in (rather than applying just for the sake of getting on a payroll).

Best of luck.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by R I C H
Marketing jobs are out there, but you need to be patient - I wasn't actively looking for a while due to running my own business within the restrictions of a TWP, but I secured a marketing director's job here without any other employed experience in Canada. It was probably the only role I noticed in 2+ years that I was really interested in (rather than applying just for the sake of getting on a payroll).

Best of luck.
Cheers RICH..

I am working as a Marketing Manager now, so at least I'm working, but the pay is the problem.

Going back to the original post, I think the application process for being in the Police takes a while, so I think that I should apply and then if no other roles come up in the mean time then it will give me the opportunity to start something new.

Well done on your job! Its good to hear that people do find the right jobs for them!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 11:44 pm

Depends where in vancouver and probably more significantly when you bought. Overtime becomes more of a necessity then a luxury I find. Its only expensive to own - renting is not bad - I compared downtown Vancouver to city centre manchester and found overall Vancouver cheaper.

One thing is for sure, you don't get rich as a copper, but its not a bad living overall and the wages are higher than coppers in the uk. Most of the overtime is double time (sometimes even double and half or triple) which really bumps the income up - someone not afraid of work in a investigative unit could easily earn in excess of 115,000 -120,000 per year. Plus the benefits are excellent. Medical/dental plan, disability, life insurance, pension, unlimited sick days, In my position i also get a car, cell phone, free transit, 5 weeks holidays (not bad by canadian standards). And lets not forget the funny hat!

I was speaking with a guy who is now a sergeant in recruiting and 12 months ago, they were having a hard time finding people, now, they can;t keep up.

Last edited by dboy; Apr 14th 2009 at 11:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.