Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vancouver - for one day

Vancouver - for one day

Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all
Default Vancouver - for one day

We are flying into Vancouver on 3 May and leaving again on 5 May - we only really have one full day - so can you give us some suggestions for seeing the nicest places/doing the best things - we are going to be tourists for the day so will have our packs on our backs and our cameras hung around our necks!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:49 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver - for one day

Stanley Park and the Aquarium.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:03 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikelesley
We are flying into Vancouver on 3 May and leaving again on 5 May - we only really have one full day - so can you give us some suggestions for seeing the nicest places/doing the best things - we are going to be tourists for the day so will have our packs on our backs and our cameras hung around our necks!
Grouse Mountain, great views if its a nice day, Stanley Park (what's left of it). There is a trolley bus service around Vancouver and Stanley Park that you can jump on and off wherever you like.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:11 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Wreck Beach.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:43 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Wreck Beach.
Now there's a story - Some work colleagues sent my family and I down there soon after we arrived. Said it was a nice beach, which it is, they forgot one little detail though. My eldest (5 at the time) did not want to leave. There's more, but not for this thread!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:48 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't go east of Gas Town after dark.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Danny B
Just don't go east of Gas Town after dark.
Or in daylight!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:55 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend Vancouver Suggested Itineraries, a Wiki article on the TripAdvisor website. The article essentially is the one that I wrote, although subsequent contributors have tweaked it here and there.

With one day at your disposal, I think you'll probably have time only for the Downtown Itinerary that is described on that page.
x
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:42 am
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I recommend Vancouver Suggested Itineraries, a Wiki article on the TripAdvisor website. The article essentially is the one that I wrote, although subsequent contributors have tweaked it here and there.

With one day at your disposal, I think you'll probably have time only for the Downtown Itinerary that is described on that page.
x
I'd send more Karma your way, but the system wont let me. Anyway well done Judy.

If weather is good, then I'd go with Grouse for the view, Capilano suspension bridge for the thrill, and Stanley Park. Hire bikes a really get around to see it, though might be a bit exhausting. End up in English Bay for a meal. Raincity Grill for a real treat (one of our top restaurants).

Warmly,

Frank
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Frank'n Sense
Raincity Grill for a real treat (one of our top restaurants).
Vera's Burger Shack, a couple of doors away, is at least as good.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Grouse Mountain and Capilano suspension bridge are good, but expensive. If you have a car you can get a similar view from the road up to Cypress Bowl, and a better thrill from the Lynn Valley suspension bridge for free (they don't call me tight for nothing). On the North Shore a visit to the Capilano dam and Deep Cove is also worthwhile.

However, if you have just one day then Stanley Park has to be there. You can rent cycles from a store on the corner of Denman and Georgia and bike around the park. Easy in an hour if don't stop (buy why wouldn't you?). You can extend your ride around False Creek and right out to Spanish banks for a great view back to downtown.

The cycle ride stops at Wreck Beach. I recommend avoiding Wreck Beach if the weather is cold - it is not good for self-esteem.

For eating, it seems ashame to spend a day in Vancouver without sushi, so I recommend Miko Sushi on Robson.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
However, if you have just one day then Stanley Park has to be there. You can rent cycles from a store on the corner of Denman and Georgia and bike around the park. Easy in an hour if don't stop (buy why wouldn't you?). You can extend your ride around False Creek and right out to Spanish banks for a great view back to downtown.

The cycle ride stops at Wreck Beach. I recommend avoiding Wreck Beach if the weather is cold - it is not good for self-esteem.

For eating, it seems ashame to spend a day in Vancouver without sushi, so I recommend Miko Sushi on Robson.
Good choice - that itinerary is probably one of the more unique aspects of Vancouver. The views are pretty special. And I'd heartily agree with Miko - it's in the minority of sushi places actually staffed by Japanese people!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikelesley
I recommend you head over to Vancouver International Airport (on "Zee Izlaand", mein Furher) and hop on a plane to Montreal, QC. Bags of things to do and see - enlightenment and real Canadian culture - or the likes of Club Super Contact (check out the neons . . . ).

Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Grouse Mountain and Capilano suspension bridge are good, but expensive.
If you book a table and eat in the restaurant (where they serve cooked food, not raw fish) on Grouse, the cable car ride is free.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
If you book a table and eat in the restaurant (where they serve cooked food, not raw fish) on Grouse, the cable car ride is free.
Having seen their prices, I should bloody hope so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.