Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island - 2nd Time Lucky?

Vancouver Island - 2nd Time Lucky?

Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:47 am
Hopefully :)

CampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant future
Default Vancouver Island - 2nd Time Lucky?

Hi,

Hope someone can help?

We are planning to come out to the Island in August for a month to have a good look around with a view to making a decision about maybe giving BC another go later next year?

Being honest about this, it will be our 2nd attempt at emigrating i.e. we moved over to BC (Van Mainland / Okanagan) in Spring 2003 with our eldest (then just 12 mths old) and it fell apart horribly.

I won't go into the reasons for fear of boring you, but funnily enough we made exactly the mistake that I've just been reading about in the 'I'm so sad' thread - we sold up everything and as a result it took us a good 2/3 years to get settled back in Chester.

Long story short, but life moves on so quickly and by the time No. 2 and No. 3 appeared we now realise that its been nearly 5 years since we came back and the irony is now that we have kids, we want to bring them up anywhere other than the UK - though no doubt when they are teenagers they will hate us for it

Hence the trip.

We are looking to spend a week or so looking around Victoria (Sannitch Peninsula, Western Communities etc.) and another week looking around Cowichan i.e. Cow Bay, Cobble Hill, Ladysmith up to Naniamo etc.

That will leave us with 2 weeks to do a bit more digging in any locations / communities that give good first impressions and / or maybe travel further up the East Coast if worthwhile?

In terms of advice, we'd would really appreciate comments about where might be a good central place to base ourselves in respect to looking around Victoria and its communities and equally a good base for looking around Cowichan.

Obviously with the kids, we can't just be a car each day driving from one place to another (doing the adult research bit) without a break so we need to try and find a happy mix where perhaps one day we can kick back and relax (as far as the kids are concerned this is a holiday and given the last 3 years of UK summer weather they're actually very excited about doing stuff 'outside') but equally when we do get out & about to look around (adult time - but again with kids) we are not in for a 5 hour road trip each day.

If anyone could help with suggestion for the 2x bases we're looking for / offer any other practical advice (nice places you've found to live / places you would avoid like the plague) we'd really appreciate it.

We're bit older and wiser than we were 5 years ago but we could still learn a hell of a lot from people who have ' ... been there and done it ...'

Thanks
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver Island - 2nd Time Lucky?

Hi, we emigrated to the Cowichan Valley 5 years ago and love living here. We came out on our reccie trip in 2002 and stayed in downtown Victoria and Shawnigan Lake. Staying in Victoria enabled us to be able to cover Victoria and surrounding areas like Sooke but also have the touristy bit on hand for evenings or days we just wanted to relax. We stayed in Shawnigan Lake because it was a waterfront condo with pool etc so, again, it gave us a base with things to do but was accessible to the Cowichan Valley.
A place that you may consider staying and you have mentioned it as a place to look at is Cowichan Bay. That is one of my favourite places and is still easy to get to other parts of Cowichan both North and South.
When we emigrated we decided on the Cowichan Valley as it is commutable to both Victoria (around 40 minutes) and Nanaimo (around 50 minutes).
We live in Cobble Hill and enjoy the area and find everyone friendly and have kids that go to the local schools and are doing well.
Hope this helps.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:52 pm

CampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant future

Thanks for your reply - 40 / 50 mins is better than Chester to Manchester (approx. 75 mins) or Chester to Liverpool (approx. 60 mins) and having access to 2 employment centres sounds like a sound strategy.

Do those travel times hold throughout the year or do they get worse in winter?

I've seen PR pictures of Cobble Hill and it looks fantastic - what area's / Neighbourhoods / Communities did you consider living in on the Victoria side if any?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, the travel times are pretty stable although in Winter if we have snow it does slow the Malahat drive down, particularly over the summit. We have lived here 5 years and in that time the Malahat has been closed on max 10 times through snow or an accident. Lots of people who live in the Cowichan Valley commute to Victoria, they just prefer living out of the city and housing is cheaper.

We looked at Saanich area for Victoria but decided that we also wanted to live out of the city so looked at Sooke and Cowichan. We personally preferred Cowichan over Sooke becuase of the location, access to both Victoria and Nanaimo and the schools here.

We live in the Cherry Point area of Cobble Hill, close to Cowichan Bay and have told our kids regardless of where they end up in the World in the future, we are here to stay.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:33 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the Cowichan Valley and love it here as there is pretty much everything you need plus it is usually a little bit warmer than the rest of the Island! It is useful being approximately midway between Victoria and Nanaimo for ferries, airports etc and houses are cheaper than Victoria and the Saanich peninsular.

I guess it depends on where you will be working, personally I wouldn't consider commuting to Victoria from here as it would drive me mad especially in the winter months.

Let me know if you need a realtor as I can recommend an excellent one.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Another thing is when you come over on your trip remember to bring resumes that you can take to prospective employees. Also while you are here you could look at schools as well. These factors could have a big bearing on where you finally decide to relocate. If you would like to meet up when you are here just let us know and we will be happy to meet, share experiences and answer questions you may have.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:10 am

Hi everyone -

Sorry for the confusion - I placed this thread on this forum (The Maple Leaf) before realising it should probably just be on the 'Canada Forum.'

Anyway I know maddhobbs etc have found us there (Tital = Thinkin of the Island ... again) and on the basis of trying to keep things simple, is there any way of me now transferring two threads into one?

If not, I'm going to persist with the Thinkin of the Island ... again - love to see you there?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CampbellsRComing
Hi everyone -

Sorry for the confusion - I placed this thread on this forum (The Maple Leaf) before realising it should probably just be on the 'Canada Forum.'

Anyway I know maddhobbs etc have found us there (Tital = Thinkin of the Island ... again) and on the basis of trying to keep things simple, is there any way of me now transferring two threads into one?

If not, I'm going to persist with the Thinkin of the Island ... again - love to see you there?
These mystic powers are given only to the Gods. (Sorry, Mods. Ask one).
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:13 am

That would be great - thank you so much.

As you've probaly guessed by now I placed this thread on this forum (The Maple Leaf) before realising it should probably just be on the 'Canada Forum.'

I'm going to persist with the 'Thinkin of the Island ... again' thread on the Canada Forum - it'd be good to touch base with you again there.

Thanks for the time your spending to answer daft questiions

Andy & Sal
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
I live in the Cowichan Valley and love it here as there is pretty much everything you need plus it is usually a little bit warmer than the rest of the Island! It is useful being approximately midway between Victoria and Nanaimo for ferries, airports etc and houses are cheaper than Victoria and the Saanich peninsular.

I guess it depends on where you will be working, personally I wouldn't consider commuting to Victoria from here as it would drive me mad especially in the winter months.

Let me know if you need a realtor as I can recommend an excellent one.
Edna,

As you've probaly guessed by I placed this thread on this forum (The Maple Leaf) before realising it should probably just be on the 'Canada Forum.'

I'm going to persist with the 'Thinkin of the Island ... again' thread on the Canada Forum - it'd be good to touch base with you again there.

Thanks for the time

Andy & Sal
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this is of interest as far as accommodation is concerned, but we spent last weekend in Nanaimo on 'the island' in a fab all mod cons log cabin. Huge double bath, double shower, dishwasher, washing machine etc.

$100CAN per night and very plush. Room for five and we took the dog as well.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
Not sure if this is of interest as far as accommodation is concerned, but we spent last weekend in Nanaimo on 'the island' in a fab all mod cons log cabin. Huge double bath, double shower, dishwasher, washing machine etc.

$100CAN per night and very plush. Room for five and we took the dog as well.
Thanks - how the weather in Kelowna?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
These mystic powers are given only to the Gods. (Sorry, Mods. Ask one).
I'll give it a go!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CampbellsRComing
Thanks - how the weather in Kelowna?
It's great thanks.

Kids were on the beach and in the lake on Monday (pic below), dog was in the lake at the dog beach on Weds evening. Today went up skiing for the last weekend of the season!

Pretty good all round...although spring is sprung and there's lots of yard work to be done....dangnabbit.
Attached Thumbnails Vancouver Island - 2nd Time Lucky?-jennyandthegirlsonthebeach.jpg  
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
It's great thanks.

Kids were on the beach and in the lake on Monday (pic below), dog was in the lake at the dog beach on Weds evening. Today went up skiing for the last weekend of the season!

Pretty good all round...although spring is sprung and there's lots of yard work to be done....dangnabbit.
How have the girls adjusted to being there (I think you moved over in July '07? according to your summary.)

I must admit that's one of the things I'm concerned about with the boys but that said at least they've been to Canada plenty of times and seem to associate it with sunny summer holidays

They're over again with Sally in July so here's hoping for good weather again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.