Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vancouver homes pricier than London

Vancouver homes pricier than London

Old May 19th 2011, 12:10 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver homes pricier than London

I bet it sells. Great area and concrete which I assume is still a plus in Vancouver. I hadn't realised quite how expensive Vancouver was though. I think I have a similar condo in Toronto (in terms of location etc). Nearly 400 sguare foot bigger, 2 baths etc. 200K cheaper.
I've thought I might like to move back to Vancouver as I get older but this is scary.

Might be world class, but even so.....
Old May 19th 2011, 12:18 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine has a 2 bed 2 bath 800 sf * condo around West 4th and Arbutus. It has a nice view over English Bay. She is thinking of selling. Her son is off to university and 800 sf is obviously way too big for one person. Her realtor said putting an eight at the front might put off some potential buyers so she is thinking of listing it at $799,000.

* How on earth do you fit two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, and a living area with seating and room for a baby grand into 800 sf?
Old May 19th 2011, 12:25 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
A friend of mine has a 2 bed 2 bath 800 sf * condo around West 4th and Arbutus. It has a nice view over English Bay. She is thinking of selling. Her son is off to university and 800 sf is obviously way too big for one person. Her realtor said putting an eight at the front might put off some potential buyers so she is thinking of listing it at $799,000.

* How on earth do you fit two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, and a living area with seating and room for a baby grand into 800 sf?
I have no idea. That is the norm now in Toronto, though not quite at that price. The funny thing is I remember buying in Vancouver and for a long time people in the building were saying no-one would get their money back. This condo is nice, but the den has no window and is essentially a storage room. Spacious it is not...
It equates to just over £400,000
Old May 19th 2011, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

When living in London last year it was claimed in the local press there than 75% of London sales were to overseas foreigners.
A number of these were from outside the European Union coming from the Far East,countries like Malaysia.
One example giving was a Malaysian school teacher buying sight unseen,never been to London and possibly never will,through a broker in her country,purely to rent out and help fund her retirement.
Meanwhile local folk were finding it hard to get into the over inflated market.

Another resourse rich country experiecing the same as Canada is here in Australia.
Our two countries share some of the most over priced real estate in the world.
Where will it all end?
Old May 19th 2011, 1:41 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Where will it all end?
With hyper-inflation for one of the west's currencies. Now where's my tin foil hat?
Old May 19th 2011, 2:17 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE

That much? Crikey. Near us they're around that price but on the water (South False Creek) and much bigger with direct city and water views with great transit.

The one bedroom mentioned here has me gob smacked. It looks to be at least $100k over priced looking at other alternatives in more favourable areas.

Vancouver real estate really is a bit odd these days.....
Old May 19th 2011, 2:30 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
That much? Crikey. Near us they're around that price but on the water (South False Creek) and much bigger with direct city and water views with great transit.

The one bedroom mentioned here has me gob smacked. It looks to be at least $100k over priced looking at other alternatives in more favourable areas.

Vancouver real estate really is a bit odd these days.....
That is going to be the asking price - it doesn't mean she will get it. It is a nice condo in a nice block with very nice views. Similar places in Kits without views seem to go for about $100,000 to $120,000 less.

We go there to watch the fireworks so we'll be a bit p*ss*d if she does sell.
Old May 19th 2011, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point

Stunned by the prices up here in the happening and buzzy British Properties. Homes that have been on the market over the winter have suddenly sold in the last month, with this one.

http://www.sothebysrealty.ca/idx/cms/8861/details.html

sold on the day for full asking price. Suspect this is a land value.
Old May 19th 2011, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
China has about 500,000 US Dollar Millionaires.
I did not know that. Thanks for clarifying.
Old May 20th 2011, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I bet it sells. Great area and concrete which I assume is still a plus in Vancouver. I hadn't realised quite how expensive Vancouver was though. I think I have a similar condo in Toronto (in terms of location etc). Nearly 400 sguare foot bigger, 2 baths etc. 200K cheaper.
I've thought I might like to move back to Vancouver as I get older but this is scary.

Might be world class, but even so.....
Why is Vancouver "world class"?
Old May 20th 2011, 3:31 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Why is Vancouver "world class"?
Why is irony not appreciated?